Playing the Bad Guys... - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 03:12 PM

Sephyr's Flag is: Brazil

My main is Chaos Marines and I'm working on my new Dark Eldar. I was even tempted by the new necrons. You could say I go for villain factions.

Maybe because I like underdogs, and in modern storytelling, starting as a beleaguered good guy with a dead sister/dad/girlfriend is the surest path to victory. But I also like the drama of evil. Morgoth sitting on his throne while the elven High King pounds the doors to his fortress, thinking of his first betrayal aeons before. Mog-Pharau threading the world in the First Apocalypse, his presence so fell that no child was born alive in the 11 years he lived, trying to sever the world from the afterlife to avoid judgement.

People damned as much for their virtues as for their vices.

That said, My next faction might be Grey Knights, for contrast. Also, low model count means less $$$. On the other hand, they -could- be construed as villains...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 03:16 PM

I've always found villians to be more complex and compelling characters in fiction. I think it's the fact that the villian has a motivation that inspires him to preform an act, whereas the hero is always just messing up the villians stuff. A hero without a villian is nothing but a villian without a hero is a dude just doing his thing. I find it easier to sympathise with someone with a plan, with motivation and an end result; than with the guy who's end goal is for everything to go back to the way it was.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 10:30 PM

C'Tan Chimera's Flag is: USA

Because if I had to choose between the good guys, aka "Dicks" or the bad guys, aka "I'm full blown evil and I love it! MUHAHAHA", I'll pick that cheese sandwich any day.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 05:26 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonschwine View Post
Do you enjoy playing the "bad guys"?

who are we defining as the "bad guys"? because all truths are simply different viewpoints.

If so what attracted you to "the darkside" and why?
Cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 05:35 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

In almost all table top games I've played the bad guys, often later I'll pick up good guys, but I always start with the baddies.

In many of those games the villainous forces had more aesthetically interesting miniatures, that were more challenging to paint.

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Marines
Warhammer Fantasy: Chaos (now chaos warriors)
Warzone: Dark Legion (evil) and Capitol (good)
Necromunda: Scavvies
Chronopia: Devout (evil) and Firstborn (good)

It always seems like more fun in these settings to go out and make a mess of things, instead of cleaning the messes up.

Cheers,
Kreuger

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 08:38 AM
Feed

It allows me to keep being a nice guy in real life while allowing my

I FUCKING WANT TO KILL YOU ALL YOU SHITBRAINED CUNTZ

side to vent occasionally. Everybody needs to kill something now and then, even if it`s only little plastic soldiers or pixels on a screen.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 08:52 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

Define "bad guys"

Do you take the religious route? where "Bad guys" encompass the Vices, where "good guys" encompass Virtues?

Do you take it to a Lawful state, where the good guys follow the law, and the bad guys break it?

you should really define "bad guy" before asking a question like this

I play the evil side because they generally have a better offset and appearance.

Spikes + Dark armor + glowing evil eyes = cool.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 09:46 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Wait.
You mean we're the bad guys?

I had a distinct Mitchell and Webb moment.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 11:58 PM

From the previous Codex: Chaos Space Marines:

Quote:
There is something darkly fascinating about villains. Not the run-of-the-mill petty villains, but the big villains, the ones that plot universal domination and have the ability to see it through. These villains are just as resourceful, just as determined, and just as capable as any hero, but they also have faults and weaknesses that make them far more interesting. This is, I believe, [their] attraction... There is a certain tragedy about them, but also a grim, uncompromising ferocity that drives them on.
They're interesting from a story perspective, which is something I like to have in all my armies. You have to think hard about their motivations, what drives them, what makes them think what they're doing is right. It's a challenge that doesn't often come up with the more "virtuous" factions. I use the term loosely because, well, this IS 40K. But it's one of the reasons I like the Inquisition. It's made of so many different philosophies and paradigms, each one so convinced that they know what's right for mankind. It's why I find them so much more interesting and fun than the incorruptable daemon-fighting supersoldiers who take up most of the army list.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 12:12 AM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

I usually play the good guys, but I'm starting to enjoy the dark side of the universe.

I recently started playing WoC in fantasy, DEldar in 40k, and I'm planning on starting a Chaos Dwarf army/supplement to my WoC force.

But when I make bad guys, their intentions aren't "evil" per se (e.g., dominating everything, killing everyone, raping, destroying, etc), but stuff like wanting to add some randomness to the mix (my WoCs are Tzeenchian) or destroying those who have wronged them in a bloody and violent fashion (my Dwarfs).

My only really evil army is my DEldar.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode