1850 Tournament List - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-12, 04:40 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios
 
TheKingElessar's Avatar
TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 7,370
Reputation: 2
Default

I'm not trying to take anything away - apart from anything else I can't. However, 2nd place isn't truly a 'win'.

You're making a lot of assumptions about his games and event, and while it may well be true, when you do not have the information, making conclusions is impertinent at best. Perhaps his event consisted of the best 8 players in the world, playing Win/Loss games on perfectly balanced tables and with exactly average dice, but this is less likely than not.

"Stop playing Grey Knights like Marines" is incredibly stupid advice, there are no other two armies I can think of play more alike.

Imperial Guard Sergeants are Ld8.

Tactics don't destroy units, weapons do - and since you have virtually no access to ranged AP1, you can't reliably destroy enemy armour without a great investment of fire. Simple mathematics.

Most good IG lists are even better at killing infantry at short range (I only say most to leave open the possibility of otherwise, though I cannot think of an example where this is not true.)

Maybe you were at his event? I don't know, but I have no idea what you're talking about 'scoring not beating people' and 'everything is done by score' - most tournaments I have either attended or read about actually reward players more for ignoring the mission and simply tabling the opponent, which runs directly counter to what I *think* you're trying to say.

Furthermore, if his second place finish was because of SOFT scores, then it reflects even less on the quality or otherwise of his list.
TheKingElessar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-12, 03:17 AM
Senior Member
 
inigo montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 622
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
This was my opinion and the fact is he place second in scoring not beating people. i assume it was not just 4 to 5 people but at least 10 people. everything is done by score. If he came in second he focused on mission and objectives. second for a GK list of this caliber is good. he is outnumbered and in some cases out gunned.
"my opinion, assumed..." your opinion and your assumtions have nothing to do with reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
It is clear if you measure the board you can do a significant enough of damage without long distance being a major factor. your IG player wants you at a long distance, but if you play like a grey knight you will know what to do when its time to do it for each unit.
You must have never played a serious guard player. If you can't silence 3 or 4 vehicles at range each turn, you lose. Have you even played against mech guard before?


Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
its a 48x72 board. The list has enough units to cut the 48 in half or even more. might i suggest @TheKingElessar stop playing grey knights like marines and use the options you have to shrink the distance down from 1" to 24". From what i see the list can do so. IG die to GK from 24" to CC and he has enough units to make IG run for the hill. take out IG HQ and commisars and what do you have. a Ld 7 army having trouble staying on the field. Dont try and take away the mans 2nd place win. he earned it and deserves respect for his tournament placing.
corner to corner (half of your games) are death to you if you can't shoot 48" or more and silence armor. To claim otherwise is ignorance of facts. Mathhammer doesn't apply to real games, friend. If you have no long range anti tank, a good guard player eats you alive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
lastly Grey knights dont have to suppress IG, they just destroy them with clear cut tactics and cause the IG player to make mistakes, become fearful and rush movements they normally would not do. GK aren't invincible, but they are dam hard with a good commander.
As are IG. You act as if only gk players have strategy and tactics! ANY army that lacks long range firepower will suffer heavily to a serious guard player. Yes, GK ar good. No, IG aren't bad. Don't sensationize a marginal list because it did well in a small pond. That list, with a little tuning, could be much better.
inigo montoya is offline  
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
inqusitor magneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 396
Reputation: 1
Default

hahahhaa this is so cute. look at the Ig player take most things to heart.

First off its a game so hold it down a little. Secondly this whole forum is assumed opinion unless its regarding a written rule. Last but not least you can take your 48" and shove them. no one but guard and tau play to the edge of the board majority of the times. GK armies can get to any part of the board. Those are the facts.

in CC you fall to gk 9 times out of 10. majority of your armies are in ap4/ap5 armour and Gk can fire that on the cheap. in some cases a GK player can out shoot an IG player within game mechanics. You need distance and GK do not really have to give it to you. a GK player could be in IG face by turn 1 if they wanted to be a dick about things "FACT". If you want to test it by all means GW in nyc. , otherwise just help out the GK player with advice and stop trying to piss IG. We know you are good for something lol
inqusitor magneto is offline  
 
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 02:14 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios
 
TheKingElessar's Avatar
TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 7,370
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
a GK player could be in IG face by turn 1 if they wanted to be a dick about things "FACT".
"Fact" indeed, since it's complete bullshit...
TheKingElessar is offline  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
inqusitor magneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 396
Reputation: 1
Default hahahahahahhahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
"Fact" indeed, since it's complete bullshit...

hardly kiddo, you just dont know GK or how the army works. Trust the bullshyt is only inside your small brain. why dont you try reading the book. maybe that can help you some.

whats 12+12+12+6= IN YOUR FACE!
inqusitor magneto is offline  
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 02:45 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios
 
TheKingElessar's Avatar
TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 7,370
Reputation: 2
Default

You're so funny 'kiddo' when you're probably younger than I. Certainly, you post like you are a child.

Here's a clue, since you sorely lack one - when there are several people telling you that you're the one with no clue, then you're simply a slightly bigger fish in a goldfish bowl, rather than the 'expert' you claim.

If you REALLY think that you'll be Scouting that close to any player who isn't a complete moron, then I think you really need to learn to play better, or find an opponent with a mental age in double figures.
TheKingElessar is offline  
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 02:54 PM
Ancient Relic
 
mcmuffin's Avatar
mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waking up from my tomb world
Posts: 2,430
Reputation: 7
Default

@Inquisitor: Despite your clear lack of understanding of the english language, your logic is quite frankly, in the realm of retarded. Considering that you play in a GW store, where the opposition is of a low level, I am not surprised your tactic of scout all over the place works. That stupid idea, and believe me it is stupid, will fail if your opponent elects to go second, allowing him to deploy rather far away from you. Also, if i were playing guard, i would be perfectly happy to let you get in my face, because your attempt at maths means that you are running out of the tank, which means you arent shooting. So you get in my face, and i unload 80 lasguns into you. and Hydras, and demo charges, and vendettas, and plasma guns, and heavy bolters, and heavy flamers, and multi-lasers and plasma cannons. fine by me

Please try to demonstrate at least a small amount of knowledge of how the game works before giving horrendous advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
mcmuffin is offline  
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
inqusitor magneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 396
Reputation: 1
Default

speaking of someone who is a moron. Notice my words said "could be in an IG players face." if I go first there is nothing you can do about it. 2IS, 1NDK, Mordrak+libby. the only person who lacks a clue or knows how to read the GK book is you so take a chill pill and go fight some orks ranger.

You clearly lack the number count. no one but you is telling me i am wrong. I have been in several IG player faces by turn 1/2. They really didnt like it and used all there units to try and kill 1 to 2 squad that leaves the rest of my units to go forward and shoot. its just the game mechanics of the GK army. Its not Beat all kill all but on IG it is tough as nails to win.

I mean not only can i scout. I can also shunt behind your vehicles (unless they are on the board edge) and fire/flame away. You dont have anything in your book that can prevent me from shunting or scouting! i think you need to have someone buy you a clue

@mcmuff who said anything about vehicles. I mention GW because its open 6 days a week since there is only 1 its easy to locate. club housing is only open 2 to 3 times a week. so next time try asking before judging. whats your armour save again. how can you fire something when your army is retreating or burnt and shot half to death, yeah thanks.

Last edited by inqusitor magneto; 05-14-12 at 03:09 PM.
inqusitor magneto is offline  
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 03:18 PM
Ancient Relic
 
mcmuffin's Avatar
mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waking up from my tomb world
Posts: 2,430
Reputation: 7
Default

Oh, I'm afraid my IG will be quite operational when your friends arrive.So you blow what, 600 points on interceptors? fine it means all your points are tied up in non scoring areas. so kill the 3 interceptor units, and then the rest of the army falls apart? And about the army's armour save? well, considering cover plus camo pants commisar, I think 3+ will be fine. Try that little tactic at a tournament and watch yourself fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
mcmuffin is offline  
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
inqusitor magneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 396
Reputation: 1
Default

@mcmuff, Someone doesnt know how to read huh. how can you claim cover when I am flaming/warp rifting you. Your toughness is 3 so good luck with that. Of course you will be operational when i arrive. what will be left after my first turn is clearly up to the dice but it wont be pretty. oh wait 3+ cover save oh noooooooooooooo

on a funny note you sound like the emperor in return of the jedi lol. good one.

I wouldnt consider it blowing but your math is kinda off. 10 man IS with 2 pyscannons is 280. I can combat squad them trust i have plenty of points left to claim objectives and i can make certain units into troops if you are letting me go first.

Last edited by inqusitor magneto; 05-14-12 at 03:36 PM.
inqusitor magneto is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome