All Calvary army question,who can I play? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Default All Calvary army question,who can I play?

Ok I have an Ogre army now I want the opposite an all fast moving hard hitting army.I was wondering is there an army that you can field that has some sort of calvary as regular core troop choices.
Probably Bret,High Elves,Empire,or Dark Elves,I only want mounted units it might not win many games but it would look great on the battle field a couple of chariots would also fit in very nicely.
Not asking anybody to build the army just which army can field ALL mounted units I would consider using a steam tank from Empire it might look good next to an all mounted army.
I just dont want to buy every army book out there to find the right one.

I remember T.H.A.C.O

JAWABALLS FANCLUB

Diskwars junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 09:56 AM

Bretonnians are your best bet for an all mounted army. It's kinda their theme. And yes you are right it will not be very good but it is quite good fun. No chariots or anything, just Knights, Knight and more Knights but you do have Pegasus Knights for a bit of difference.

If you want to have a chance of winning more then you might need to break the aesthetic slighty to include some Trebuchets to soften the enemy up before you get stuck in.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 09:56 AM

As for dark elves, an all cavalary army is possible:

Use dark riders with shields as core units (or omit shields and use them as fast cavalary) and also you can even give them repeater crossbows for fun
And take cold one knights and chariot (and characters on dark steed/pegasus, cold one or dragon etc if it suits your taste)

And such army can still rock if used properly I guess.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 10:08 AM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Tomb Kings could do the job with the current book as it allows you to take chariot units as Core choices if your army is led by Tomb King (Special choices if only led by a Tomb Prince).

TK Horsemen are Core no matter what but don't really come in as hard hitting imo.

The only problem is that TKs are probably the next book due ( May 2011) so things are subject to change.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 10:45 AM

O&G! All Wolf Riders or Spider Riders for Core. You can have 2 types of Boar Boy, Boar Chariots and Goblin Wolf Chariots in units of 3; there's also the wacky Squig Hoppers, although these are random as you like. Obviously you've got some interesting mounts for Lords and Heroes, including Gigantic Spiders, Wyverns and Giant Cave Squigs.
It might not be everyone's first port of call for the basis of an all mounted army, but it's feasible and if you go the Wolf Rider units then you'll be able to theme it as one of the Goblin Tribes that roams the East on Wolfback. There's even a Goblin Wolf Rider named character who would really help that theme.

GFP
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 11:01 AM
The voices told me to....

Hudson's Flag is: England

hmmm i still like the empire option tbh.

1+ save is possible, you can have inner circle, pistoliers or my favourite, outriders.

outriders are basically your mounted hellblaster well worth considering yes they can't move and fire but a guarenteed 3 shots each is better than the volley gun as they NEVER misfire whereas you can't guarentee full shots on your cannon.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 11:04 AM

I like it 5 posts and 5 different answers.

Obviously there is only 1 right answer of course, and it's not any of those other honourless dogs, barely fit to feed on the scraps from the Kings table....

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 11:26 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

And, to buck the trend yet again, Warriors of Chaos.

Dragon Ogres, despite being Monstrous Infantry, are Centaur-esque in stature, and hit VERY hard, and are extremely resilient. Or you could be boring and use Knights, but they're equally expensive, and don't hit as hard, and are comparatively fragile.

As for Core; Marauder Cavalry. Flails and MoK are among the hardest hitting cheap units around.

For power, Breton's are the best, due to the Lance. For Tanking, a Dragon Ogre heavy Warriors of Chaos, or massed Knightly Order Empire are decent. If you're looking for a tactically challenging but fun army, Dark Elves, Pistolier heavy Empire, and Marauder Cav heavy armies.

Unfortunately, currently, I just don't rate Tomb Kings at all for much, other than for a differently appearing Vampire Counts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 02:10 PM