Dagmire needs help with VC (new player) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-12, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Dagmire's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Dagmire needs help with VC (new player)

Well I have decided to take the plunge and have a go at being a square baser……
It was only ever going to be one army, Vampire counts. Being a Goth and a huge Countess Bathory fan I feel quite at home with the un-dead, and what nerd can say he doesn’t love Zombies???
SO as I have no idea I about Fantasy I have decided to come here and ask for advice/tips on my idea for a list.
As I said I love the “Bathory” lore so I guess I will want a blood thirsty count of my own. The idea of a coven of female Vampires surrounded by zombies, skellys and knights is a strong contender. I guess there will need to be a necromancer or two in there too.
I am interested in running with a few large units of zombies and skeletons that have been raised from the dead to supplement the Countess and her court of followers.
I am interested in running a few knights and that huge war machine with the vampires on looks outstanding.
Anyone able to give me any hints and tips on how best this type of army might work out and what units work well together….

……I know little about the game and the units VC have.

D

Please listen to my PODCAST

http://www.theoverlords.co.uk/podcast/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraknarn
This unholy amalgum of womanly sexiness with unfathomable macho should never have been created. Birth rates will plummit, the entire male population will be turned, women kind everywhere will cry desperately to ravished, but no man will heed the call except Dagmire himself. Perhaps this has been Dagmires plan all along. . . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-12, 07:12 PM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

You can't go much wrong w/ a couple large blocks of skeletons and zombies. Use them to tarpit the enemy and use your knights to hammer them in the sides. Even a block of grave guard will be handy as a combat block.

Don't forget to get some support stuff in there in the way of spirit hosts/dire wolves/bat swarms/fell bats. They are cheap drops and let you set up the battles that you want.

Something to consider would be to get a battalion box or 2 for the VC. Tack on 2 boxes (minimum) of zombies and some characters and you have yourself a decent starting force!

Back around the end of 6th/start of 7th editions I wanted to do an all female characters VC army as well. I even converted a damsel from the Brett line to be one of my necros!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

hummmm, thanks for the advice. Not sure i like the idea of ghouls and the wolves though

Quote:
This unholy amalgum of womanly sexiness with unfathomable macho should never have been created. Birth rates will plummit, the entire male population will be turned, women kind everywhere will cry desperately to ravished, but no man will heed the call except Dagmire himself. Perhaps this has been Dagmires plan all along. . . . . .

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 09:44 PM

Well, then you cold just go w/ 3 or 40 boxes of skeletons, probably about 3 boxes of zombies (you're going to need the extras for raising beyond the starting size or starting new units), 2 or 3 boxes of grave guard, maybe a box or 2 of black knights, and a few characters. That may get you to about 1500pts ... give or take. And for characters, if you want all female, I highly suggest the Avatars of War vampire!

I wouldn't be so quick to shrug off the wolves. You will need some type of chaff units and the wolves fill that role really well. Not to mention the spirit hosts. I suppose you could use hex wraiths but they are pretty pricy points wise to be used as a chaff unit.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

what about bats instead of wolves?

Quote:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 09:52 PM

Bats could work well. Fell bats can fly so can move a bit further. Bat swarms confer Always Strike Last to enemy units in base contact w/ them so they could be useful as support to a block of infantry.

EDIT: Bats will die easily as swarms are only T2 and fell bats are T3. Both have multiple wounds but you can't rely on that. Also, both bat selections take points in the special slots where you have your grave guard, black knights, and the new monstrous infantry units.

Last edited by KarnalBloodfist; 03-31-12 at 10:02 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that might be good. I fancy a "Bram Stokers DRACULAR" style army. So powerful Vampires controling the elements.
As i have yet to grab the rule book or codex any chance you could mock up a quick army list???
I will rep you...

Quote:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-12, 10:02 PM

How many points are you looking at?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

1500 at first, i thing thats the normal points level? Then increasing to 2k

Quote:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 04:08 PM

1500 is a good start. You can get a good amount of troops in there plus a bit of the heavy hitters. To keep in line w/ your fluff, maybe start out w/ something like this:

Lvl 2 Vampire w/ Talisman of of Endurance, Enchanted Shiled, Gold Sigil Sword, Dark Acolyte, Summon Creatures of the Night - 225
Lvl 2 Necromancer w/ Dispel Scroll, Master of the Dead - 145
40 Skeletons w/ Full Command, Screaming Banner - 255
40 Zombies w/ Standard Bearer, Musician - 130
30 Grave Guard w/ Full Command, Great Weapons, Banner of Eternal Flame - 400
5 Fell Bats - 80
2 x 1 Spirit Host - 90
Varghulf - 175

That comes to 1500 on the button. I didn't make the necromancer a master necro because I figured you wanted a vamp to lead the army. Both core blocks and the bats can be raised beyond their starting size (though it'll be hard for the bats as they more than likely are going to be operating outside the max range for Invocation). Support units in the way of fell bats to fly out after stuff and the spirit hosts will have to be hit w/ spells/magic weapons to be dealt with. The Varghulf gives a little punch as a support unit. You could swap the banners around on the skeletons and grave guard if you wanted. To start, that's 4 boxes of skeletons, 2 boxes of zombies, and 3 boxes of grave guard. And that's only if you don't want to take the core units beyond starting size. Otherwise you're looking at probably getting an additional 2 boxes of bot skeletons and zombies.

When you go up to 2K, you could make the vamp a lord and add some more toys to her and then also add some other stuff like a Mortis Engine and possibly a BSB (all depends on how you kit out the vamp).

Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to try to fit something else in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode