Tuskgor Chariots. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-12, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Default Tuskgor Chariots.

Ok. I am trying to finish my Beastmen. I want to find away around using a sh*t ton of Gors. Now Tuskgor Chariots have caught my eye, but I have a sneaking suspicion they aren't as good as they seem. Anyone that can give me some insight into how they are will be most appriciated!

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-12, 04:43 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Only successful local beastmen army ran with a huge block of gors with lv4 greatbray with beasts supported by 3-4 tuskgor chariots. It was a really nasty army when it was combined effectively.
Chariots give quite a bit to a beastmen army, which can otherwise lack the impact of other armies (its not like gor will rip through units like warriors of chaos can).

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-12, 05:14 PM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

Tuskgor chariots have a lot of potential. The thing about them is you have to remember that they are a support unit. Use them in combined charges or charge in a turn after a combat block of gors or bestigors. At only T4, they will attract a lot of fire. But that's less fire coming in at your combat blocks.

They also make great a deterrence to your opponent's support units. Not too many support units are going to be able to handle a charge from a tuskgor chariot.

The only thing I don't understand is why GW took away the Tusker Charge when O&G boars still get it. After all, aren't tuskgors supposed to be even more nasty, mutated boars??

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 02-19-12 at 07:58 AM. Reason: mild sp annoyance :P

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-12, 06:43 PM
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

They are best used to deal with flankers and to provide redirection/interference threats. Charging a unit of light cav or skirmishers will generally kill them off. Charging enemy chaff units also will kill them and clear the way for the main units. A 4+ armour save with T4 and 4 wounds on M7 is a decent unit especially with S5 impact hits and 4 models potentially having a total of 4 attacks with hatred (two tuskgors at S4, one gor at S3 and one bestigor at S6 with the great weapon). Sometimes you can charge something and get in enough impact hits and stuff to win CR on round one and tie the unit up to keep it from charging something in that player's turn. Even if one loses CR in the next round of combat, the swiftstride will often allow the chariot to escape and set that unit up to being charged in your next turn. Also, there are times when one can bait and flee with the chariot out front and, assuming it comes within range of the LD bubble, it can reliably rally but be very careful how it flees.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-12, 11:22 PM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

They can be handy, depending on who you're facing.
In more friendly games, they can carry a lot of weight.
In more competitive games, they can be a point sink

I've found that at a pretty low T (even s3 wounds on 5s) and low I, they most often don't get to live to use their potential.
Like everything in the beastmen book, they're over-priced. 80 points for core chariots may sound good; but here's what they're missing:
  • tusker charge effect
  • scythes
  • decent leadership for the ever crucial Primal fury/ tests outside the ldr bubble.
  • holding power
  • notable saves (4+ becomes 5+ vs most any troops....and so on)

Now, despite all this, they excel at taking out light cav/ skimishers etc etc.
That being said, your Razorgors and ungors can more than handle this.
Beastmen army rely on swinging combats to YOUR advantage. You need to be able to hold up the enemy and keep his elites away from your crucial combats.
what does two chariots get you? 6 wounds, 2d6 impact (IF you get the charge) and really only 2 primal fury ASL s6 attacks.
What does the same points get you in ungors? 30 or so ungors that have a smaller footprint, ranks, primal fury, parry save, command options and more.

Not only that, but the March 10 vs move 7 is HUGE in the army that has to take the fight to the enemy.
If the enemy is sitting and shooting, or has shooting of ANY kind (casket, trebuchet, blow-gun-machineguns, etc etc) the chariot is a free 80 points. I've had games come down to those two chariots that were sniped turn 1. If I'm lucky, turn 2.

Against some enemies, the chariots are better than average; T3 opponents. However, when you're looking for reliability and the ability to hold an opponent, I'd go with ungors any day.

Ungors can recieve and hold a charge from hellpits, chosen and the most elite and nasty due to 'steadfast'. Can chariots say the same?
Will augments help chariots as much as ungors? Wyssans affects ONE unit. (etc etc)

You're right though: Gors won't be winning on their own. They need help. Weather through magic, flanks or chariot charges in the side, they need help. One casting of Wyssans helps them more than a chariot charge would. T5 s4 monsters on the field.

I'm not saying they're total rubbish, but they're not as potent as people think.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > General Warhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode