Undead army, good for a new guy - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 08:27 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
Remember, officially the End times book changes army construction to 50% lords, 50% heroes, 25% minimum troops, 50% special, 25% rare, and you don't need the book. it just happened.
Really? I thought Undead Legions was for normal games but the 50% Lords bit was one of the End Times Campaign Rules.

If so, then... well, not a big deal - I seldom spend more than 25% on Lords and 25% on Heroes anyway, because you win through having blocks of infantry that don't run away, not on having a couple of really killy characters. There are just too many ways to kill characters easily.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

I had thought about going for ogres but the new undead rules and fluff sound really interesting. Also I really like the new models. I also like the sounds of having loads of necromancers summon even more undead while the rest march on silent. The thing is I know nothing about the rules, I played a demo game at my local GW but I'm just wondering are they going to be one of those armies that take a long time to get good at. I'll start by buying the nagash book and getting ideas from that, afterwards I'll probley get the tomb kings and see what there like.

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 08:40 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Go for Ogres and use the Butchers to summon undead. There, you're good

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 10:43 PM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish Commissar View Post
I'll start by buying the nagash book and getting ideas from that, afterwards I'll probley get the tomb kings and see what there like.
Unless the Nagash book is the way things are going to be once 9th Ed rolls around, I wouldn't put to much stock into the funky rules in there. From what I can tell it's just another supplement like Storm of Magic was. I would concentrate on the rules in the BRB and whichever army book you choose to use.

I play VC as one of my armies and, while not hard to play, the strategies vary quite a bit due to the different ways in which they calculate combat, how much they rely on magic to keep the army moving/replenished (more so the latter), how horrid their Core choices are in combat (worse than Gobbos!), etc. So, like TK, easy to play if you know the basic rules, a little different to master. However, if you're not starting a new army after having played a "normal" race, it may not make to much of a difference as you'll have nothing to compare it to.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-14, 11:40 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnalBloodfist View Post
Unless the Nagash book is the way things are going to be once 9th Ed rolls around, I wouldn't put to much stock into the funky rules in there. From what I can tell it's just another supplement like Storm of Magic was. I would concentrate on the rules in the BRB and whichever army book you choose to use.

I play VC as one of my armies and, while not hard to play, the strategies vary quite a bit due to the different ways in which they calculate combat, how much they rely on magic to keep the army moving/replenished (more so the latter), how horrid their Core choices are in combat (worse than Gobbos!), etc. So, like TK, easy to play if you know the basic rules, a little different to master. However, if you're not starting a new army after having played a "normal" race, it may not make to much of a difference as you'll have nothing to compare it to.
The vast departure of rules and the vast advancement of the fluff (as opposed to filling in an event in history) suggests otherwise - rules for having several similar buildings placed together suggests fortifications, conjoined stats for Monster and Rider, new spell-lores available universally...

End times has some awesome combinations - Necrotects/Tomb Kings in units of Grave Guard for Frenzy, WS6 and then giving them all +1 to hit, for example.

Bear in mind that taking Undead Legion precludes you from allowing Tomb Kings and Princes in chariots to join other units of Tomb Kings Chariots as that particular special rule allowing that refers purely to Tomb Kings armies, but it's so weak and one trick pony (in a meta that has at least 3 cannon type effects in most armies anyway), along with the rest of the army being so poor that I've yet to see anyone play it competitively. Its spell lore might be a bit more powerful now with some capable units backing it up, and the weakness of being unable to raise new units effectively heal etc is now gone.

Edit - and ignore reaper. 20 models is about 700pts for Ogres. Their biggest weakness was cost effectiveness in the past, but 8th edition made 2000pts harder to achieve.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Last edited by Vaz; 09-08-14 at 11:42 PM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
The vast departure of rules and the vast advancement of the fluff (as opposed to filling in an event in history) suggests otherwise - rules for having several similar buildings placed together suggests fortifications, conjoined stats for Monster and Rider, new spell-lores available universally...

End times has some awesome combinations - Necrotects/Tomb Kings in units of Grave Guard for Frenzy, WS6 and then giving them all +1 to hit, for example.

Bear in mind that taking Undead Legion precludes you from allowing Tomb Kings and Princes in chariots to join other units of Tomb Kings Chariots as that particular special rule allowing that refers purely to Tomb Kings armies, but it's so weak and one trick pony (in a meta that has at least 3 cannon type effects in most armies anyway), along with the rest of the army being so poor that I've yet to see anyone play it competitively. Its spell lore might be a bit more powerful now with some capable units backing it up, and the weakness of being unable to raise new units effectively heal etc is now gone.

Edit - and ignore reaper. 20 models is about 700pts for Ogres. Their biggest weakness was cost effectiveness in the past, but 8th edition made 2000pts harder to achieve.
It was a rough estimate and I guessed low.

Sue me.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 12:52 AM
Vaz

Why are you giving advice on something you know nothing about?

This is rhetorical, do not answer and take the thread off topic

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I had thought about ogres, but their model line is so small, doesn't look like there is much room for different builds. But when I look at the undead I see two armies which seem like they have loaf's of different builds. I'm not going to be super competitive when I first start as I want to get used to the rules first. I just don't want to start an army that will be too complicated to play or will see be crushed every time I.but my models on the table.

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 12:07 PM
Vaz

The problem is with Tomb Kings, I cannot actually see a phase in which they adequately compete.

Let's look at Tomb Kings;

Heirophant; benefits provided including a 6+ Ward save for him and his unit. Everything else is a malus - must be the highest level wizard, and must take Lore of Nehekhara, Crumble Tests if he dies.

List strengths;

Tomb Kings/Princes - WS6/5 for your infantry and chariots seem kind of cool, until you realise that you're limited to S3 Skeletons (only benefit is free Light Armour), or Tomb Guard (who pay more for Halberds than Grave Guard pay for Great Weapons - and with I3, for the most part, and then partly thanks to Step Up and Supporting Attacks, it doesn't make a difference against the units you're going to be wanting them up against - things like Executioners, or Chaos Warriors).

Chariot units - they provide a similar damage output as a basic heavy cavalry unit. The problem is, they cost around 2-3 times what someone who is paying for a unit of Empire Knights. With a S4 charge as well, they're not exactly hitting much.

Compare them to another Core Chariot - Chaos Chariots. They cost half as much, but as a Scythed Chariot, it's doing twice the impact hits, the two chaos warriors are dealing double the damage, it is tougher (T5, 4 wounds, 3+ save), and can take a Mark of Chaos, like Nurgle to make it even more resilient or tougher (-1 to hit in melee, in conjunction with WS5, means that WS2 units like your skellies without princes etc are hitting on a 6+, and most others are hitting on a 5+).

Necroknights I always forget about - they're kind of cool, but for Monstrous Cavalry, they're not really all that, 2 Killing Blow attacks/base and 3 S5 Poisoned Attacks are hardly game winners, especially with Initiative 3 and WS3-4 - at 65pts per, they're a lot of waste - compare that to say Skullcrushers - 13 points more, but have +1 WS, +1 Strength, +2 Initiative, +1 Attack, 1+ Saves, mounts with a S6 Charge... Yeah. They're still good - but at a level when everything else is so much better. It is slightly unfair comparing them to something as "broken" as Skullcrushers (which need to be cheap enough to be taken, but also to be stand out killy in an army of stand out killy anyway). If you compare them to something similar to Demigryph Knights, they're 7pts a model cheaper.

The One thing that Tomb Kings does exceptionally well is Power Dice generation, between the Casket of Souls and the Heirotitan - it's just a shame that to get any good use out of the lores they have access to (Lore of Light or Death, the two most powerful lores arguably in game, even if they are somewhat situational), you have a 210pt model Tax, on top of your general (you're going to want the Ld10 King for the bubble on crumble tests), which means that you're shit out of luck unless you play The End Times rules allowing 50% lords - 25% in a 2K list is your Liche High Priest, 100pts of items and a level 4, coming in a 310, leaving your King on Foot and 20pts for Magic Items, or a second L3 Wizard with 15pts of kit.

The Lore of Nehekhara is pretty terrible - any augment also heals D3+1 wounds. That's pitiful - it's a single Chaos Warriors attack routine, or 16pts of Empire Halberdiers.

Cursed Blades gives you Killing Blow in CC, or increases Killing Blow range on your existing KB's. Its short range means that if you're going to be using it on your Chariots/Necroknights or whatever, you're going to need to shell out for Fly of some sort (Cloak of Dunes). Another spell provides a 5+ Ward Save to a single unit - which makes units sort of tougher - but honestly, it's a waste of spellcasting potential - if you're using it on a tanky unit, there should be enough bodies anyway - you have skellies. If using it on things like Necroknights or Chariots, then you've charged into something too killy to handle, and despite a 33% reduction in damage, it will in all likelihood see you killed anyway. Short range on it can be lethal.

Smiting - many people were hacked off that the one amazing use it had back in 6th edition for getting double Screaming Skull shots off was written off. Now you're making your "killy" units slightly more killy, or your horde units able to kill another couple of models. Works best with ranged units as its short range can let you sit in your deployment - but BS shooting is kind of wank when only 1/3rd of your shots hit.

Vengeance Dangerous Terrain can be lethal - it actually has a useable range. 10+ is a risky 2 cast though - would have been decent as a 8+ spell. Dessication is a decent debuff, and has a useable range as well, but the augment is kind of suck for a 22+. Would have been better for a 14+ augment with 48" range to let you backline and then SSC them into oblivion. Skullstorm blows hairy chode. 15+ for a S4 hit on a small template? BRB lores are offering save or dies here. And the signature spell? You're never going to get this off - and the limitation on being unable to charge during this movement renders it ineffectual.

Quote:
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-14, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

@Vaz Thanks a million for that rundown in the army. Can the weakness of the tomb kings be nullified with the addition of vampire counts. From what I read, vampires are extremely strong and tough. People recommend you go archer heavy and troop heavy with the tomb king half while getting the elites from the vampire counts book. What do you guys think.

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode