Why are Rhinos crap? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Trigger's Flag is: England

Default Why are Rhinos crap?

Why?
They are designed to carry the Emporers finest into battle, yet a planetery PDF would get a better armed and armoured transport. They aren't fast, and carry less troops. Cheap and cheerful, OK, but crap.
My question is; Should Space Marines get the option of a better transport?
What should it be?

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 12:55 PM

i think rhinos are awesome. but i would prefer a different transport maybe more armored, 1 hatch to get out of.

1 speeder transport ect ect
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 01:09 PM

Zeldrin's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally, I don't think they should get another transport (and I do play them). It is one of few weaknesses present in the marine list. Even then, a rhino for 35 points basic; hell, you would pay more for a skoda to transport your marines in. Mobile coffin or not, it is great value. They already have one of the best non dedicated transport in the game (landraider) and you can't get much tougher than that. An intermdiate option would be nice (if you play them) but would make them way too hard to beat.

Zeldrin

"Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 01:29 PM

..cough, cough, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, cough cough...

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 02:08 PM

Rindaris's Flag is: USA

You have to see things as being relative.

Rhinos arn't crap. Not logically anyways... in play.. .sure.. .but in logic, no.

Marines are BIG. Its why some people do Truescale conversions. So when you consider that a rhino can hold 10 of these supermen with all their gear.. thats ALOT of space.

Also have to consider that weaponry seems to have kept up with the ages better then armor has. So while the rhino is a tough little tank... all those weapons on the battlefield are tougher.

Currently I don't field any rhinos... cause I play a shooty marine army.. and just don't find them that useful... so I know what you mean.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 02:10 PM

fluff wise they should all be in land raiders why would you put your best most expensive troops in something cheep.

for cheep bulk transport give tot he guard.

game wise they are fine.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Trigger's Flag is: England

Yeah, I'm sure I started this in 40K fluff. Surely I'm not that stupid? (don't answer that) I will blame that on the computer (can't stick up for itself)
Thats why this is in fluff, they work OK in game terms, and marines don't need anything more powerful in a game. But come on . These are the Elite of the Imperium, the creme de la creme, and they ride around in a cardboard box on tracks. Why wouldn't the Imperium update and improve the Rhino. The Mechanicus do it with Leman Russ variants.

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 05:50 PM

revenant13's Flag is: USA

money? power? who knows, ever since the Emperor was attatched to the golden throne the imperium has been ruled by power hungry and greedy people, who would do anything for an extra buck or 2. Granted I dont know if its the same case with mars, but at this point in time it wouldnt be difficult to influence a few people. that and they have lost a lot of STC templates and so cant really make anything better. and itd be way too expensive to make land raiders en masse.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 06:01 PM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Why?
They are designed to carry the Emporers finest into battle, yet a planetery PDF would get a better armed and armoured transport. They aren't fast, and carry less troops. Cheap and cheerful, OK, but crap.
My question is; Should Space Marines get the option of a better transport?
What should it be?
Yah man, if only Space Marines had some sort of transport that could carry them safely to any part of the board without fear of being shot prior to arriving and didn't have to worry about being randomly destroyed by enroaching on enemy territory and was so cool if could even carry vehicles... wouldn't that be sweet...

Pondering...
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-08, 06:46 PM

neilbatte's Flag is: Great Britain

its more about tradition i think the marines haven't changed much since the emporers times so why would they have different vehicles whereas the guard are not as strict what the munitorium give they get so although the stcs dont change some level of innovation can be expected to deal with different situations to aid survival marines don't need innovation how they react to different situations is laid out in codex astartes and determined by roboute gulliman. added to this the fact that marines are super human and have exeptional armour in the fluff able to withstand most weaponry why would they need the extra armour on their self repairing tanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode