Undead army, good for a new guy - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-14, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

Default Undead army, good for a new guy

So I have never played warhammer fantasy but I'm thinking of starting. How is an undead army for someone who is starting fantasy. I heard that tomb kings are a hard army to play so I'm not sure.

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-14, 03:09 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Well, tomb kings just got a whole lot better because in the olden days they collapsed when one model died, but that's no longer the case. Undead are ok for a newbie, about as challenging as any other army~ it's rough, though, because to play at your best you would have to acquire the new end times book as well as the TK and VC books. If that's fine with you, then go ahead! TK are a bit overpriced for what they do, but they have builds that work, namely lots of skeleton archers and warmachines. I don't know much about VCs, but they have some very cool units... What sort of a playstyle do you prefer?

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-14, 06:49 PM

Both armies require you having more stuff than your opponents, they aren't hard to learn providing you have a firm grasp on the rules. However that being said they require allot of bodies to be played well.

So if you're on a budget or aren't a fast painter you might not get the full fun out of the army.

Since you're just starting out in fantasy I'd personally recommend starting with ogres, they're tough, easy to paint, and you don't have to spend allot in order to get a large force.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-14, 07:27 PM
Rattlehead

Undead are weird since they don't follow the same rules as everyone else for Psychology or for losing combat, as well as being able to raise models to replenish your losses. They rely on magic and either combat for VC or shooting for TK, but primarily magic and the buffs you can get from it. They're also fairly good at wars of attrition due to large numbers that can be replaced when lost and they never run away, but against a strong combat opponent they're going to lose models faster than you can replace them. Both armies are fairly slow, and rely on the General to be able to move worth a damn and/or cast magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Since you're just starting out in fantasy I'd personally recommend starting with ogres, they're tough, easy to paint, and you don't have to spend allot in order to get a large force.
I'd add a vote to this - Ogres are very easy to play (for me, too much so - I got bored of Step 1. Cast Gut Magic Step 2. Charge very quickly), although I'm not sure that they're significantly cheaper than any other race due to the cost of their characters and the number of basic Ogres or Leadbelchers you want. Ironblasters are dirt cheap for GW models though, and they're amazing, as are Mournfangs who are *fairly* cheap per point as I remember so it all depends on army build.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-14, 07:37 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

With undead you don't need to worry about panic and morale checks, pretty easy imo, very quick to get the hang of.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-14, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Undead are weird since they don't follow the same rules as everyone else for Psychology or for losing combat, as well as being able to raise models to replenish your losses. They rely on magic and either combat for VC or shooting for TK, but primarily magic and the buffs you can get from it. They're also fairly good at wars of attrition due to large numbers that can be replaced when lost and they never run away, but against a strong combat opponent they're going to lose models faster than you can replace them. Both armies are fairly slow, and rely on the General to be able to move worth a damn and/or cast magic.

I'd add a vote to this - Ogres are very easy to play (for me, too much so - I got bored of Step 1. Cast Gut Magic Step 2. Charge very quickly), although I'm not sure that they're significantly cheaper than any other race due to the cost of their characters and the number of basic Ogres or Leadbelchers you want. Ironblasters are dirt cheap for GW models though, and they're amazing, as are Mournfangs who are *fairly* cheap per point as I remember so it all depends on army build.
With ogres two battalions boxes and a special character is all you need for a legal army. You just have to take a few minutes and plan out how to efficiently use what you get.

Since You're going to have maybe 20 models with a 1500 - 2000 point list learning the nuances of the game is easy with them, in the mean time you can spend the time working on the army of your choice while still having an army to play.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 12:29 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

I love my Tomb Kings they are however quite frustrating to Keep the momentum moving due to being unable to march and not being able to increase unit size (unlike Vampire Counts). On the plus side there is a variety of builds that are viable so should keep you occupied for a while. Personally if you want a TK army take the plunge they are easy to play but hard to master which is what I love about them (that and I never really like Vampires, Bats and Wolves as undead)
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 02:01 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Ahhh. TK can now march if they're in an Army of Undeath. But that requires, as is said, a lot of extra money put out. The not dissolving due to heirophant death is very important now. Also depends on if you're using the new End Times point spread.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 03:21 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
Ahhh. TK can now march if they're in an Army of Undeath. But that requires, as is said, a lot of extra money put out. The not dissolving due to heirophant death is very important now. Also depends on if you're using the new End Times point spread.
IMO the End Times isn't for me 20 for my army to march and for Arkhan and Mannfred to put aside their differences just doesn't sit right with me. I love Arkhan but just no
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 03:28 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Remember, officially the End times book changes army construction to 50% lords, 50% heroes, 25% minimum troops, 50% special, 25% rare, and you don't need the book. it just happened.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode