Convince me! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Convince me!

Well, since the warmachine bug has returned to me with a vengeance, and the fact that the rules of the system are (IMO only, this is not the focus of this thread) superior than those of 40k. The thing is, that I love the 40k universe too much to cut it off entirely, but I thought a fresh start may help.

I am going to be selling off the various marines I have, as well as my guard army to make room and (hopefully) procure enough funds for a new army.

Long story short, I want to remain in the 40k universe, but with a new army. I attend tournaments, but am not one of those ultra-competitive gamers. What army should I choose that fits the bill, and why? Please suggest an army that isn't one of the following (as I have tried them already): necrons, codex marines, templars, guard.

I am happy with both ranged and melee armies, but am a slow painter, so I am a bit hesitant to start orks (orcs?) or 'nids, but am not totally against them.

PS: I usually play at the 1500 point bracket, so if you suggest an army, a solid list would also be appreciated (and I may choose to expand from that point).

I place my fate (or at least, the fate of my wallet) in your hands, Heresy!

Quote:
Remember to use the BRB not the SRB from black reach... makes for a much better implement of physical enlightenment through repeated smacking on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
Ah... the simpler times of the 1960's. When pedophilia wasn't frowned upon.
“Thou shalt not invite a Banshee to Karaoke”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 10:58 PM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Chaos Marines, Eldar or Tau would all make good choices as each is fairly competitive (regardless of what a lot of people say, any army is competitive if used right). The first two have the added bonus of offering various paint schemes all within the same army so take your pick.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 11:27 PM

Maidel's Flag is: England

Well if you are a slow painter, might I suggest grey knights? very low model count there.

To prevent any 'misunderstandings' if I post IN ORANGE then I am joking.
Thank you

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 11:33 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Death Guard, duh All the armoured hardware you could ever want, with a generous helping of Father Nurgle's gifts to add variety for conversion purposes. Plus they kick arse on the table, fit into just about every army list going, and aren't a bunch of snivelling worshippers of a mouldering corpse

Vote Nurgle. You know it makes sense.

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

The idea of a chaos army is definitely a possibility, since they allow for the creation of an army that is full of character. On the other hand, I have played marine armies in the past. Keep the suggestions coming!

PS: I had been considering grey knights, but the fact that 80% of the minis is silver is rather uninspiring

Quote:
Remember to use the BRB not the SRB from black reach... makes for a much better implement of physical enlightenment through repeated smacking on the head.
Quote:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-11, 12:02 AM

C'Tan Chimera's Flag is: USA

Tau, man. You got a lot of colorful, diverse units with a refreshing change of pace of gameplay while still remaining competitive.

And no, I don't just say that as a Tau fantard.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-11, 03:19 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfly View Post
The idea of a chaos army is definitely a possibility, since they allow for the creation of an army that is full of character. On the other hand, I have played marine armies in the past. Keep the suggestions coming!

PS: I had been considering grey knights, but the fact that 80% of the minis is silver is rather uninspiring
They can be Crazy Color Knights if you want. You can go with whatever paint scheme you want, just use the GK codex.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-11, 03:37 AM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfly View Post

GW themselves have done non-grey Grey Knights. Red Grey Knights and Black Grey Knights if i recall correctly. I even have physical proof.

SGMAlice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-11, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Good suggestions guys, keep 'em coming!

I was browsing the GW webshop and decided that I quite like the Iron Warriors. I know that they technically don't exist as a faction anymore, but I came up with this: What if I converted all the separate units (noise marines, khorne berzerkers, etc) to look like their particular characteristics come from the modified armour they wear? I hope I am correct in assuming the Iron Warriors use all kinds of tech, at least based on the fluff?

Quote:
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode