Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Should I just...

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  shaantitus 
#1 ·
Should I just stick to a codex chapter that's easy to paint? I'm having trouble just focusing on a single army, I get some units but I lose interest quickly due to fact I'm a rubbish painter and have the attention span of a finger nail.

So I'm thinking about whether I should just go for a simple colour that needs minimal effort so that I get an army sorted for once. Something like a Green chapter or metallic coloured chapter.

#3 ·
Salamanders? they have nice rules, easy to paint. or Silver Skulls? Or what about GK, less units to get bored with as well.:eek:k:

#5 ·
Problem with Dark Angels is they are "pretty popular" and I have reservations about their backstory ( I get the feeling the Fallen are telling the truth).

I like the more obscure chapters, that kind of have a history but nothing that extravagant. I do like the Salamanders, but I don't think I could do them justice, with all the flames etc and I'd end up going nuts on their forgeworld bits.

Silver Skulls are a possibility, I've just read The Gilder Rift, so I know quite a bit about them, although their whole superstitious nature does kind of grind my gears, but their colour scheme is pretty simple (boltgun metal over black with a wash of badab?).

#6 ·
How about necrons? They're pretty simpe to paint, though granted they're pretty much nerfed on the board.
Or, sticking with astartes, raven guard are basically black, or maybe relictors to give your army a more sinister taste?

#13 ·
This is false. There are spray paints in every colour imaginable. And those that are the seemingly hardest to paint with a brush are often the easiest to paint with the right spray paint as a base, especially Imperial Fists and Iyanden.

Montana Gold's "Yellow Submarine" for example. Perfect for Iyanden, though a brighter tone would be better for Imp Fists. Which they have.

Also, Montana really is the best sprays in the business. Hands down.

#10 ·
If you keep going from army to army why not have a multi chapter force? Have some squads from each of your favourite/ most easily painted chapters in the one army. You can say they're on a crusade or answering the distress call of a particularly important planet.

#14 ·
Atm it's got to the stage where I have some Crimson fists and a unit and character from my homebrew. Personally though for SMs I like the whole army to look the same, just looks nicer on the table imo.

I agree with the relictors. Drybrushed grey and details.
Didn't they get excommunicated?

White scars, spray paint white, paint the shoulder pad rims red, fill in any metal details and paint the eyes... Though, you will have to make sure you do a good spray paint job!
Problem is I was taught that you should never leave the undercoat showing and for white to look good you follow several steps. You have to spray white, then do a wash of badab black, then do a layer of codex grey, then fortress and then finally white.

#12 ·
White scars, spray paint white, paint the shoulder pad rims red, fill in any metal details and paint the eyes... Though, you will have to make sure you do a good spray paint job!

#15 ·
Take a look on Lexicanum...there are tons of chapters on there with minimum background and history. You don't need to go for a more popular chapter to get an interesting scheme. raptors for example are olive drab. It would also allow you to paint a few squads in the origional heraldry of blue and yellow if you wanted a change.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters#.TpTW1rJaaBA

#19 ·
I'd stick with your army, jade tigers. Just spray paint them with gloss white, then go back and paint the shoulderpad trim and kneepads green. If you want, then go and paint the metal bits black or boltgun metal and your done.

#20 ·
For the blood raven example, just grab a shade of red spray paint a shade lighter than your intended final result (if I remember correctly blood ravens look red gore, so find a blood red spray) and use -heavy- red wash on it, it'll darken it up alot and bring the detail back out. After that it's simple shoulder pads/gun/eyes and you're done. Looks pretty damn good too for the amount of effort and expertise required to paint a bunch of models.

edit; this process can be applied to any color of marine chapter (or CSM). Just adjust accordingly.

#21 ·
And really, you should go find someone to tutor you in painting before you give up on it. I spent years not knowing the first thing about painting before I finally started listening to people. Now, I enjoy a whole new side to the hobby.

#22 ·
I just get loads of ideas for what I want to do but then up regretting it, a lot of the time it includes painting a colour I'm really not comfortable with which is why I'm just going to settle for something that's easy to do and looks good, without doing endless coats to get the right colour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.