What SM chapter deserves their own codex? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

View Poll Results: What original SM chapter deserves its own codex?
Imperial Fists 19 27.14%
Iron Hands 18 25.71%
Raven Guard 8 11.43%
Salamanders 19 27.14%
White Scars 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 11:28 AM

Here is an idea, why don't GW just bite the Bullet and bring out a Codex for each of the 1,000 chapters.

Easy Peasy.

Ultramarines are Pussies

Except Dark Angels, any chapter that sounds like a Death Metal Band can't be that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 11:30 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

out of those options the only one that has legs is Iron Hands, the possibilities for a genuinely different codex from what we already have are definitely there.
I do think that the other chapters in the poll could have more available to them while still being part of the codex crew.
But personally if we are talking about marines who need a codex the chaos legions need it far more, huge numbers of genuinely amazing units could be invented for chaos legions.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 11:35 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would of said Salamanders before they decided to drop the whole being slow thing due to the gravity of their world in favour of just making them onyx black with red eyes. Anyway any of the first founding legions can be made into a codex, it just depends how radical you want to accentuate their differences.

In some cases of course this would be easier but tbh they could drop the DA codex altogether and merged it with the SM codex by simply adding a couple of rules for a special character that allows for the create of the ravenwing and deathwing.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 11:43 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Really? None of them. Most chapters just aren't unique enough to warrent having their own codex... and with more SM chapters, means its longer before other races get updated.

Salamanders? Marines with more flaming weapons... Iron Hands? Bunch of bionics... Really alot of chapters could just be easily represented by an armywide rule such as a generic +1 to a stat, or a relaxed restriction on weapon types, or a short 'Replace X vanilla marine unit with y special unit' entry.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 11:47 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

None of the above.

I don't believe ANY SM chapter should have its own codex.
They should all use the same one.

If you want a different 3+ codex, use the csm one.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 11:48 AM

I wouldn't give any a separarte codex instead maybe do chapter tactics as an upgrade for all the generic hqs
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedog View Post
None of the above.

I don't believe ANY SM chapter should have its own codex.
They should all use the same one.

If you want a different 3+ codex, use the csm one.
Why, we here in the CSM world don't want that Imperium Scum anywhere near our flawed Codex.

Ultramarines are Pussies

Except Dark Angels, any chapter that sounds like a Death Metal Band can't be that bad.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 12:17 PM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

None of those to be honest. They don't really have enough different from a standard codex chapter to warrant their own chapter. Fists especially, being the no.2 adherents to the Codex Astartes and hence best suited to the vanilla codex.

Out of those listed Iron Hands would be the most worthy but even then you can make an Iron Hnads force fairly handily out of the current codex. Master of the forge, some extra dreadnoughts and bionics for asthetics (or as count as stormshield or ironhalos etc) and there you go.

Really what would be best is either the old Index Astartes system, where each chapter/legion got a few tweaks to the standard book or the 4th ed traits system where you could represent the legions or your own chapter.

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 12:31 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

As much as i agree that as things are at the moment those chapters listed can be made from the space marine codex, but i think with a codex of there own, some (if not all?) could be developed to be significantly different from other codex chapters, the iron hands for example have a very distinct look and feel with the bionics etc , but that could also be developed further to include units or vehicles specific to that chapter of marines (dont ask me what)

Do we need another space marine chapter with its own codex? hell no! they already have enough codex, more focus on xenos races, guard regiments and chaos would be my choice, but in the poll would be iron hands

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

jaysen's Flag is: USA

I love how all the non-space marine players gotta throw in a plug, just in case GW is trolling the website.

I guess it would be fair to say that all of those chapters could use some more unique fluff, characters, and possibly some chapter traits to make their armies distinct from the Ultramarines. Does that require a complete different book? No. But, it could be seen as a different army list. I hate, I mean absolutely HATE, how they allow any of the special characters from any chapter into any other chapter's list, as a "counts as".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode