Wh40k Randon Terrain Chart - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-11, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Luisjoey's Flag is: Venezuela

Icon Wh40k Randon Terrain Chart

Greetings guys, this take me few days to elaborate according to 40k use of scennery and well i would like to hear your opinion (and complete rules where not clear) This was taken from Warhammer fantasy random terrain chart and modified to wh40k and i tried like 7 times and get good wh40k terrain distribution and effects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Terrain Chart for Warhammer 40.000

Roll 1d3+4 terrain pieces for 6´x4´table / 1d3+3 for 4´x4´

For each terrain piece roll on the Random Terrain Table

Terrains reveal only when the unit enters if area based terrain, or within 3” of the structures or impassable terrains, until that counts as the plain terrain feature, roll 2D6 to see the effect.

Terrain Table 2D6
2 Mysterious Forest
3 Marsh
4 Hill
5 Xeno Structure
6 Ruins: D3-1 Ruins (imperial Sector)
7 Battlefield Structure
8 Imperial Settlement : D3 Ordinary buildings/ruins D6-3 common Obstacles 1 roll in Imperial Sanctuary.
9 Obstacles: three 6” section of
1&2 – Common Obstacle 3 – Razorwire 4- Reinforced Barricade 5- Spiked/Claymore Barricade 6- Dragon tooth defenses
10 Xeno Settlement: D3 Ordinary buildings/ruins 1 roll on Xeno Structure
11 Imperial Sanctuary
12 Warp Structure

Mysterious Forest: (Area Based Terrain)
1- Common forest
2- Death World Forest: The unit inside makes an Initiative Check for a single miniature, if failed the single miniature is taken (counts as destroyed regardless of wounds) and the unit is pinned (unless is immune to pinned effect)
3- Venom thicket: counts as dangerous terrain and the unit inside gets poisoned (4+) in close combat attacks.
4- Misty Forest: units inside have cover save 3+ but must pass a LD check to get out of the forest. (vehicles counts as LD 10)
5- Living Forest: The Forrest is a living animated organism that strike the unit inside D3 hits strength 8, if kill any miniatures moves 2D6 at scatter dice, where hit strikes 1 more time and roll until an arrow is rolled.
6- Twisted and Warped roots and bushes: when the unit inside the forest is hit by shooting attack, the roots attack the unit inside with 2d6 str 5 hits.

Marsh (Area Based Terrain)
1,2,3 – Counts as difficult area terrain for troops and vehicles
4- Healing Slime: any unit with majority of the miniatures inside receive feel no pain special rule.
5- Radioactive Pool: any miniature starting in the pool suffer one hit with 4+
6- Quicksand – count as dangerous terrain and failing would kill any miniature regardless of wounds (no instant death)

Hill (Area Base Terrain)
1- 1-Common Hill
2- 2- Common Hill
3- 3-Common Hill
4- 4-Rough Sierra: The hill counts as Difficult and Dangerous Terrain.
5- 5-Living Forest: The Forrest is a living animated organism that strike the unit inside D3 hits strength 8, if kill any miniatures moves 2D6 at scatter dice, where hit strikes 1 more time and roll until an arrow is rolled.
6- 6- Hill of the Kings: unit starting the turn in the Hill count as fearless as long are in the hill.

Xeno Structure:
1- Ork Totem: Any unit within 6” has Rage and +1 Attack. Orks Get fleet until the end of turn.
2- Necron Obelisk: Any vehicle within 6” could reroll received hits in damage chart. Necron units reroll will be Back as long as are 6” of the obelisk.
3- Tau Empire Listening Post Relay: Any unit within 12” gets acute senses.
4- Tyranid Capilary Tendril: Any unit within 6” nullify any psyker powers with 5+
5- Khaine Statue: Any unit within 6” have preferred enemy until the end of turn.
6- Eldar Waystone: Any unit can Deep strike within 6” without scatter. Eldar and Dark Eldar units that deep strike within 6” can Assault.

Battle Field Structure
1- 1-Nothing
2- 2-Crater
3- 3-1d3 Craters
4- 4- Mine field: Terrain Area counts as Difficult and Dangerous
5- 5- Blessed Bulkward: Crossing it would grant defensive grenades to miniatures not crossing and demons halve their initiative if assaulting through it.
6- 6-Bunker: Counts as Bastion with 14/14/14 with one access door.

Imperial Sanctuary:
1- 1-Heroic Statue: Any unit within 6” is stubborn
2- 2-Aquila Imperialis: Any imperial unit assaulting from Aquila imperialis has +1 attack
3- 3-Inquisitor Statue: Any demon unit must reroll any successful invulnerable save within 6”
4- 4- Ecclesiarch altar: Any unit within 6” could nulify any psyker powers with 5+
5- 5- Space Marine Reliquary: Any imperial unit within 6” have Preferred Enemy Special rule until end of turn.
6- 6-Emperor Shrine: Any no-imperial unit can´t Deep strike within 6”, if fall over the 6” the unit rolls in mishap. Counts as Deep strike Beacon for Imperial forces.

Obstacles
1,2 – Counts as common obstacle
3 – Razorwire: Counts as Dangerous Terrain for troops, Cover save 5+, vehicles just ignore it.
4 – Reinforced Barricade: Improves cover save roll by 1
5 – Spiked Claymore Barricade: Any unit assaulting through suffer 1 hit str 4
6 – Dragon tooth defenses: Counts as impassable for vehicles

Warp Structure
1- Warp Rift: Any unit that finish it turn in the warp rift is removed to reserves and enter automatically the next turn 1,2,3 placed by the opponent 4,5,6 placed by its controller, scatter by deep strike rules.

2- Chaos Circle: any unit within majority to 6” has invulnerable save of 5+

3- Corrupted Statue:
Any unit within 3” can praise 1d3 at movement phase for effect:
1 – Chaos Gaze: the unit receives 1d6 str 3 hits with no armour save, and cannot make any action in his next turn.
2 – Eternal strife: the unit has Rage and Feel no pain for the rest of the game.

3 – Gift of Oblivion: Unit counts as Fearless for the rest of the game

4- Archaotech Engine: any vehicle starting 6” gain “fast” for the rest of the turn

5- Chaos Undivided Shrine, when revealed roll for the effect once.
1 – Warp Instability: No unit can deep strike within 12”, if scatter within area roll for mishap.
2 – Khorne Bloodbath: Non-vehicle units within 6” lose any psyker power and get +1 A until the end of battle.
3 – Tzeench Transmutation: non-vehicle units within 6” lose 1 Toughness and gains + 5 invulnerable until the end of battle.
4- Nurgle Root: non-vehicle units within 6” gain feel no pain (5+) and slow and purposeful.
5- Slanesh Lust: Non-vehicle units within 6” lose any armor save and become fearless
6- Chaos Explosion: when first revealed all units within 6” make a leadership check with 3 dices and remove the number of models with no save. Then no effect.

6- Chaos Portal: Any non-demon unit within 6” receive str 3 hits at the start of the move phase, Any Demon unit could enter like from reserves rather than deep strike.

Visit http://calabozocriollo.foros.ws Venezuela Gaming Forum

Last edited by Luisjoey; 08-18-11 at 08:15 PM. Reason: including the XENO STRUCTURE missed by mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-11, 04:52 PM

the Autarch's Flag is: Ireland

some cool ideas unfortunately i dont have nearly enough terrain to make this table work....

"That's Colonel Crazy Bastard to you,pal"
Col. Colm Corbec, Tanith First-and-Only
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-11, 11:45 PM
Dark Knight

sybarite's Flag is: Australia

you play to much Storm of magic or WFB.

overall there ok some need some fixing or needs a redo example below.

Living Forest: "The Forrest is a living animated organism that strike the unit inside D3 hits strength 8 (armour saves?), if any model in the unit is killed by these attacks, roll a 2D6 at scatter dice that always scatters. The unit moves that distance in inches which can not go though impassable terrain or charge an enemy unit. If a hit is rolled the Forrest deals an extra D3 attacks.

My Chaos Army
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...m/P1060039.jpg you can see them all in the the heresy gallery under WoC
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/gallery
~desu

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-11, 11:47 AM

Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
you play to much Storm of magic or WFB.

overall there ok some need some fixing or needs a redo example below.

Living Forest: "The Forrest is a living animated organism that strike the unit inside D3 hits strength 8 (armour saves?), if any model in the unit is killed by these attacks, roll a 2D6 at scatter dice that always scatters. The unit moves that distance in inches which can not go though impassable terrain or charge an enemy unit. If a hit is rolled the Forrest deals an extra D3 attacks.
A lot of that is similar to stuff from RT times, there were some wicked rules for terrain in there :-)

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-11, 12:16 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I like the idea, and would be good for occasional use I suspect. I cant see using all the time would be good, there is too much randomness for some people.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-11, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

1- I included the XENO structures that were missing by mistake, take note please for your comments.

2- Thanks for your comments

3- Not actually a great wh fantasy fan (but have 3 armies :D) and i liked the random terrain rules, in a game that usually people don´t use them too much because most things are blocking (a brick or a manor house) or are bothering to play with and most players just go around. The rule gave lots of life to the game with this chart.

4- Serious troubles arises about WYSIWYG but i see that you could sacrifice it a bit to get more fun IN-GAME. Imperial Structures are alike in size (statue from inquisitor, space marine, etc) many chaos alike except for the portal and the rift, xeno structures could be pretty different. But in gaming terms could be placed giving more fun and tactical choices during the game.

5- Remember that 40k use lots of scenery, because is mostly a fight in city ruins and destroyed places, more than fight in a plain battlescape like in fantasy, the rule ensures around 30% to 50% of the table covered with some kind of terrain, how is placed depends on the players.

6-
I recomend the following distribution in a 4´x6´table (being 0 pretty empty spaces)

if you roll 5 scenery

if you roll 6 scenery

if you roll 7 scenery

Roll in number order and rearrange in the table with your opponet, try to be the more balanced remember that to start gaming you will roll to get table side by standard rule.

I tried 10 times an always were good and decent tables, pretty balanced for both sides, for being a random table gives good results because i placed the scores according to the frequency of the rolls that is not usual to get double 6 or double 1 (the second being more comon) and the common result goes around 6-8 by mid. in the tables i rolled there wasn´t a single time with warp structures ( ) that´s why they are so strong powered in comparison to other structures.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-11, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I´m perfecting it before doing the flavor text

the Slanesh Lust would be kinda of weird... naked marines! :S

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode