Beginning from the start: Battalion? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-12, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Beginning from the start: Battalion?

I was wondering out of all the battalion boxes which one do you think is worth getting if you're starting an army, the criteria I'm thinking about is as follows.

1.) Value for Money
2.) Ease of use for a beginner as well as usefulness of what's included.

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 12-08-12 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 04:59 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Ogres battalion is generally considered to be the best of the bunch in terms of usability, price and price/point on the table.

Dawrves and Bretonnians also have solid battalions which won't give you any useless models even if you buy two or three boxes.

Dwarves are the easiest army in the game to play (point and shoot, pointing optional), Ogres are pretty damned easy to use too if you stick to the standard builds. Brets much, much harder.

People disagree about the worst Battalions, though Tomb Kings, Empire and Warriors of Chaos are often mentioned.

Why? Are you thinking of starting Fantasy?

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

Last edited by Azezel; 12-08-12 at 05:01 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I've been trying to get back into actually playing the game which I haven't played for around 2 editions now. Due to problems it's been hard and I want to start completely from the beginning as if I've never played before, so I'm basically a beginner.

I ended up getting the isle of blood set yesterday instead of an actual battalion, I've always been interested in the two armies in it so I thought it would be a better place to start rather than the battalion.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 05:53 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post

I ended up getting the isle of blood set yesterday instead of an actual battalion, I've always been interested in the two armies in it so I thought it would be a better place to start rather than the battalion.
Mostly dang. I started out with two IoBs (well, the Elves from...) and it was a mistake.

Y'see, you'll really only ever use the Mage and Swordmasters from the Elven half of that box. And that's if you like Swordmasters, which not everyone does.

The rest of the army is somewhere between 'not useful' and 'deliberate handicap'.

I really cannot recommend the High Elf Battalion either. Especially if you already have some IoB models.

Since you're already committed my advice would be to ignore the Seaguard. Just put them on ebay or something.

Put the Reavers in the back of a cupboard or 'cos chances are they'll be awesome in the next Army Book, so wait for that.

Convert the Gryphon to count-as as a Great Eagle.

Head on over to Ulthaun.net and read/ask about core troops to see if you like Archers or Spears and buy some of them. (I like spears myself, but I'm in the minority.)

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

Last edited by Azezel; 12-08-12 at 05:59 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Well I was mainly thinking of playing skaven as I've always found them interesting and different to anything I've played before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode