Army List 1999 Points for Tournament - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 06:09 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lootauk View Post
stormravens can carry 12 models, put crowe with the 10man purifier squad.
As has been said, you can't do that.

Crowe is a useful unit and can make a real difference particularly in challenges and making Puries Troops is a great help.

It's getting him to and from is the tricky bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 11:03 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post

Crowe is a useful unit and can make a real difference particularly in challenges and making Puries Troops is a great help.

I don't know why you'd bring Crowe when you can just as easily get scoring purifiers via grand strategy. You just need to invest an inordinate amount of points into making him work that it's just not worth it.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke123 View Post
I don't know why you'd bring Crowe when you can just as easily get scoring purifiers via grand strategy. You just need to invest an inordinate amount of points into making him work that it's just not worth it.
The number of troops in your army is too important to leave to the vagaries of a D3 roll.

You can't take 6 squads of puries and hope to get troops with GS. Of course you need a GM to get GS and I often save the points and take a BC.

If you don't take Crowe you have to spend points on Termies or GKSS to fill the troop slot.

Crowe works just fine if you deploy him with just a little bit of thought.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Arlequí Bergant's Flag is: Europe

In my experience of Crowe, only to be able to put purifier for Troops is a good inherit. The purifier is a lot better that normal troops.

Destroy Land raider can be slow job and yes, if i fight towards Tau or Necron, I will die, but I do lists to at least have fun.

That list is fun, believe me.

"If you want, you can."

-Obvious-
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 12:46 PM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

I'm sure it's fun, I have fun with plenty of substandard lists. I'm currently working on a Vanilla SM detachment to bring with my Grey Knights for small scale local tourneys that I want to take casually, but that doesn't mean that the list is necessarily viable at a high end competitive level (although it would be viable if flyers weren't so damn busted...)

You submitted a tournament list for critique, and so I critiqued it from a competitive standpoint. You're more than welcome to accept or ignore that critique, but the fact of the matter is that your list simply will not excel in a competitive environment; several key factors within the metagame will effectively prevent you from doing well in the tournament. This list is pretty much going to kill anyone who isn't able to bring it down. The trick is that people who wouldn't be able to beat this are generally not going to be playing at the top tables, because if you can't deal with this, then you certainly can't deal with the stronger lists in the game. So effectively you'll only be able to beat down on the bottom of the field, so you're basically limiting yourself to placing somewhere in the middle.

But hey, so long as you're aware of that and that's fine with you, then more power to you, I wish you the best of luck at your event and hope you enjoy yourself.

EDIT:

Quote:
The number of troops in your army is too important to leave to the vagaries of a D3 roll.

You can't take 6 squads of puries and hope to get troops with GS. Of course you need a GM to get GS and I often save the points and take a BC.

If you don't take Crowe you have to spend points on Termies or GKSS to fill the troop slot.

Crowe works just fine if you deploy him with just a little bit of thought.
You see, I see people saying this, but I don't think anyone ever actually plans on bringing 6 squads of purifiers ever, you just don't have enough points for that. I can't see a list bringing more than 3 squads of Purifiers (even that's a lot), and I'd happily bring GKSS to fill up my troop squads. They're one of the best troops in the game for a reason. What do purifiers bring over GKSS in the troop slot? Better combat prowess (in your shooting army), and more psycannons at an inflated cost? I guess Fearless is pretty good, but not enough to justify the cost.

This is assuming you value scoring Purifiers at all, which frankly I don't. They don't need to score. Yes, objectives are important missions, but that doesn't mean that every goddamn model in my army needs to be scoring in order for me to include them.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm

Last edited by coke123; 05-16-13 at 12:54 PM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I will comment a report battle saturday night.

"If you want, you can."

-Obvious-
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 08:19 PM

Quote:

My bad i didn't realise he wasn't an independant character, new GK player here
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys!

Yesterday played the list. Well, I was playing towards other GreyKinght with Crowe and Mordrak. We played mission of Greatest Cannon Never Stop (literal translation). The other man have more luck. (resist two Orbital attack 10/1 withMordrak and Ghosts with 5+....)
Important Stormraven with Librarian don't enter until 4th turn but with Summon Call in 5th turn I put Land Raider in objective and Librarian and Purifers destroy other unit in his objectives.

All game, his Mordrak fight towards TecnoMarine and my Crowe. My tecnomarine have a Stick Nemesis Protector and Mordrak can kill with 2+ invulnerable.

I won, but strange game and my enemy also played strange.

P.S: I failed all Fusion Cannons of my StormRavens and Crusader... great day with dices...

"If you want, you can."

-Obvious-
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lootauk View Post
My bad i didn't realise he wasn't an independant character, new GK player here
You know what mate? I don't think there is one of us that didn't at one stage think Crowe was and IC, I know I certainly did, just seems logical that he would be !
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is assuming you value scoring Purifiers at all, which frankly I don't. They don't need to score. Yes, objectives are important missions, but that doesn't mean that every goddamn model in my army needs to be scoring in order for me to include them.
I wasn't really talking about the relative merits of Purifiers, rather just pointing out that :

Quote:
I don't know why you'd bring Crowe when you can just as easily get scoring purifiers via grand strategy.
Isn't really the case, mainly because there is no way to make >3 purifiers troops without Crowe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode