New editions of 40K and old people... - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-11, 12:54 PM

Grokfog's Flag is: England

Hmm, Thread Necromancy... appropriate really, considering the material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-11, 02:53 PM

njfed's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawalker View Post
I think they just dumbed down the rules with each new edition to cater to the younger gamers these days...quick and easy sells apparently..I dont think the rules having gotten better,far from it..but the minis continue to get better all the time
I'm 47. I have the same memory issues being talked about here. Not so much old age as the brain is just so full of crap there ain't much room left for new stuff.

They may have dumbed down the basic rules, but I feel like there has been a proliferation of exceptions with every new codex. That is what really is hard to keep track of.

Yes, I will be using the lash on that unit again so I may touch your models a second time.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-11, 05:58 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I'm 31 and I've been playing since 1.5 (Rogue Trader + Battle Manual/Vehicle Manual) and so far I've never had problems retaining rules. They do get a little fuzzy with the incremental changes but I could still play 2nd ed almost entirely from memory.

Hmm, I'm largely indifferent to new game versions now. I used to greet them with excitement, and a hope that the game would be refined. And over the years sometimes that happened, but more often its been a shift to remake the game in a way that requires new investment. Other than new chaos models I'm not very really interested in shelling out for new GW stuff.

Though I have been happy with the quality of the core rule books for 4th and 5th ed. I remember playing 2nd ed and having to memorize literally everything because GW couldn't be bolloxed to write indexes or glossaries. The newer hardcover books are miles head of all the old softcovers (codices & 3rd ed) that didn't last well.

I still like picking up the core rules to read up, but I haven't played 40k in 5+ years or fantasy in 3+ years. So neither of the latest editions of either. While I still like the idea of playing, I despise the AP system, and I don't have a regular group of people to game against, nor a lot of time to dedicate to more than occasional painting. Especially now that the Missus and I just upgraded our family to include a newborn =).

At this point I think warhammer is a creative outlet and nostalgic pass time, but I don't have the time for it to be more.

Cheers,
Kreuger

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-11, 11:29 PM

I am 45 and i am a collector first, so learning new rules is not all that important to me.

I might play a few games per year, and i am lucky as those who know me are all too willing to help me out with my gaming.

Ultramarines are Pussies

Except Dark Angels, any chapter that sounds like a Death Metal Band can't be that bad.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-22-11, 09:36 AM

Obithius's Flag is: England

Wow,this is like a confession forum. My name is Obithius, I'm 35, and I can no longer remember the 40k rules... :-)
I'm constantly being told "erm...I think that might have been 3rd edition...?"
I was good changing from 2nd to 3rd, but I think, as has already been mentioned, the changes since then have been many and minor.
Most of the time I don't think new rules are needed, it's just different ways of doing the same thing. We played a game of 2nd edition the other night and it played fine. Terminators were tough, Dark Reapers were terrifying if they got line of sight, the Farseer owned the psychic phase...
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-22-11, 11:02 AM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

Yeah, it's like they make very subtle changes just to screw with us.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode