Whats up with Tau? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Default Whats up with Tau?

I've read a few threads in the Tau army list/tactics sections and it seems the majority opinion is that as of right now they are a little weaker than they should be...is that true? Are they worth collecting? Any comments are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 06:00 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

The issue with tau at the moment is that they cannot do assault and there will always be assualts in a game. Tau have no unit that can work when lines start to crash if you can't win in 2 turns shooting, you lose, and with cover the way it is you can't win with shooting any more.

Tau are alot weaker than in their "glory" days but can still be fun to play and capable of winning games but it won't be turn up and win games
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Ohhh I see, I know they are getting updated next year but what would you recommend starting to collect since now? Or just wait it out? Or move on? I like their basic troop models and figured they are a more D heavy army which is the playstle I prefer but I'm not sure if they are worth collecting since now

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 06:26 PM
LordKulvax's Flag is: United Kingdom

They are definitely a nice looking army, if it's an army you really enjoy the look of then proxy a few games with some friends and play test some things. That's what i do when deciding a new army
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 06:41 PM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

Outside of kroot tau really don't have an answer for assault as stated above. With the abundance of 4+ saves in 5th edition, the gunline list doesn't have good results as in previous editions. They can put up a fight...with alot of battlesuits and pirahna/devilfish spam....but don't expect to win alot of games.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thats a shame, I might have to get in a practice game this weekend then and see how they are or hopefully even watch someone who runs them
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 07:50 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Primary mistake new tau players make is using them as a static stand and shoot army, they currently need to be moving all the time

Currently theres no real static stand and shoot style army out there simply as this edition is all about assualt, but have a look through the codex, proxy up a small game and have some fun with the ideas. Even post up a list and everyone will tear it to shreads, but honestly thats a good thing

If you like the models that may be enough to learn some nifty tactics of how to play with them, they are fun but they take some patience to be good with.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 07:54 PM

Wingman's Flag is: USA

I love my Tau and still continue to play regular games at my LGS. The paint schemes are very cool and generally will be something meant to blend in. They were my first army and still my favorite although I really enjoy Dark Eldar.

As far as collecting them goes get lots of devilfishes and Skyrays. The reason you want to buy skyrays and not Hammerheads is that the Skyray box costs the same and comes with the missle set and a railgun so you can use both. I also reccomend that you buy or at least look at the Forgeworld Hazard suit models because they are in my opinion so much better than the cardboard boxes taped together look of the crisis suits.

I normally field a mech army where all my Firewarriors start out in a transport and I play the rest with suits and tanks. You will need to stay mobile and be willing to sacrifice a few units so that your big hitters stay in the game.

Although they are fun to play you will lose games and most often it will be an up hill struggle when you play heavy CC armies.

If you ever have any questions about Tau feel free to message me and I will get back to you whenever I am on.

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 11:32 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

no power weapons for kroots means they get battered by other assault units,
we're fast but with ba assault squads they just catch us too quickly

our troop options are a burden not an asset with most people minimising them and putting them in a fish because 12 fire warriors means 6 hits which is as most things are toughness 4, 4 wounds then a 3+ armour save. which comes to about1-2 meqs or 4 a turn for lighter armour. a 120 point unit that will be mowed down in assault if you keep it static or absolutely trounced by a couple of heavy bolters if its out of cover.

None of our troop options out of vehicles is hard enough to hold an objective.

Essentially tau have no assault phase and our shooting phase isnt quite good enough for us to hold our own. If i can get most of them out of their transports early on, i can manoveur round them and with a bit of luck hold my own in a killpoint game. However if its objectives it gets really tough as if they manage to pop my devilfish i have an immobile troop choice with a low toughness and low chance of survival.

I dont want them to give us an assault unit, its not how tau plays, they need to give us something to counter the assault phase, like tau automatically running away after an assault with no sweeping advance from the enemy as if to simulate the ones killed in assault are just the rearguard sacrificing themselves for the greater good.
I dont see that happening but i wouldnt change my army, i love my tau.

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 11:37 PM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbringer View Post
I dont want them to give us an assault unit, its not how tau plays, they need to give us something to counter the assault phase, like tau automatically running away after an assault with no sweeping advance from the enemy as if to simulate the ones killed in assault are just the rearguard sacrificing themselves for the greater good.
I dont see that happening but i wouldnt change my army, i love my tau.
Hit and Run in the BRB Pg75?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode