Meeting up for a game - Tips to stay safe - Page 14 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 09:56 PM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

suddenly i am alot more grateful that i live in Ontario, canada. one of the nicest places in the world. other gamers at my local GW say hi to people they dont even know.

btw the sword thing was pretty stupid. i always go to a GW with a friend, not because im paranoid of getting mugged or attacked or something, but because it would be pretty lame going alone.

i actuallly was waiting for my ride with 2 of my friends and a man and a woman came over to admire our painting work on my trygon and my friends tanks. they were like "that looks so cool, i wish i could paint that good" i was like wow these people are almost too nice i mean who just walks up to someone and compliments them out of the bllue???? 0.o
toronto is so damn friendly its scary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 10:45 PM

StalkerZero's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightkid333 View Post
suddenly i am alot more grateful that i live in Ontario, canada. one of the nicest places in the world. other gamers at my local GW say hi to people they dont even know.

btw the sword thing was pretty stupid. i always go to a GW with a friend, not because im paranoid of getting mugged or attacked or something, but because it would be pretty lame going alone.

i actuallly was waiting for my ride with 2 of my friends and a man and a woman came over to admire our painting work on my trygon and my friends tanks. they were like "that looks so cool, i wish i could paint that good" i was like wow these people are almost too nice i mean who just walks up to someone and compliments them out of the bllue???? 0.o
toronto is so damn friendly its scary
In America they would've been waiting outside to mug you for them and your wallet.

Being safe is one thing. Being overly paranoid (like some of this thread is) is another.

Really it's just like a blind date - do it somewhere public or be prepared to wake up in a tub in a motel room full of ice with a letter on your chest that says call 9-1-1.

Deep gratitude to Varakir for the signature.
post #133 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 11:54 PM

Arkanor's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
this really is turning into an american vs english debate.

end of the day and with no offence intended, you guys have a gun culture and the idea of not taking a gun somewhere with you is so alien you can't see any other point of view. Whereas being english the idea of taking a gun anywhere with me seems alien and I won't agree with any other point of view.
Err, very few people in the US as a % of population actually have concealed carry permits, and some of those aren't even used to carry weapons all the time. Lots of people here are afraid of guns.

I'm getting a CCP this year and I don't think I would CC to a private game, it would feel wrong in someone else's house (and honestly, I live in Maine, it's fairly safe). But I wouldn't likely go to someone's house before actually meeting them somewhere public first, it's just common sense.

At any rate when you CC no one should even be able to tell the difference. Otherwise it's not too well "concealed" now is it?

post #134 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 11:55 PM

777swappamag777's Flag is: USA

It makes sense, but what ever you do if you don't feel comfortable don't let them talk you in to staying

Last edited by Viscount Vash; 07-16-11 at 07:35 PM.
post #135 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 11:56 PM

o one or two more things wait dang i forgot
post #136 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-11, 11:57 PM

i remember wait o no i dont sorry
post #137 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 06:50 AM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

Hmm, in my experience a knife is not a defensive weapon and will do nothing to protect you from getting ganked, unless you happen to be carrying it when they try something. It's much better to have a bottle of pepper spray or a taser.

When you get to the house, look around for obvious warning signs like:
Leather whips
Chains or manacles fastened to the wall
Screams for help coming from the basement
The guy meets you at the door wearing a head to toe suit of latex rubber
The overpowering smell of bodily fluids
A sign on the front porch saying "Beware of Gimp"

On second thought, I'd never go to a stranger's house for a first meeting. It's just not a proper thing to do.
post #138 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 06:54 AM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
still cannot agree that a game of warhammer is worth taking a gun anywhere...period!
Unless you happen to live in West Texas. We all carry guns.

That's sort of a joke. Texans do tend to carry in their vehicles, but not on their persons. I would not open my door if a little known gamer showed up to my house and had a handgun or large knife on them.

It's best policy to find out as much about people as possible by meeting them at a gaming store or well known gaming club meeting. Find out 1. their age, 2. if they live alone or with family, 3. if they have a criminal record (esp for felony rape or murder or assault). Then, once you know them pretty well and get along, maybe arange to have a game at someone's house. But, if I were you, I'd make sure there are several people there, including someone you trust. Not that you are going to get mugged or raped or anything, but in case something like an argument insues or there's a domestic dispute in the house. You have a witness and someone on your side. Always be ready to leave. If the resident of the house becomes agitated or starts a fight with a gamer or maybe one of his family members, be ready to pack up and get out.

Last edited by jaysen; 07-16-11 at 07:04 AM.
post #139 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 03:13 PM
Putrifectus's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysen View Post

When you get to the house, look around for obvious warning signs like:
Leather whips
Chains or manacles fastened to the wall
Screams for help coming from the basement
The guy meets you at the door wearing a head to toe suit of latex rubber
The overpowering smell of bodily fluids
A sign on the front porch saying "Beware of Gimp"
I just realized that most people would be kind of nervous at my place. Not as bad as what you described, but a couple of whips, a few pairs of handcuffs, ropes and chains, and stuff like that..
And a necromantic altar to the lord of death, covered in bones, and a big trident and a schyte behind it.
I don't think I should ever invite strangers for a game here.

-
post #140 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-11, 02:38 AM

stranger danger!!!!!!!

!!!!!TZEENTCH FOR THE WIN!!!!!

Click my Tzeentch army!!!!!!! OR IT WILL BURN YOU

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode