The Dark Angels Corner - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-12, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
HOBO's Avatar
HOBO's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,407
Reputation: 1
Default

Good idea of a Thread for DA, alhough I only play 'pure' Death Wing which doesn't get a whole lotta love here....all that RW Land Speeder/Vindicator/Predator inclusion going on. I understand why that is done, but there's no way I'm buying into it - 'pure' for life.

Looking forward to all that this thread produces...The Dark Fortress looks good.
HOBO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
VX485's Avatar
VX485's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 359
Reputation: 1
Default

Will be keeping an eye on this, my first army was DA, they have been on the back burner for awhile but i knoe when they get a new dex i'll be adding a heap to them - not far off having a whole company
VX485 is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
thefallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 128
Reputation: 2
I got into DA back in 2nd ed. They were my first, and still favorite army.
I was wondering what people think about the fluff dynamic of the fallen angels. Who do you think were the real good guys? Fallen angels or ”loyalist” dark angels.
The heresy books paint the lion in a questionable light. The fluff of the fallen angel confessions point the finger at the lion as a heretic. are they lies of a condemned man or eye witness accounts?
What do you think?
Im leading twards a little bit of both. The fallen were bordering on being renegade, but they were ”knight of the order” as such honorable men. Though they didnt like the fact that the empire showing up and taking over. Messing up 5k years of tradition.
It is also a little suspect that the lion got ”stuck” in the warp. Preventing his urgently needed aid to the emperor.

A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forget, never forgive.
It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I will save your soul, even if you die in the process.
thefallen is offline  
 
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
darklove's Avatar
darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,648
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallen View Post
I got into DA back in 2nd ed. They were my first, and still favorite army.
I was wondering what people think about the fluff dynamic of the fallen angels. Who do you think were the real good guys? Fallen angels or ”loyalist” dark angels.
The heresy books paint the lion in a questionable light. The fluff of the fallen angel confessions point the finger at the lion as a heretic. are they lies of a condemned man or eye witness accounts?
What do you think?
Im leading twards a little bit of both. The fallen were bordering on being renegade, but they were ”knight of the order” as such honorable men. Though they didnt like the fact that the empire showing up and taking over. Messing up 5k years of tradition.
It is also a little suspect that the lion got ”stuck” in the warp. Preventing his urgently needed aid to the emperor.
I'm not one to shatter illusions, but you shouldn't ask questions you might not want the answers to.

GW have not deviated in any way from the background material from when Dark Angels first appeared. The homage to the source material has not been disputed, and continues to have a subliminal impact on the story ark of this Chapter.

I'm not allowed to say more on it in this thread; some people truly venerate DA and I don't want to upset anyone.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
darklove is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Caratacos's Avatar
Caratacos's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 275
Reputation: 2
Default

That discussion is already afoot in the fluff section: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=105904 It is heavy on spoilers.

As for an army, I have a tri-wing army which is about 6-7k large. Most often I do field tri-wing, because I like it th most. My favourite HQ is Azrael. I usually field him together with nine or ten stormbolter armed veterans.
Caratacos is offline  
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-12, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
thefallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 128
Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caratacos View Post
That discussion is already afoot in the fluff section: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=105904 It is heavy on spoilers.

As for an army, I have a tri-wing army which is about 6-7k large. Most often I do field tri-wing, because I like it th most. My favourite HQ is Azrael. I usually field him together with nine or ten stormbolter armed veterans.
Good link, thanks. Its a great reference point to my questions.. But its more of a recap of fluff relating to the ”fall of caliban”.
Im sorry that I thought this thread was about dark angels related stuff. I missed the part where we only say if we like em or not and how many toys we have.
@ darklove if people cant handle a question of opinion, relating to a factious background story for toy soldiers. They seriously need to go back to the doctor for some stronger psyke meds. Im just trying to add some content to the thred.

A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forget, never forgive.
It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I will save your soul, even if you die in the process.
thefallen is offline  
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-12, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
darklove's Avatar
darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,648
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallen View Post
@ darklove if people cant handle a question of opinion, relating to a factious background story for toy soldiers. They seriously need to go back to the doctor for some stronger psyke meds. Im just trying to add some content to the thred.
I meant the inspiration for the creation of the Dark Angels and Lion El'Jonson. Some people don't like it, and it puts them off.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
darklove is offline  
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-12, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Caratacos's Avatar
Caratacos's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 275
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallen View Post
Good link, thanks. Its a great reference point to my questions.. But its more of a recap of fluff relating to the ”fall of caliban”.
Im sorry that I thought this thread was about dark angels related stuff. I missed the part where we only say if we like em or not and how many toys we have.
True that. I misread your post a bit.

In my world it is very hard to make a stand.

In the beginning we had the first loyalist legion. When the Fallen took a stand, they became something else. Most probably under the influence of chaos. In my eyes they became something like unhappy separatists.

The remaining loyalists turned into something else as well. They are still true to the Emperor, but their motives are clouded. They leave their fellow imperial troops in trouble, just to set out on a hunt for the Fallen. There are even indications of them destroying a Black Templar ship.

So I really can't say who I see as the good guys.

The motives of the Fallen, Caliban born Dark Angels, were pretty just I think. They would have been much better left on their own. But still, seen from an imperial point of view, Caliban was a human world, belonging to the world of the Emperor.

And since the Fallen took a stand against the Lion and the Imperium, the Loyalists were right in their actions, when it came to destroying the Fallen. But what they became afterwards is a question of doubt. Much like Astellan points out they are far from what they once were.

And I play Dark Angels, but I have a hard time liking their ways. I really do like the miniatures, the colour scheme, the whole "tri-wing" thing. But in truth, I'd like a more noble, honourable and glorious chapter.

I hope this was a little bit more of what you were asking for
Caratacos is offline  
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-12, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Jace of Ultramar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 3,868
Reputation: 22
Default

Well, this thread is becoming more interesting as it goes along. I look forward to seeing how everything develops, especially since I picked up DA as a back burner Chapter last December.
Jace of Ultramar is offline  
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-12, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 159
Reputation: 1
Default

I believe the fallen have been convinced by the Chaos Gods that they are doing the right thing. My thing is the fact of, only chaos space marines can live for 10,000 years right? Using the powers of the warp, blah blah blah. Anyways I haven't read all of the novel stuff, but that one fact makes me believe that the fallen have become Chaos on accident (which has happened quite a lot).

On a personal note I also like to go back to older fluff, prefering it over a lot of the more recent stuff. I have a personal reason to also believe that the fallen did actually go to Chaos, thanks to earlier fluff, just as I will always see the necrons fluff personally in the light of their 3rd edition codex, not the more recent one.

Everything I've ever done comes down to the roll of this one dice... and it was a 1
Izzleydill is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome