Best army for magic phase domination - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-12, 04:35 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Tomb Kings magic phase; all these power dice and nothing worthwile to cast.

VC; the most useful lore regarding balance of the army. It is integral to making the army play at its best, but doesn't hamper if you don't take more than a L1 Blender Fighty Lord or L4 Master of the Dead Necrolord.

Divine Edge; Crappy lores? damn, if OnG were actually better at doing anything, then their Little Waagh would be among the more powerful lores in the game.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-12, 05:56 PM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

It's not terrible. The little wagh is much more nuanced then some other lores, but I'd take shadow, death, life, or even some WoC/DoC lores over it. Skaven spells are better, and I could make a case for the elf lores too. The poisoned attacks and armour piercing are pretty lame to me. The fix it spell is just like curse of the midnight wind (or some spell from heavens). Night shroud is situational at best and vindictive glare just sucks. Itchy nusiance is pretty good, and bad moon can be, but you have a 50% chance of casting the big one on 6 die with a level 4. Mushrooms can help, but your mage is about to blow himself up then.

Magic phases are integral to undead, but in all honesty, the tomb kings only have a few semi-decent buffs. Nothing else is IMO worth casting.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-12, 09:36 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally I love OnG mage: orcs magic sucks mainly because its all direct damage and so doesn't work when in combat (not sure which genius thought that up) but little waargh is pretty awesome. Itchy nuisance is one of the best spells in the game (you do NOT want to be striking after a hoard of savage orcs) and combined with higher level bad moon (or just a lucky little moon) it'll destroy whole armies.
Best of all you should just shove a cheap lv1 night goblin onto the side of each and every unit of orcs: you get a few extra channels for cheap and have sneaky stabbin all over the place. Its nice for armour piercing but if you happen to flank its devastating.

But if we are going for magical dominance there's only 3 races in it: DE, HE and lizards. Lizards certainly have the best defence of the 3 and they are pretty strong but I think they are out done by banner of sorcery/jewel of dusk HE or spammed Lv1-2 DE: getting +2-4 power dice a turn is nasty but then being able to throw 1 dice at power of darkness off 2-3 throwaway mages to help power-up an uber sorceress can also be devastating.
... as to which is actually strongest, I don't really know, but allow Teclis and the debate ends rather quickly...

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-12, 02:09 AM
Vaz

Yup. Gobbo magic mainly.

Sneaky Stealing Attribute; free power dice? Works better with trickle casting which works for Wood Elves and Vampires; not so much Dweller/Pit/Sun bombs.

Sneaky Stabbing; Armour Piercing and Rerolls to hit and wound in the flank? One dicing to get armour piercing is good enough, anything extra just makes enemies even more careful not to expose a flank. Imagine this on any sort of med strength (4-5) unit with decent movement. One dicing as well just to get additional Power Dice? Definately

Vindictive Glare; we know Magic Missiles are shit. So lets give it low casting cost. Wait; 5+? That is worth one dicing definately. Again, just worth casting to get the additional dice, but 7-10.5 s3 hits is not much to sniff at against Elves etc.

Gift of the Spider God; Name one any unit which would not appreciate an 8+ (!) spell to get Poisoned attacks, or a buff to existing poison.

Itchy Nusiance; Another cheap spell; battlefield control, and I1? What is not to love?

Gork'll fix it; 8+ to become near enough immune to a units poison/killing blow while effectively giving all units targetting it Armour Piercing?

Night Shroud; Dangerous Terrain with a 24" bubble, throwing in -1 to enemy BS? Yes please. Curse of Anraheir is a 10+ spell and only affects one.

Curse; This synergises with Shadow/Death so well it is unreal. If you have both Dwellers/Pit/Sun you can roll decently, and have a good chance of getting off 2'nukes in a turn.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-12, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

melsaphim's Flag is: England

Thanks again to all who have posted so far on this topic, this is once more turning into an invaluable source of information and ideas.

To everyone who has said DE for a variety of reasons i am planning on including a lot of magic potential in my DE army but also a reasonable amount of killy killy CC character build so for this 'magic' army i'm really wanting to focus away from DE, not to discredit your comments or their value as this is at heart still a discussion of the best army for magic dominance in fantasy not a 'whats best out of these armies' kind of list without DE in it.

On the topic of Lizardmen if i take two slaan i am assuming they are lord options allowing me to use my heroes on skink priests? I am almost completely certain this army i make will include nothing but magic casting/using characters nothing else so all chars must use magic hence why i would want the heroes to be skink priests if i use any.

With this in mind what would be the best army to saturate the field with magic caster characters and nothing else. What army can field the highest ratio of magic users in their list so to speak. and could an army of pure magic Characters and then units to support those characters work for that matter?

"Shadows cannot hide you, for you are hunted by angels"
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-12, 06:56 PM
Vaz

If you take Dual Slann, there won't be many points left in the pot after taking a ton of Chameleon Skinks, Salamanders and Saurus. Under dual Slann with shadow; try a Skink Cohort with Mindrazor; s6 attacks are still nasty as hell (you still get Javelins as well), and it can force the opponent onto your Saurus Blocks in time for a Dwellers/Pit of Shades.

Quote:
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-12, 09:39 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thought of that... but unfortunately mindrazor specifies close combat attacks. So no S6 javs for skinks

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-12, 10:38 PM
Vaz

Sorry forgot to say that; but even so Javelins can get their fair share of kills.

Quote:
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-12, 01:40 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsaphim View Post

With this in mind what would be the best army to saturate the field with magic caster characters and nothing else. What army can field the highest ratio of magic users in their list so to speak. and could an army of pure magic Characters and then units to support those characters work for that matter?
There are only two armies which can do this without gimping yourself.

Non undead armies need a BSB. Trying to play 8ed without a BSB is taking a deliberate handicap.

Lizardmen and high elves have this covered.

Slann can act as both general and BSB for Lizardmen.

High elves need a Noble as BSB, but for 45 points you can give him the Radient Gem of Hoeth to make him a Wizard. He's a pretty damned good fighter/mage too with heavy armour, and an ASF Great Weapon.

(You can also give the Gem to a Prince which is pretty damned brutal).

High elves can also have Dragon Mages (Hero level Fire Mage riding a dragon) and mount Archmages on Dragons. Not really a good idea, but they can do it.

You could even have a dragon-riding prince with the gem to make him a wizard and a hero-level Dragonmage.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-12, 01:50 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

What's the worse magical race, aside from those who don't have it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode