[2000 points] Grey Knights Competitive Lists - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!

ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia

Default [2000 points] Grey Knights Competitive Lists

Hi all,

This is my first attempt to create a Grey Knight for 6th edition, and also as a comeback to the W40K, after pausing this hobby for a long time.

List 1
This strategy is basically using the Storm Ravens to move the terminators forward. This strategy puts up much hope in the Storm Ravens, and most of the battle will be done in Assaults by the Terminators, with the Grand Master. The Purifier will hang back and provide some fire, along with the Vindicare Assassins.

My concern with this strategy is the lack of anti-air assets, and too much dependence on the Storm Ravens. This strategy is also prone to tar pits. The anti-tank capabilities of this list is also somewhat limited.

HQ
Grey Knight Grand Master (Master-crafted Nemesis Weapon, Digital Weapons)

Elite
10 x Purifier Squad (6 x Nemesis Force Sword, 4 x Psycannon, Razorback)
1 x Vindicare Assassin

Troops
10 x Terminator Squad (2 x DH, 5 x Halberd, 2 x Force Sword, 1 x Psycannon, Banner, Psybolt)
10 x Terminator Squad (2 x DH, 5 x Halberd, 2 x Force Sword, 1 x Psycannon, Psybolt)

Heavy

Fast Attack
1 x Stormraven Gunship (TL LC, TL MM)

List 2
This strategy is somewhat experimental, I want to try to reduce my over-reliance in the melee as in previous list, and instead increase the number of flyers available. This flyers are not used only for transport, but used also in engaging the enemy. I still use the Vindicare Assassin, this time coupled with the Techmarine, to provide more anti-tank capabilities and also provide more cover save.

My primary concern is this list lack any serious punch, opposed to the previous list. This list also has better anti-air capabilities, but seriously lose some firepower (due to loss of Purifier) and loss of great melee (loss of Terminators).

I also still doubt the benefit of the fortification. It is also possible to swap the fortification for a Rhino, Psybolt Ammunition for the Strike Squad, Psybolt for the Dreadnought, Extra Armour for 1 Storm Raven, and Psybolt for Rhino.

HQ
Grey Knight Grand Master (Psycothroke Grenade)

Elite
1 x Techmarine (Conversion Beam)
1 x Vindicare Assassin

Troops
10 x Terminator Squad (2 x DH, 5 x Halberd, 2 x Force Sword, 1 x Psycannon, Banner, Psybolt)
10 x Strike Squad (2 x DH, 5 x Halberd, 2 x Force Sword, 1 x Psycannon)

Heavy
1 x Dreadnought (2 x TL AC)

Fast Attack

Fortification
1 x Aegis Defense Line (1 x Icarus lascannon)

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 06:31 AM

The_One's Flag is: USA

In terms of the Aegis, the Quad gun is probably the best way to go. More shots, and most flyers are AV11 (the Stormraven is the only AV12 flyer I can think of off the top of my head).
For the Grand Master, I recently discovered the Sword is probably his best option. 2+/4++ which becomes a 3++ when he gets into CC.

In List 1:
-Razorbacks/Rhinos have become an easy first blood due to hull points, so you're better off saving the points and putting them elsewhere.
-Stormravens can only carry 6 Terminators, so I assume the game plan was to combat squad them? For their kit, I'm sure you've seen the standard: 2 swords, 2 halberds, 1 hammer per 5 guys. I thoroughly believe in this for the moments that your opponent has a Power Fist or something that will take away your armor and you can claim a 4++ on the swords. Slightly better survival odds.
-If you're worried about anti-tank, cut down one of the Terminator squads by 4 guys + the Razorback and get a Librarian with Might of Titan. Combined with Hammerhand, your hammers will be Str 12 and rolling 2D6 for armor pen...pretty much eat through any vehicle.

For list 2:
-This goes for both lists actually, Rad grenades on the Grand Master. They work when you're overwatching as well, so -1 T when you charge or are getting charged is awesome.
-Strike Squads, the most they should EVER cost (in my opinion) is 220 - 260 pts. 10 guys, 2 Psycannons, sometimes Psybolt or a Rhino. That is it. Do not bother kitting them out with Halberds and Hammers because, ideally, they will be parked on an objective and shooting. You don't want them locked in combat because they will die like marines.
-Personally, I believe 3 Stormravens are overkill. That and, if the dice gods aren't in your favor or you happen to be facing a lot of shots turn 1, you may be tabled before your Flyers even come in. More boots is better. 1 Stormraven should be plenty, and for the cost of a second, you could get a Land Raider (which is pretty much a Stormraven without wings)
-Vindicare doesn't need a better cover save. Stealth + Shrouded = +2 to cover save, and most terrain he'll be in will give him 4+ anyways. So he'll have a 2+ cover. Plus you can't bolster the Aegis from the Techmarine.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One View Post
In terms of the Aegis, the Quad gun is probably the best way to go. More shots, and most flyers are AV11 (the Stormraven is the only AV12 flyer I can think of off the top of my head).
For the Grand Master, I recently discovered the Sword is probably his best option. 2+/4++ which becomes a 3++ when he gets into CC.

In List 1:
-Razorbacks/Rhinos have become an easy first blood due to hull points, so you're better off saving the points and putting them elsewhere.
-Stormravens can only carry 6 Terminators, so I assume the game plan was to combat squad them? For their kit, I'm sure you've seen the standard: 2 swords, 2 halberds, 1 hammer per 5 guys. I thoroughly believe in this for the moments that your opponent has a Power Fist or something that will take away your armor and you can claim a 4++ on the swords. Slightly better survival odds.
-If you're worried about anti-tank, cut down one of the Terminator squads by 4 guys + the Razorback and get a Librarian with Might of Titan. Combined with Hammerhand, your hammers will be Str 12 and rolling 2D6 for armor pen...pretty much eat through any vehicle.
Hi, thanks for your feedback. I have removed the Razorback from my list, and I agree also in your assessment that Razorback is "inviting" a quick kill.

So, I change my list into the following :
HQ
Grey Knight Grand Master (Master-crafted Nemesis Weapon)

Elite
10 x Purifier Squad (6 x Nemesis Force Sword, 4 x Psycannon)
1 x Vindicare Assassin

Troops
10 x Terminator Squad (2 x DH, 4 x Halberd, 4 x Force Sword, 2 x Psycannon, Banner, Psybolt)
10 x Terminator Squad (2 x DH, 4 x Halberd, 4 x Force Sword, 2 x Psycannon, Psybolt)

Heavy

Fast Attack

Basically I just remove the Razorback, and try to fit in another Psycannon in each squad. It turns out that I only have 5 pts left for the GM, so I gave him the master crafted nemesis weapon. What do you think?

Army Lists :

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-13, 08:47 PM

Default hmmm

The list is sub par.

It is backwards in respect that you are playing GK like marines. The storm raven purpose is to get troops into battle that dont have the ability to arrive on their own.

Gm is not being take serious, with no grenades chosen and no specific weapon picked its a clueless venture on this part.

put the purifiers inside 1 of the Storm Ravens also add halberds to them with 4 psycannons then combat squad them have one in SR and the other on the ground. Take out the other and use points to get a dreadnaught with autocannons. Put teleport homer on SR.

Put terminators 10 man as normal meaning 2 psycannons and mix/halberd-hammers.

take out second terminator unit and add 2-10 man strike squads with 2 psycannons.

Our main problem with GK is unit count. thus far you dont have enough to deal with objectives and you dont have enough psycannons to do enough damage in all parts of the table. You are also missing out on key aspects of Strike squads. To deny the enemy to DS near you. This list has good points but it has to many holes and cant deal with a wide variety of armies.

lastly on your last list GK do not need a defense line because we are not meant to sit back and shoot. 3 SR hoping to come in turn 2 could be scarey but a cool collective opponent can deal with that list at the end. All i have to do is out shoot u and by turn 3 to 4 your destroyed. I have majority of objectives and you are trying to keep your base intact. its just an observation but solid defense points are not meant for GK. We are moving defense army hence why our psycannons can be fired on the run.

Last edited by inqusitor magneto; 04-30-13 at 08:51 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-13, 09:26 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I think this list also needs 2x dreadnaughts. StormRavens without Dreadnaughts riding them are not the most effective delivery system inmy opinion. Psyflame dreadnaughts with psyassault cannon is not a bad rider on the Storm. Add in the purifiers and a GK squad, as well as a GM with Grenades,and you're doing well. Add a cheap inquisitor with grenades to the other SR. Drop the Assassin and 1x10 terminators who are replaced with a normal squad.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
The list is sub par.

It is backwards in respect that you are playing GK like marines. The storm raven purpose is to get troops into battle that dont have the ability to arrive on their own.

Gm is not being take serious, with no grenades chosen and no specific weapon picked its a clueless venture on this part.

put the purifiers inside 1 of the Storm Ravens also add halberds to them with 4 psycannons then combat squad them have one in SR and the other on the ground. Take out the other and use points to get a dreadnaught with autocannons. Put teleport homer on SR.

Put terminators 10 man as normal meaning 2 psycannons and mix/halberd-hammers.

take out second terminator unit and add 2-10 man strike squads with 2 psycannons.

Our main problem with GK is unit count. thus far you dont have enough to deal with objectives and you dont have enough psycannons to do enough damage in all parts of the table. You are also missing out on key aspects of Strike squads. To deny the enemy to DS near you. This list has good points but it has to many holes and cant deal with a wide variety of armies.
Thank you for your great input. After I read your input, I agree with all of your points, because according to my few play testing, I have not enough bodies to hold points or even to kill the opponent. Though I don't put much emphasis about Strike Squad's Disruption ability, because most of my playmates are not playing deep strike, but I agree that I should be able to counter wider range of armies.

So, basically I made few tweaks :

HQ
Grey Knight Grand Master (Rad Grenades)
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (Rad Grenades)

Troops
Grey Knight Strike Squad (8 x Sword, 2 x Psycannon, Psybolt)
Grey Knight Strike Squad (8 x Sword, 2 x Psycannon, Psybolt)
Grey Knight Terminator Squad (4 x Halberd, 2 x Daemonhammer, 3 x Sword, 1 x Banner, 2 x Psycannon, Psybolt)

Elite
Purifier Squad (6 x Sword, 4 x Psycannon, Psybolt)
Vindicare Assassin

Heavy Support
Dreadnought (2 x Assault Cannon, Psybolt)

Fast Attack
Stormraven Gunship (TL Lascannon, TL MM, Teleport Homer)

This list is over about 5 points.

Some thoughts :
- I can remove the Inquisitor, and change it with more grandmaster upgrades.
- Or, I keep the Inquisitor, but remove Psybolt upgrades from one of my strike squads, and give the inquisitor a power armor.

Please share your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
lastly on your last list GK do not need a defense line because we are not meant to sit back and shoot. 3 SR hoping to come in turn 2 could be scarey but a cool collective opponent can deal with that list at the end. All i have to do is out shoot u and by turn 3 to 4 your destroyed. I have majority of objectives and you are trying to keep your base intact. its just an observation but solid defense points are not meant for GK. We are moving defense army hence why our psycannons can be fired on the run.
Agreed, after I test it it's not a very good list. I think the first list is way better

Army Lists :

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 01:57 PM

hmmm im trying to see where your points are going and i think i see it with the terminators. a 5 man squad is power enough and a small signature to use grand strat with.

its a choice but you might want to play test auto cannon against assault cannon. true its more bullets but auto cannon is greater str at longer distance. mean dread can sit in back and fire 4 shots reroll at range.

give purifiers halberd they are 2 pts each. and you want them going first with 2 attack each. put them in the SR to come in at your choosing.

Change storm rave to have assualt cannon or play test it.

since u took off the extra 5 man term squad which you dont need because its a waste in my opinion, thats 270 pts to play with. its alot of points my friend, with that respect add more diverse units and upgrade your inquisitor to a pysker & give him a deamon blade which they can use devination power default which means you dont need to roll just choose the default power and at the start of the inquisitor movement phase roll for the power to reroll shotting hits and CC hits. Also take a skull 3 pts and they are wonderful. Choose him to be ordo mallues which also means he loose his rad grenades but give him brain mine instead. the deamon blade from my reading is great across the board if you ask me. the mine is just in case someone wants to challenge him or you want to challenge someone.

now you can choose to make another SS or interceptor squad or henchmen list but more bodies is always better and harder to defeat with grey knights. you can also get yourself a dreadknight with heavy incinerator and a small mix DCA/crusader henchmen squad if you have the models. dreadknight causes fear btw so that is a bonus along with some other features.

your GM you want going first with par of even dark eldar. so rad and pskochoke halberd will make him a beast up to the point of being charged by other grey knights and being shot to death with double str weapon but look out sir is great lol. dont forget he get reroll of shooting for free but you need a 6 to hit on second roll. A small note for GM its expensive but giving him a psycannon means he hits on 2 and has that free reroll of 1's to hit on a 6. just an idea

Like i said before you have a good start and this new list is more improved then your others. it gives your diverse function for any army you face and well its puts you on par with competition list as well as fun list. make cards to remember all your powers and abilities or hell make magnet banners to put on your justicars to help you remember. it looks great and helps your army get some clout in design asthetics.

I am sure you are having fun play testing this list and i wish you luck with your own army theme. further more its okay to go with an army theme. I know i have with my mordrak/inquisitor list with paladin/SS death. It does get hectic remembering all the abilities you have but i have started to make banners to help me remember as well.

Last edited by inqusitor magneto; 05-01-13 at 02:01 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Tags
2000 , army list , grey knight , vindicare

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode