Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

New editions of 40K and old people...

4K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  jaysen 
#1 · (Edited)
As I've recently just reached the ripe old age of 39, I've realized something about myself and 40K.

With whispers of 6th edition off in the horizon, I realized I'm a lot less excited about when new editions come out. In thinking about why that is, I'm not completely sure, but it might have something to do with my age.

As I grabbed my walker and shuffled to the kitchen to make my fiber enhanced drink, I realized the older I get the less I look forward to having to learn new rules.

Why is that? Do any of you "old timers" feel this way?

- Is it because each day, the older I get, life gets more and more busy and I have less and less time to dedicate to reading and mastering a new rule set?

Or is it something all together more insidious...

OLD AGE

- Maybe it's because each day, as more and more brain cells die off, I have less on hand to deal with learning new rules?

"...Wait, what did I just read again?"

- Maybe it's because each day, as my mind increasingly succumbs to the entropy of this world, I have a hard time keeping the rules of previous editions separate from the new?

My opponent: "...Uhh, they don't have that rule anymore."
Me: "...What? Really? I'm sorry... I didn't realize that. When did they change that?"
My opponent: "Back in 4th edition."
Me: "Oh..."

- Maybe it's because each day, as I edge closer to the inevitable cliff of deterioration and decline, it is harder and harder to recall freshly learned material?

Me: "...How does assault work again?"
My opponent: *sigh*
Me: "I know, I know, I keep forgetting. I'm sorry... how does it go again?"

Well what do you guys think? If you're an old timer like myself, does this describe you? Am I poor representation of the ancient race of elders who still play with little plastic men, or do you find yourself in the same boat? If you're young, what do you think? When you play against "older" opponents, do you see these things, or is this all just me?

See less See more
#37 ·
My group has a Word Document that is chock full of Rules/Weapons Stats/Unit Stats and abilities, etc etc that we use as a 'living' 40K Tactica and also for things we've come across in the past that have caused issues for us.

We can all access it to read and add to as things crop up, as we're all getting on so it's a valuable tool really, plus a source of good conversation etc.

#39 ·
I got started playing two weeks after 2nd edition came out. I remember thinking that the models looked interesting, as did the idea of the game. And since I already played Warhammer Fantasy, I figured it wouldn't be to much of a stretch to play 40k.

Then, when I kept playing 40k and eventually stopped playing Fantasy (Haven't touched it in nearly 10 years) I tried to keep each editions rules from intermingling in my skull.

Now a days, I keep trying to remember why it is that I'm not supposed to roll dice and add the highest score to my weapon skill.

#42 ·
I'm 47. I have the same memory issues being talked about here. Not so much old age as the brain is just so full of crap there ain't much room left for new stuff.

They may have dumbed down the basic rules, but I feel like there has been a proliferation of exceptions with every new codex. That is what really is hard to keep track of.

#43 ·
I'm 31 and I've been playing since 1.5 (Rogue Trader + Battle Manual/Vehicle Manual) and so far I've never had problems retaining rules. They do get a little fuzzy with the incremental changes but I could still play 2nd ed almost entirely from memory.

Hmm, I'm largely indifferent to new game versions now. I used to greet them with excitement, and a hope that the game would be refined. And over the years sometimes that happened, but more often its been a shift to remake the game in a way that requires new investment. Other than new chaos models I'm not very really interested in shelling out for new GW stuff.

Though I have been happy with the quality of the core rule books for 4th and 5th ed. I remember playing 2nd ed and having to memorize literally everything because GW couldn't be bolloxed to write indexes or glossaries. The newer hardcover books are miles head of all the old softcovers (codices & 3rd ed) that didn't last well.

I still like picking up the core rules to read up, but I haven't played 40k in 5+ years or fantasy in 3+ years. So neither of the latest editions of either. While I still like the idea of playing, I despise the AP system, and I don't have a regular group of people to game against, nor a lot of time to dedicate to more than occasional painting. Especially now that the Missus and I just upgraded our family to include a newborn =).

At this point I think warhammer is a creative outlet and nostalgic pass time, but I don't have the time for it to be more.

Cheers,
Kreuger

#44 ·
I am 45 and i am a collector first, so learning new rules is not all that important to me.

I might play a few games per year, and i am lucky as those who know me are all too willing to help me out with my gaming.

#45 ·
Wow,this is like a confession forum. My name is Obithius, I'm 35, and I can no longer remember the 40k rules... :)
I'm constantly being told "erm...I think that might have been 3rd edition...?"
I was good changing from 2nd to 3rd, but I think, as has already been mentioned, the changes since then have been many and minor.
Most of the time I don't think new rules are needed, it's just different ways of doing the same thing. We played a game of 2nd edition the other night and it played fine. Terminators were tough, Dark Reapers were terrifying if they got line of sight, the Farseer owned the psychic phase...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.