Returning to Fantasy - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-09, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Inquisitor Varrius's Flag is: Canada

Default Returning to Fantasy

I'm thinking of starting another fantasy army, and it won't be chaos, dwarves, or empire. I'm leaning toward Dark Elves, Skaven, or Vampires, though I know VC is over played where I go. So it ultimately comes down to Dark Elves vs. Skaven. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
Camo is the color of cowardice but if the only ones to call you a coward are now a puddle of plasma there isnt a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-09, 01:25 AM

Dark Elves are VERY hard to play, but very rewarding.
Skaven on the other hand are considerably more fun to play with and a bit more forgiving considering the amount you play with.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-09, 01:33 AM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Skaven are due for an update soon, so i would suggest waiting for them, or playing dark elves, for preferance I definatly would play skaven, Not overplayed anywhere, Fluffy, very customisable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-09, 03:50 AM

Cleitus_the_Black's Flag is: Canada

You know which way I lean!
Be careful, I think GW is cutting back on Skaven Battalions, I couldn't get one from my normal cheapo retailer and had to order from GW... apparently they are out of production in preparation for the big update...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-09, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
Dark Elves are VERY hard to play, but very rewarding.
Skaven on the other hand are considerably more fun to play with and a bit more forgiving considering the amount you play with.
First off, I play both and Skaven are way harder to win with than dark elves when you're first starting off. Once you learn how to utilize the dirty tactics of the skaven, though, they are nearly unstoppable once you master how to "fight battles on your terms" as I call it. Dark elves however, are a lot of fun as well it's just a matter of what you are looking for. Dark elves have hard hitting units that kill a lot while skaven have to outmanoeuver and use things like dark elf hatred/frenzy/flee from charges with expendible units to open your opponents flanks to you're better units. Dark elves can have a dragon and skaven can match that with 160 slaves. Both of them have devastating magic so if you're looking for magic heavy army they can both be good. Since I'm a skaven player I gotta try to sway you a little to their side so here goes...Skaven are the only army that can shoot into combat. I would however wait it out for a month or 2 to see what's going on with the new skaven if you were to decide you wanted to follow the horned rat.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-09, 10:32 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

There is 1 serious downside to skaven that Jester skirted: if you're taking 160 slaves to counter a dragon you have to PAINT 160 slaves.
I would love to do skaven but there is no way on this earth that I could manage to paint an army this decade (the thought of painting 40 gnoblars is plenty thank you).

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-09, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I don't mind painting lots of models (as long as they don't have shells. Tyrannids = ) so that's not a problem. Actually, the skaven would be a break; I play Dark Eldar in 40k, which paint a lot like my Dark Elves. I probably won't get anything for at least 2 months, I need to finish my 40k first. Once I start, the update would be out already.

@Jester12: I played Beasts of Chaos before the codexes died, and I'm actually not to bad with expendables, dirty tricks, and such.

@Cleitus_the_Black: Yes, I know what you recommend. If you run into another white skaven army, it might be me. ...Assuming you don't have a problem with me stealing your idea?

Quote:
Camo is the color of cowardice but if the only ones to call you a coward are now a puddle of plasma there isnt a problem.

Last edited by Inquisitor Varrius; 08-18-09 at 05:44 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 04:45 AM

Cleitus_the_Black's Flag is: Canada

Haha it's almost as much your idea as it is mine at this point!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-09, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

E-e-e-excellent! *complete with Mr. Burns impression* I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't be mad if I end up posting pics with similar theme to yours.

Ok then, I think I'll start Skaven after my months of painting 40k. Thanks to everybody for the help in deciding!

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode