Translations of Warhammer stuff - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Grogbart's Flag is: Germany

Default Translations of Warhammer stuff

Comparing original English Names to those in German translations, I noticed a wild mix of translations, keeping the original English Names, using other Names of English origin and sometimes completely other Names from God knowns where!

Now my Question is, is it the same with other languages?

In German translations, most Names stay the same and many others are more or less translated adequately, but those are not the ones I'm interested in!

It's the Curiosities, such as these German 'translations', I'm interested in:
Dreadnought -> Cybot, Obliberator -> Kyborg
Wyches -> Hagashin, Reavers -> Hyemshin (both are not of German origin!)
Power sword -> Energieschwert, Lighting claws -> Energieklauen, Thunder Hammer -> Energiehammer (Energie... = Energy ...)
BUT Power Armour -> Servorüstung

And my personal favorite 'Sisters of Battle' -> ... (nothing!!!)
They completely avoided translating that term AND don't use the English original term. Their old Codex was (and probably their upcomming will too) called "Codex: Adeptus Sororitas" and a single Sister of Battle is called a 'Sororita'.

Are there similar oddities in other languages as well?

Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 11:37 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogbart View Post
And my personal favorite 'Sisters of Battle' -> ... (nothing!!!)
They completely avoided translating that term AND don't use the English original term. Their old Codex was (and probably their upcomming will too) called "Codex: Adeptus Sororitas" and a single Sister of Battle is called a 'Sororita'.
That one I also noticed while looking through my German version of the 4th edition 40k rule book. (No, I dont speak german, bought it just cause it was the collectors edition and I got it for 15€)

And man, I love the word cybot. So many times in DoW II have I been told "Use your cybot to take out their turrets", and each time I just wtf, before getting it that they are german and dont seem to use the word Dreadnought, lol.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-11, 07:00 PM

Luisjoey's Flag is: Venezuela

i live in venezuela (south america that speaks spanish) and we rather play with english rules because the spain translations are to weird for us to read, specially orks! they changed everything making hard for a player that plays with English codex against a player that use a spanish codex.

For example WEIRDBOY (the psyker) is called EZTRAMBOTICO, that means in ork language EXTRAMBOTIC rather than make a close translation like CHICO LOKO (weird is translated as RARO-rare that means despectively gay or fag in most hispanoamerican countries), for unnused players could be really confusing.

Visit http://calabozocriollo.foros.ws Venezuela Gaming Forum

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-11, 07:36 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

haha, I love this I only speak french as a second language but I haven't seen the codex.

When I was travelling in India I was looking out GW stuff to see what sort of translations there would be, but I just don't think the hobby has made it that far yet and most of India speaks English to a pretty high standard anyway
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-11, 07:38 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisjoey View Post
i live in venezuela (south america that speaks spanish) and we rather play with english rules because the spain translations are to weird for us to read, specially orks! they changed everything making hard for a player that plays with English codex against a player that use a spanish codex.

For example WEIRDBOY (the psyker) is called EZTRAMBOTICO, that means in ork language EXTRAMBOTIC rather than make a close translation like CHICO LOKO (weird is translated as RARO-rare that means despectively gay or fag in most hispanoamerican countries), for unnused players could be really confusing.
so if I was to fully translate weird boy in spanish Id ebasically be saying the fag boy

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-11, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Grogbart's Flag is: Germany

Speaking of weird, reminds me of one thing I often stumble across, when playing in German while having English rules in mind.

I'll skip the translations.
In German rules, saving throws in general are called 'conservation throws'.
Armour saves are 'amour throws' and cover saves are 'cover throws'.
And now it comes, invulnerable saves are called saving throws!!!
A baseless switch-around for no particular reason, as there is no shortage in the German language that wouldn't have allowed these four term to be translated literally.

Another thing I constantly have to giggle about is Terminators with lightning claws.
I don't exactly know it, but I presume it's common in other languages too, to shorten certain names, descriptions and so on, like in this case, calling the above Claw-Termies (at least in Germany we do). Termies are the same in German, the problem is claws in German are "Klauen", which if spoken fast, sounds pretty much exactly like clown (both in English and German)!
So every time someone says: "these are my claw-termies" in German, I can't help but imagine a really colorful Space Marine Terminator with over-sized shoes and a big red nose, juggling some melta-bombs while sitting on a unicycle!

Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-11, 05:31 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogbart View Post
Speaking of weird, reminds me of one thing I often stumble across, when playing in German while having English rules in mind.

I'll skip the translations.
In German rules, saving throws in general are called 'conservation throws'.
Armour saves are 'amour throws' and cover saves are 'cover throws'.
And now it comes, invulnerable saves are called saving throws!!!
A baseless switch-around for no particular reason, as there is no shortage in the German language that wouldn't have allowed these four term to be translated literally.

Another thing I constantly have to giggle about is Terminators with lightning claws.
I don't exactly know it, but I presume it's common in other languages too, to shorten certain names, descriptions and so on, like in this case, calling the above Claw-Termies (at least in Germany we do). Termies are the same in German, the problem is claws in German are "Klauen", which if spoken fast, sounds pretty much exactly like clown (both in English and German)!
So every time someone says: "these are my claw-termies" in German, I can't help but imagine a really colorful Space Marine Terminator with over-sized shoes and a big red nose, juggling some melta-bombs while sitting on a unicycle!
Thats an odd thing to picture, So who wants to make the conversion of that come one I know someone here wants to...

Everyone reading this thread is now wondering to accoplish such a feat, the seed of heresy has been planted Excellent...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode