Meeting up for a game - Tips to stay safe - Page 13 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 01:36 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Still cannot agree that a game of warhammer is worth taking a gun anywhere...period!
You don't bring it for the game, you bring it for the other bastards with guns. In the US people have guns, and in some areas people tend to use them on other people more often than they should. It is prudent to have a way of defending yourself other than harsh language and nasty looks.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 01:57 PM
The voices told me to....

Hudson's Flag is: England

to be honest it's still wrong to guide someone to take a gun to a game, if your that unsure of the person you will be playing against that you need any type of weapon how is it worth playing?

the thread is meeting up - how to stay safe. the whole getting there safely is another issue entirely which yea different countries have different safety nets i.e "i need a gun to feel safe" or "i need a samurai sword to feel safe" etc etc

but in essence IF you need to take a weapon and the reason for that is a trip to play a game then the game isn't worth it. your basically saying I would risk my life for a game of warhammer if your point is that you need a gun for that to happen. Without the game there would be no gun thus no potential violence thus no potential hospital trip.

Your telling me that everyone in a warhammer shop (kids/adults/workers) are all packing? Can't believe that and if it is true i'm damn glad not to live there

post #123 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 02:08 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

I doubt any would be packing. Statistically, you have a very small chance of ever needing to use one, but in some areas it is good to have a backup. You don't need one, but it can be a good idea to have one you can depend on in a bad situation.

You risk your life going to work in the morning or going to the game store, every time you walk outside or get out of bed you are incurring some degree of danger. I am simply suggesting that, if you do happen to have to go through a bad area, maybe you should take some precaution if it is legal for you to do so and you have the propped training to preform the action.

However, obviously you should not actually bring it into a game store, or at least I wouldn't. If people know you are packing it can make everyone nervous and that isnt good; you don't want to scare people.

If the thread is about meeting up safely than I should think getting their safely would also come into play.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 03-29-11 at 02:11 PM.

post #124 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 02:21 PM

I do agree that there are levels of danger in daily life but chosing to add danger is what i disagree with. You have risk driving to work but you reduce your danger by wearing a seat belt. You risk danger meeting someone new you reduce risk by being careful you increase risk by bringing a weapon.

end of the day we're not going to agree over this we're in very different environments but I for one will not recommend anyone to take a weapon to a game. What they do generally in their day-to-day life is up to them but the reason for this thread is for guidance and I feel "guiding" someone to carry a weapon is very irresponsible. Much better to recommend precausions like others have suggested, i.e regular check ins, meeting in a safe place, meeting in a well known place, neutral place etc.

Yes it's a dangerous world out there granted but adding more weapons will never fix that.

I mean come on say someone came on here next week having shot someone who they thought was going to hurt them (whether they were or not isn't my point) and they have to go to court etc. Would you really feel comfortable knowing that your advice has led them to carry a weapon? Or would you prefer to know that you advised everything possible for them to stay safe meeting someone new without having to be armed.

As a comparrison it's kinda like saying to a new school starter "best take your pistol, them little brats are trouble" for their first day of school as they don't know anyone and there are risks.

knife crime here in the UK is getting worse and then it builds by people taking this attitude of well if they're armed i'm gunna arm up so I can protect myself - it becomes a worse situation than the beginning....

anyway rant over

my opinion if it's that risky and you need a weapon, don't play, go to a gaming club or something like that. Do anything you can to relieve the risk that does not involve being armed or putting yourself at an increased level of danger than you are comfortable with.

but each to their own i guess

post #125 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 03:21 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

Honestly, I wouldn't have any feelings on the matter. It was their choice, I simply provided them with an option.

Though, this goes back to my "only if you have the proper training" bit.

post #126 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 06:30 PM

Chaos40kAD's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't have any feelings on the matter. It was their choice, I simply provided them with an option.

Though, this goes back to my "only if you have the proper training" bit.
Or you know.. If you're Chuck Norris, or Robocop!

-Brett
post #127 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 11:17 PM

I was just thinking about getting back into the game when I saw the thread and saw someone saying you should take a gun for protection. I had to chime in.

Personally, I am always armed because life and death situations don't wait for me to go home and set the time and place of the dual. This extends to going to Warhammer games, the grocery store, and taking my dog for a walk. I don't seek trouble and if I thought going to a Warhammer game that someone online invited me to was riskier than I'm comfortable with, I wouldn't go. However, if I do go, I will be carrying.
post #128 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-11, 12:42 AM

Hoo boy, guess who has several "less than" signs and didn't think that saying that doing something as blatantly obvious as being prepared to defend yourself would cause such a shitstorm?

<<<<<

It boggles the mind that there's so much resistance to the concept of bringing a gun to meet a person you literally know virtually nothing about. I can't make you guys do anything, just like all your clamoring about "the world's a dangerous place and you're not Robocop" is falling on deaf ears. But, I'm going to be intelligent and bring a weapon if I ever decide to meet a guy that I don't know in person, and the odds of a violent crime being performed on me will go down, drastically.

You'd think aficionados of a wargame would have less of a knee-jerk reaction against a single syllable than you guys did. Guess it takes all kinds.
post #129 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-11, 07:49 AM

this really is turning into an american vs english debate.

end of the day and with no offence intended, you guys have a gun culture and the idea of not taking a gun somewhere with you is so alien you can't see any other point of view. Whereas being english the idea of taking a gun anywhere with me seems alien and I won't agree with any other point of view.

Pretty nulled opinions

in response to your post killroy, we do have a responsibility here, and posting anything anywhere can cause problems (even if it's "oh this is the real rule") you have to be careful what you say to people and be fully prepared to accept responsibility of any reprocussions to your advice.

post #130 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 09:40 PM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Russ View Post

"Dont listen to that noise, come to MY gaming house.... The walls are made of gingerbread and 40k sprues!

What's the cage for you say?

Oh, that's for my invisible pet dinosaur!

He's really friendly actually, why don't I just let you in there so you can pet him...."

lmao thats jokes, how young are some gamers anyway??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode