Wyches - Are they really worth it? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Default Wyches - Are they really worth it?

Maybe i am just not playing this unit right but I find that my wyches hit great but don't cause many wounds and against MEQ armies they just die really quickly.

What are your thoughts on wyches and are they really as good as some people claim? There seems to be mixed emotions on these squads, some love them and some see no use for them at all. Mine just seem to end up as fodder.

I run squads of 10 in a dark lance raider w/ either 2 hydra gauntlets or 2 shardnet and impalers, a hekatrik w/ agoniser (shes great).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 03:05 PM

Akhara'Keth's Flag is: Germany

They are absolutely great! I had really good experience with 9 Wyches, 1x Razorflails and a Hekatrix /w Agoniser in a Raider. then you take a HAemonculus /w Liquifier gun and put him in the Wych squad. Now they already have a pain token and FnP! As soon as the Wyches leave the raider, the haemo stays in the raider and leaves his pain token with the wyches. Now they have a 4+ Invul save and FnP! Extremely hard hitting and they can take a lot of damage.

Check out my German 40k Blog!!

http://tausend-tore.blogspot.de/
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thats a very good strategy only problem i see is you can only do that with 1 squad or 2 max and i like running an archon with incubi. so what happens is you have one wyche squad thats good but what about the others? not worth it? or should i run 2 haemo and drop the archon?

Stupid question; if you take 3 haemo's as an hq, do they have to run together or can you split them up?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 03:23 PM

Some swear by them, others do not.

Wyches are a cheap combat unit with a high survivablity rating against power attacks of all forms, something that's actually pretty rare.
They pack the options to further better against all targets. Haywires for Vehicles, Wych weapons for Infantry and Hekatrix' with power weapon options.

However, on the army level, Kabalite players will argue that the Venom is be far supieror to the Raider. Tournements prove this, as the Venom spam is now one of the most competitive lists out there.

This means that the more streamlined armies tend to pick either Wyches OR Warriors. Each has its benefits and each has its fall downs.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 03:36 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Also note that as you badly want the FNP on the Wyches, tossing a Chronos Parasite Engine into your army helps immensely.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 03:40 PM

Akhara'Keth's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Also note that as you badly want the FNP on the Wyches, tossing a Chronos Parasite Engine into your army helps immensely.
Not really. The Cronos is too slow to keep up with the wyches and give them a token fast. I'd recommend a Haemonculus.

Check out my German 40k Blog!!

http://tausend-tore.blogspot.de/
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 03:48 PM

Luisjoey's Flag is: Venezuela

They are excellent meta-game wise, because they are cheap, they have invulnerable 4+, they are troops and could score, and give lots of hits! maybe you need more tactic taking them with small units first to ensure the soul token and then go for higher units.

to me, wyches and incubii are my favorite units!

they used to be "meh" but now they "rules"

Visit http://calabozocriollo.foros.ws Venezuela Gaming Forum

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhara'Keth View Post
Not really. The Cronos is too slow to keep up with the wyches and give them a token fast. I'd recommend a Haemonculus.
take the portal upgrade, the haemon can take it whilst leading the squad. also, he can fire it whilst on a transport allowing for next turn use
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 06:12 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Yes, the Cronos is decidedly slower and the Haemonculus is the better initial option, but the Cronos should survive to get close enough and tactics other than trying to get the Wyches to charge in the first round do exist

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 07:34 PM

Luisjoey's Flag is: Venezuela

I do use an archon with some wiches over a raider, move and then put the portal so the others wyches would enter! good strategy since wyches have fleet!

Visit http://calabozocriollo.foros.ws Venezuela Gaming Forum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode