over/underpowered? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

shas'o Thraka's Flag is: England

Default over/underpowered?

Hey guys, I've been wondering, are there any armies you would consider over/underpowered? Because I hear it all the time in 40k, which is one of th reasons why I converted to fantasy.
Here's my list so far:
Overpowered:

Underpowered:
Brettonia
Ogre Kingdoms
Tomb Kings

What are your thoughts?
Cheers,
Shas'o

Click now....and you may join the greater good!

8th Edition Lizardmen:
Wins-Draws-Loses: 4-0-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 12:07 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Ogres aren't really underpowered, its more how you use them thats the problem. Yes, against certain magic (Pits of Shades / Purple Sun) You might as well not even bother unpacking them, but they are still damned devistating when used right. Yes there magic is a bit crappy, as are their characters... but you face off against a horde block of bulls, or a Tyrant in a challenge, then tell me they're underpowered.

Thing is with Fantasy, its ALOT more balenced then 40k, but does suffer alot of the same problems.

Lizardmen for instance... Stick a Slann in with them and they'll kick pretty much anyone elses else up and down the magic phase. Don't use one, and you could end up pretty screwed.

DE... Good at shooting, but have the elven flimsyness problem in close combat.

Its more of a matter of what and how you use it, then 40k's 'If you don't use this your screwed'.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 01:45 PM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

There is one army that springs to mind that is a little overpowered but I dare not say to avoid a lot of face-palming from senior members.

It is said that the guttural sound of Dwarfs bellowing Grungni’s name is enough to make an Elf’s knees knock and a Goblin turn a sickly shade of yellow!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 02:33 PM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

I would suggest that Daemons are overpowered, but they can still be dealt with.

Other than that, I'd only be repeating what Grizbe said- fantasy is way more balanced than 40k. There aren't any really huge differences in power between armies.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 03:39 PM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke123 View Post
I would suggest that Daemons are overpowered, but they can still be dealt with.

Other than that, I'd only be repeating what Grizbe said- fantasy is way more balanced than 40k. There aren't any really huge differences in power between armies.
I have never fought a daemons player ever, I think alot of people are scared to start them simply because they are more expencive to start right off the bat then other races.
anyways I know I will get facepalming for this, but I think dwarves are kind of over powered.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 04:37 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

High Elves are the most overpowered, but it's only because of Teclis. What's really overpowered in warhammer right now are some of the basic lore spells. Specifically, Purple Sun, Pit of Shades, and the entire Lore of Life. What makes High Elves overpowered is the fact that Teclis can basically guarantee that any one of these spells is cast every turn, with no negative consequences.

Otherwise, the game is pretty well balanced right now. Wood Elves and Tomb Kings are the only ones I consider to be truly underpowered right now. Ogres aren't underpowered, but if your opponent has either the spell Purple Sun or Pit of Shades, you may lose before the game even begins. Brettonians are only underpowered at low point levels, with 'peasant' heavy armies. At high point levels, their lance formation is very powerful, and keeps them competitive.

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 04:58 PM

how are tomb kings under powered you just have to use the correct list i mean high priests are just wrong ok we get 3 dice for each spell and we can cast 2 spells and at 2k you can have 2 ushabti pretty damn nasty and the most overpowered unit in the game tomb scorpions
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 05:20 PM

I'm sorry if I'm being rude, I don't mean to, but......

There always pops up a thread like this every 3 weeks or so, but really no army is really overpowered, you can always win, if you play right (with a few exceptions*)

Some armies are a bit stronger, but it's nothing you can't deal with, to me threads like these are a bit pointless, again sorry for perhaps being rude, but I see threads like these a lot (I'm member of a few forums) but it just comes down to how you play.

i.e. A lot of players say Skaven are overpowered, but I saw a thread on the Under-Empire today from someone who lost over 50% of his games, while he won a lot in 7th.
While there was someone else who won ALL his games and had his friends whining that Skaven are OP.

* i.e. When playing Ogres and your opponent Power-Scrolls Purple Sun through your battleline.
Or if Dwellers kills your mainstay unit containing BSB and General (for Skaven this sucks, low ld and no re-roll= fleeing rats)

the-graven

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flindo View Post
anyways I know I will get facepalming for this, but I think dwarves are kind of over powered.
I get what you mean, I fight Dwarves with my LM it sucks, those warmachines kills my saurus so easily and is dirt cheap when compared to what they kill, and when you finally get to his lines with 2 blocks of ~10 saurus, there's a Warrior Horde and an Hammerer+Superlord waiting

But I'm just going to use 2 units of Chamo Skinks, problem solved

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 05:48 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

I think a better kind of thread would be a 'What units are completely useless and should never be used' rather then a 'which army is most powerful' type thread....

Infact.... *goes to start it.*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode