Starting a Vampire Counts army - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-09, 05:58 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Should have said a General and a Thrall (both thrall level, of course). I like Grave Guard, but at lower levels, they soak up a relative lot of points. And they can't be magiced up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-09, 06:41 PM

grave guard can be brought back easier than black knights since you can only bring one knight back per IoN - just can't bring them back beyond their starting size
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-09, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

sickening's Flag is: USA

thanks again for all the good info! what do you mean by vampire thrall?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-09, 07:08 PM

Spot The Grot's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickening View Post
thanks again for all the good info! what do you mean by vampire thrall?
Back in the previous vampires book a vampire thrall was the name of the Heroes choice vampire.It is still the easiest way to refer to a vampire taken as a hero choice.

The way to be a good vampire player is to just go full magic. Its what keeps all of the troops ticking. Don't bother with any bloodline or magic items that effect his CC potential. Just buy the items and bloodline powers that help his magic out.

The tactic i would go for is the bunker vampire. Pick a vamprie as a general. Kit him out very heavily for magic and raising models back. Put him in a unit of 15-20 ghouls. Ghouls are the hadest troop choice to kill at range as they are T4. This unit with the vampire inside will never enter combat.Its purpose is to provide a "bunker" for your vampire to pump magic out of. Give the vampire helm of commandment. There is a magic item thats called the "book of arkhan" or something. It give him vanhels dense macabre as a bound spell.

Give your skeletons spears! They will get lots of attacks then. Combine a unit with the hem of commandment (from the vampire) and vanhels dense macabre (cast by any wizard who knows it or with the "book of arkhan"). As long as the unit was in CC at the start of the turn the skeletons will get 10 attacks at WS6 (or 7 if the vampire is a lord) and will then get rerolls to hit that always strike first.

The army has to work together to win.

I would buy 2 vampires. More skeletons , aim for 2 units of 15 with spears , always buy more skeletons though as you will want to raise more in game! 2 Boxes of ghouls so that your vampire can hide in them. A vargulf. Finaly , get some dark knights , some poeple use the empire knights and combine them skeleton sprue as it makes the model completely plastic which means its less likely the break , light and cheaper.

Last edited by Spot The Grot; 07-17-09 at 07:20 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-09, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

sickening's Flag is: USA

ok after reading all the posts this is what i came up with.
keep in mind i only have the VC battalion set and will get getting 1 more box of skeletons, a vampire, and a Varghulf to start with.

Vampire + master of the black arts-helm of Commandment-scepter de noirot 205
Necromancer + Corpse Cart + lodestone 155
Varghulf 175

Skeleton Warriors X 15 155
spears
champion
musician
standerd

Skeleton Warriors X 15 155
spears
champion
musician
standerd

Crypt Ghouls x 10 80

105 left over

now the book of arkhan said its a power level 3 spell so i take it that my level 1 vamp will not be able to use it? how should i equip my necro or should just drops some points and use the rest to make my ghouls ghasts?

Last edited by sickening; 07-24-09 at 03:55 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode