8th Edition WTF Rules? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 8th Edition WTF Rules?

Now the book is out has anyone found any rules that simply make no sense?

Something like los in 5th edition and being able to see one guy means you can shoot everyone in the squad... even though they're behind a building and the justification of tlos in the first place was to make the game feel real?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 04:59 PM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

Played a 4000pt game yesterday and so far I'm impressed. It feels like they've sat down and said "right, what have we screwed up, over complicated, or just completely failed at".... "Ok, here's how we fix it"

The new charging rules take a bit of getting used to, keep looking at my units and thinking "Ooo this charges 12, this 8" when in fact it's 8-18 or 6-16. any slow moving stuff seems to charge the same distance as before, if not further. Dwarves for example are on average going to charge 10.

The magic system is FANTASTIC! so many things are cool with it I don't even know where to begin.

I'd imagine anything that'll make me go WTF will be some of the tiny changes that you don't notice at first.

Only thing that concerns me so far is the terrain set-up. Too many "weird" terrains for my liking and they guys in my local GW insist on rolling for everything on the tables so we had the anvil of vaul hill, a mystery wood, the wyrding pool AND an idol of gork on the table. This can be solved by just not using those rules though, or slapping your opponent until he capitulates to "no sillyness"

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 05:21 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzwang View Post
Too many "weird" terrains for my liking and they guys in my local GW insist on rolling for everything on the tables so we had the anvil of vaul hill, a mystery wood, the wyrding pool AND an idol of gork on the table. This can be solved by just not using those rules though, or slapping your opponent until he capitulates to "no sillyness"
I am hoping that the "everything could be really spooky so it is really spooky" effect will go away after a while.

I have not played with funky scenery yet. Assuming that not all the scenery is special, do the special rules for scenery work?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 06:05 PM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

they're not bad.

Anvil of Vaul is either "oo moderately funky yet somewhat useless" or "WOW I JUST OWNED YOUR ASS!"

Magical Flaming attacks for anything within 6" of a specific hill.

Thery certainly add a cool element to games, yet too many of them is just pointless. They make for excellent focus points on a table, fantastic for campaign games for specific missions. However they're a bit pointless for one off games.

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 06:25 PM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
Now the book is out has anyone found any rules that simply make no sense?

Something like los in 5th edition and being able to see one guy means you can shoot everyone in the squad... even though they're behind a building and the justification of tlos in the first place was to make the game feel real?
While it doesn't make sense indeed, I don't think its as much of a problem here as it is in 40K. Here there are tons of shooting modifiers that can screw up your shooting phase no problem, in fact, you're rarely going to use your base BS, which happens to have an average of 3, meaning that anything that wants to hit you and doesn't fire templates starts from a 4+, which can escalate to 5+/6+ without too much trouble (for instance I'm behind a forest and beyond your 50% range). The only time you're going to use your original BS is the second turn where your opponent is just about to charge. After that your archers are supposed to thin the ranks of those who couldn't make it into CC.

Whereas in 40K if I can see your finger I can hit you on a 3+ with my Land Raider that just moved 12". Most likely it is a twin-linked weapon (assault cannon most probably) and I can re-roll anything that managed to miss with. I think WHFB has the better version.

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 06:30 PM

boreas's Flag is: Canada

I'm fairly harsh towards GW's rules, but I must say that I'm very impressed with the WFB 8th ed. book. the rules are explained in a very easy to read way. The humor is very aprreciated also. While I haven't any WTF moment for now, I'm sure there will be a problem or two. After all GW games are very "opened" to unusual situation as opposed, say, to chess.

I must say that we've discussed the random terrain rules and I insisted to used them. Terrain has a lot of influence on the game depending on your army. As a lizardmen player, I always used to get those "Yeah, nice try" when adding water features. So now, it's up to the random table!

Phil
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 07:01 PM

Steadfast is a bit too hard to take away in some instances I think, and the new terrain system can lead to some quite retarded things, but these can easily be fixed in friendly games. Terrain in particular, I know that we'll just start picking pieces after awhile. One thing that makes me scratch my head though, is the lack of giving Devastating Charge to cavalry. That would have made a lot of sense, and would balance out the nerfiness handed to them in 8th.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 09:10 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
Steadfast is a bit too hard to take away in some instances I think, and the new terrain system can lead to some quite retarded things, but these can easily be fixed in friendly games. Terrain in particular, I know that we'll just start picking pieces after awhile. One thing that makes me scratch my head though, is the lack of giving Devastating Charge to cavalry. That would have made a lot of sense, and would balance out the nerfiness handed to them in 8th.
QFT!

And Jez is right on one thing. TLoS I have always disliked. I have yet to play with all that mysterious terrain mumbojumbo but it seems pretty weird. It could be fun as long as both parties are bent on making it silly as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

Last edited by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH; 07-18-10 at 09:54 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 09:40 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Pretty much the only thing I've disliked so far is the terrain effects. Nice idea... but they're just too randomly silly and can over complicate a game.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 11:04 PM

CaptainBudget's Flag is: United Kingdom

Having read through the entire rules section nothing really stands out as WTF-ish.

OK, the scenary generator is a bit too silly, but as others have said, people will get bored and we'll all go back to the classic "one hill in each deployment zone and a wood or two in the middle," maybe occasionally throwing in something random to make things exciting.

After reading the first passage of breath weapons I thought "one use only? WTF?" but that is entierly justified when you realise that it can be used in combat now. I've yet to play against my mate' War hydra and I'm already scared. The already formidable monster now has a Thunderstomp (D6 s5 automatic hits) AND the potential to add a further 2D6 S4 hits if it wants.

Everything else just really works, and it's nice to see the obtuse and irritating charge movements have been simplified with regards to determining whether you're in range (it's now "measure the closest point of your unit to the closest point of the target, if you get the score with charge range you're in." This makes so much sense as it takes a lot of the frustration out of measuring charge ranges and should leave a little less bad feeling when key charges fail by a whisker.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode