New editions of 40K and old people... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Uber Ork's Flag is: USA

Default New editions of 40K and old people...

As I've recently just reached the ripe old age of 39, I've realized something about myself and 40K.

With whispers of 6th edition off in the horizon, I realized I'm a lot less excited about when new editions come out. In thinking about why that is, I'm not completely sure, but it might have something to do with my age.

As I grabbed my walker and shuffled to the kitchen to make my fiber enhanced drink, I realized the older I get the less I look forward to having to learn new rules.

Why is that? Do any of you "old timers" feel this way?

- Is it because each day, the older I get, life gets more and more busy and I have less and less time to dedicate to reading and mastering a new rule set?

Or is it something all together more insidious...

OLD AGE

- Maybe it's because each day, as more and more brain cells die off, I have less on hand to deal with learning new rules?

"...Wait, what did I just read again?"

- Maybe it's because each day, as my mind increasingly succumbs to the entropy of this world, I have a hard time keeping the rules of previous editions separate from the new?

My opponent: "...Uhh, they don't have that rule anymore."
Me: "...What? Really? I'm sorry... I didn't realize that. When did they change that?"
My opponent: "Back in 4th edition."
Me: "Oh..."

- Maybe it's because each day, as I edge closer to the inevitable cliff of deterioration and decline, it is harder and harder to recall freshly learned material?

Me: "...How does assault work again?"
My opponent: *sigh*
Me: "I know, I know, I keep forgetting. I'm sorry... how does it go again?"

Well what do you guys think? If you're an old timer like myself, does this describe you? Am I poor representation of the ancient race of elders who still play with little plastic men, or do you find yourself in the same boat? If you're young, what do you think? When you play against "older" opponents, do you see these things, or is this all just me?

Last edited by Uber Ork; 09-16-11 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 06:12 PM

Grokfog's Flag is: England

I get that. Usually i cover my back by regaling them of tales of Orks with bolters and space marines with shuriken catapults until they fall asleep or run away, then i steal their models.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 06:34 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grokfog View Post
I get that. Usually i cover my back by regaling them of tales of Orks with bolters and space marines with shuriken catapults until they fall asleep or run away, then i steal their models.

This is true, Grokfog is one of the most notorious lootas i know.

I tend to get this, though i'm now heading towards the ripe old age of 28 i still remember playing 2nd edition and gorkamorka. I can't even recall how how those used to work now. I occasionally have to untangle rules for some of the youn whipper snappers who get 4th and 5th mixed up but i've only just become satisfied that i "get" the rules myself.

Now with 6th schedualed for next year i worry that by the time i have a competent grasp of the new system, we will already be hitting 7th ed.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 07:22 PM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

I'm almost 49 and have been collecting and playing since about three months into First Edition.
I think that now the differences between Editions are getting smaller and smaller, with each update.
Now, don't get me wrong, there's still an awful lot to strike from your memory and just as much to replace it with and comprehend quickly and efficiently.
But nowhere near like the amount between, let's say, Second and Third Editions.
And we got through that little trauma...

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
I'm almost 49 and have been collecting and playing since about three months into First Edition.
I think that now the differences between Editions are getting smaller and smaller, with each update.
Now, don't get me wrong, there's still an awful lot to strike from your memory and just as much to replace it with and comprehend quickly and efficiently.
But nowhere near like the amount between, let's say, Second and Third Editions.
And we got through that little trauma...
Yes, but you're Eldar. ...You guys age a lot more gracefully than the rest of us.

First let me say I bow to your wisdom as I was but a young spore in Junior High when 1st edition came out. I didn't get into 40K until 2nd edition, but I sure do remember the switch from 2nd to 3rd. The major difference? I was but a young pup a year or two into college when that came out.

I used to be able to pull all nighters all week long with nothing to sustain me except legally addictive stimulants and cheap fast food. Now I can barely stay up past 1am before turning into a pumpkin.

Granted each rules edition since has been subtle changes to LOS, or assault, etc. but at some point it all begins to run together and I find myself as Grimzag said, barely feeling like I've mastered the previous edition before the next comes out.

Last edited by Uber Ork; 09-16-11 at 07:42 PM.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 07:48 PM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

"Yes, but you're Eldar..."
Ha ha ha ha ha...

Perhaps one of the reasons that the editions do blur together, for many people, is that the differences are more subtle these days.

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 07:59 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
Perhaps one of the reasons that the editions do blur together, for many people, is that the differences are more subtle these days.
Having played every edition from Rogue Trader onwards (if you include the week of second edition I played before I gave up because I did not like the assault rules), this is spot on. Large parts of RT are still clear despite having not played for over a decade, whereas the rules from third edition onward are similar enough that I sometimes remember the third or fourth edition version first without realising.

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 09-17-11 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling errors
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
whereas the rules form third edition onward are siinnler enough that I sometimes remember the third or fourth edition version first without realising.
Meaning you accidentally slip into 3rd or 4th while playing a game without thinking about it?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 08:22 PM

Yeah I been playing since 2nd edition, not really looking forward to 6th. Nothing wrong with 5th if you ask me.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 08:54 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

With the Gaming Group I'm a part of the youngest guy is 34, and the oldest 65. All of us have either being playing since RT days or at least were buying the books and collecting the models. I'm in the latter and I didn't actually start playing until 3rd Ed, because like the others who are in that latter group I was too busy working/on overseas business trips. Also, some of the people in our Group are our offspring....the 34yo is my Son (I'm 54).

At a guess I'd say I've played close to 200 games this year, but because shit happens I doubt I'll get in many more, so it'll be more to do with using my experieneces to help others out (IG mainly). Same goes with most of the entire Group really (games played wise) as the enthusiasm for Gaming is strong, but it isn't just 40K and Fantasy WH, but also Warmachine, FOW, Infinity, etc. There's also nothing better than just simply getting together and waffling on for hours about the state of the game, latest model release, saying how crap WD is this month, berating the painting skills of each other, admiring the probably close to 300/350K collection of models we have between the 15 of us.

So yea, for me and my friends old age has done little to diminish our desires...gaming-wise anyway - our wives might have a different spin on it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode