Pre-painted (colored)/Pre-assembled figures. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

View Poll Results: Do you think a secondary line is a good idea.
I like the idea, and would buy it. 11 17.74%
The idea has merit, but I wouldn't buy it. 13 20.97%
This idea should never come to pass. 38 61.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Default Pre-painted (colored)/Pre-assembled figures.

There are many, like myself, in the hobby who prefer the game side to the modeling and painting side.

My question though is would you support a secondary line of WHFB (and 40k) figurines that were pre-painted and either one-sculpt, or minimal assembly required. A line that would basically be quick from the box to the table.

Some notes.
This line does not need to be of the same level of detail quality as the standard version. This is similar to how the Standard Stompa is of a much different level of quality from the Forgeworld stompa. A lower level of quality would be fine if doing so helps keep the price of a pre-painted line comparable to that of the standard line.

This picture shows an example of the level of quality that would be acceptable for this line of miniatures.

Also, these models are not meant for those who want to model and paint on their own. That is not the point of them at all. They are for people who want minimal time before they can simply use it on the table top, and still have a "painted" army.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 01:23 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I guess it has it's merits but I know in my case the painting and modeling is the main reason I have started this hobby. Want to say it is most likely to pricy to pull off for GW also. I know D&D stopped doing their mini line because of cost issues.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 01:45 AM

Nave Senrag's Flag is: USA

Well, I would be all for a pre-painted line of models, but what you have shown is colored plastic. If that costs much more than standard models, I shudder to think about how expensive real pre-painted models would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Yup, that sounds about right. The only faction who are a bigger bunch of backstabbers than the Imperium are the Eldar (and this is debatable as the Eldar only stab OTHER factions in the back).

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 01:50 AM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

In a way I think they tried this with Space Crusade and Space-Hulk being pre-colored plastic.

However It's just too dangerous IMO as you run the risk of cost-cutting mentality - Parents tend to look at the price tag of things rather than miniature quality - which would have the kids (which GW rely upon) getting lower detail line as it would be cheaper. Eventually it could be selling better than the detailed line - so why would GW then bother with the detailed line?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave Senrag View Post
Well, I would be all for a pre-painted line of models, but what you have shown is colored plastic. If that costs much more than standard models, I shudder to think about how expensive real pre-painted models would be.
Actually, what I showed was a picture that demonstrates the level of detail in the model that I would find acceptable for the line. It has nothing to do with the painting/coloring of the model.

My apologies if you got that impression.

But a "colored plastic" model (with an actual color scheme, not just single colored like board game pieces) would be acceptable.

This is a shot of something that came off of a color 3d printer. When I mention "Colored Plastic" this is what I mean, not things like risk pieces.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 03:36 AM
Dark Knight

sybarite's Flag is: Australia

sounds like an ok idea for thoese who hate painting and ebay.

l would never buy them though as it would look bland with other people's.

My Chaos Army
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...m/P1060039.jpg you can see them all in the the heresy gallery under WoC
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/gallery
~desu
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonschwine View Post
In a way I think they tried this with Space Crusade and Space-Hulk being pre-colored plastic.

However It's just too dangerous IMO as you run the risk of cost-cutting mentality - Parents tend to look at the price tag of things rather than miniature quality - which would have the kids (which GW rely upon) getting lower detail line as it would be cheaper. Eventually it could be selling better than the detailed line - so why would GW then bother with the detailed line?
My thought is that this line would end up being about the same level of price as the GW standard line.

This is why I suggest the pre-painteds be a lower quality sculpt which (hopefully) would make up the price difference between the two.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 03:41 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

The issue i have with this idea is that it's already hard enough to find opponents who want to add a modicum of variety to their models and colour scheme and by releaseing cheap prepainted armies you'll just be tailoring to that lazy mindset. I find the painting to be the least enjoyable part of the hobby but at the same time i continue with it because having a good looking, unique force on the tabletop is incredibly rewarding for me.
What i don't want is to discover that everytime i fight space marines i'm going to be against ultramarines because people can't be bothered to come up with an interesting scheme themselves and just picked up the prepainted pack. It's bad enough trying to find someone with a unique army anyway.
Why should the people who can't be bothered to put the time in have even a half decently painted army?

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 01:01 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

No, a significant part of the hobby is the modeling and painting, the games may only last a few hours when friends can meet and play, but the hobby can be done alone with out the need for stacks of space and time, those who dont enjoy painting dont actually have to paint or model, plenty of people will do it for them, either friends who prefer that side of the hobby or professionals who charge, or they can use coloured sprays to paint the army, dip them in the army painter dip and a few details and your done in fraction of the time and more to the point very little effor. But more importantly i dont think i have ever met anyone in this hobby that would want a less detailed model because it was pre-painted, if your in it just to play the game then you would be better off just buying a painted army from the off.
Sometimes things like 40k and other similar games are already prefect as they are, they dont need speeding up or improvements, they just progress nice and slowly and players need to accept the hobby is what it is, if you want to play competative games with prepainted models they are already out there, i couldnt name one ( and that says alot about them) but i know they have or do exist, but 40k and warhammer are how they need to be, we dont need instant armies, people get bored with armies and codexs far too quickly as it is and alot of the long term investment of time and money has already slipped away from the hobby because of people codex flipping to the flavour of the month, dont need the models to become the same.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
No, a significant part of the hobby is the modeling and painting, the games may only last a few hours when friends can meet and play, but the hobby can be done alone with out the need for stacks of space and time, those who dont enjoy painting dont actually have to paint or model, plenty of people will do it for them, either friends who prefer that side of the hobby or professionals who charge, or they can use coloured sprays to paint the army, dip them in the army painter dip and a few details and your done in fraction of the time and more to the point very little effor. But more importantly i dont think i have ever met anyone in this hobby that would want a less detailed model because it was pre-painted, if your in it just to play the game then you would be better off just buying a painted army from the off.
Sometimes things like 40k and other similar games are already prefect as they are, they dont need speeding up or improvements, they just progress nice and slowly and players need to accept the hobby is what it is, if you want to play competative games with prepainted models they are already out there, i couldnt name one ( and that says alot about them) but i know they have or do exist, but 40k and warhammer are how they need to be, we dont need instant armies, people get bored with armies and codexs far too quickly as it is and alot of the long term investment of time and money has already slipped away from the hobby because of people codex flipping to the flavour of the month, dont need the models to become the same.
Translation: Play it my way or not at all.

I figure even if they DO come out with a line like this, against your own objections. There would be Elitist clubs that basically have a "no quick cast" (or whatever the line is called) rule, that way they can keep the game "pure."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode