Votes: 5 31.3%
  • What why did no one tell me of this embargo

Votes: 1 6.3%

Aussie Gamers

1K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  chromedog 
#1 ·
Are you guys fed up with GW?

#3 ·
This should not only apply to Australians, but no, I am not annoyed with them. I am very apathic when it comes to politics. I like their product - I buy it. They treat their customers like crap, I don't care, because their miniatures make me happy at the end of the day, and as long as they keep supplying us with these "toys" I'm going to keep buying them :).

#4 ·
I'm a bit peeved, but my 3 GW armies are basically finished so they won't be seeing anymore of my money regardless of the issues that have come up in the past week. What they will be missing out on is the thousands of Dollars from many of the other Gamers I know, who have already placed Orders with other companies instead of starting new GW armies...some of them do need to finish already started GW armies though, to 2K or whatever, but there's not much they can do about that.

#5 · (Edited)
Nope.
More of a "Son, I am disappoint" meme though.

I've already stopped buying their stuff - with three armies at over 5000pts already, I have what I need and I can scratchbuild what I don't have (I have templates for various vehicles and plenty of plasticard and time.). Besides, my IG army is 75% other miniatures from other companies (especially the tanks).

I don't play in a GW store (my club is in a licensed sports club. We have beer, GW doesn't. We aren't surrounded by squealing munchkins, GW is).
Several of us in the club are "veterans" who don't spend that much per year on GW.
The noobs who get new army on new army are the target market - and in my area, the parents are tightening their purse strings. Many of those new armies of the month come after the old one has been sold off to pay for the new one.

#6 ·
Utter crap. For what liitle coin I do have, I do not think it wise to be shelling out around $50 for a Chimera, when I could get two of them from a place like Maelstrom for the same price.

I think that the new trade law is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back for GW.

#7 ·
As a long term GW player (87) I am confused by them rather than upset. If anything I am rather worried its affect on the gaming hobby in Oz for a few reasons.

1). We have a small gaming population already spread out across a continent the size of the US. Gaming for us is not a hey lets go here and play.... or I will meet you next month down in London or Dublin or whatever. Hobo and I live about a 5 hour plane ride from each other, and although we communicate on here or comment about each others armies etc... unless he or I traveled for a specific event once a year... it is unlikely that I would meet him.

What does this have to do with GW price? If enough of the already small gamer population in your area are fed up with GW... then your taken along with them. I am lucky enough to be older and have built 90% of my armies to completion. I am more interested in the hobby and gaming that collecting and building now... but a lot of my friends and regular opponents are not in that position so it may make them stop or change their focus, which for me... means less GW game opponents from that depleted population of gamers.

2). Nobody here in Oz is a fan of GW gaming centres etc as they have pushed the veteran market and veterans away. I visit the flagship supposedly CBD sydney store monthly... they know me by name and they know I can spend the cash... but they have nothing and NO catering toward a veteran gamer. They could easily have introduced me to a group or people or even designated one evening as Veteran night.... and got us all together to play etc. Good Games in Sydney do a similair thing on a Saturday and so do a few others... but again its fractured due to distance... spending an hour in the car to go game somewhere on a friday night every week just is beyond some Vets with family etc after work.... (I feel that way most weekends!). The GW sydney sites are all about get you in sell you something and piss off please.... or its full of 20 something non buyers who seem to love to paint at GW but I dont know if they paint and play there and even if they do its not a hey veterans welcome sign out the front.

3). GW are awful with their rules about use our figures only etc for the games or tournaments... most oz tournaments are independent events... so most comp gamers have bits and parts from other systems or even manufacturers in their line ups even if its one or two figures.... GW won't allow us through the door with these armies. (I can respect that and understand it... but I have seen people turned away over resin bases at a GW... like WTF!? its gone too far... they need to say yep come play with us as a veteran and we allow 90% of GW as a rule or something for those of us who are veteran and have used stuff that is not GW to represent over time some of the stuff GW has not even produced.) This is of particular irkness to veterans who may have for example a non codex storm raven they built etc....

4). Price in general.... unfortuantely they won't change their tune with this at all, but for the average young aussie gamer they are getting pricey.... a tactical squad is reaching well beyond the teenage kids ability to go grab at will... does this mean that GW are only interested in a more mature market... well if thats the case as I state above... then start catering to the mature gamer...

Where is my coffee when I go game?

Where is the attraction/selling point to a veteran in store?

Where is my chance to interact with other veterans?

Where is the painting masterclasses or modeling stuff for those of us who don't want to sit with 15 year olds?

Where are the tools? plasticard? etc that veterans will want to use to finish boards etc? in store? no? what about actually getting into this market GW!

Price is one factor.... amongst many that GW Australia should be addressing!

#8 ·
For me i am mostly a collector so this whole issue of an embargo and expected price rise doesn't affect me. The fact is that i calmed down and looked elswhere and found a replacement for Maelstrom, as a collector this suits my purpose.

But i absolutely agree with the gaming aspect, i have seen the good bad and ugly, when i do play i travel from the Central Coast of NSW to Sydney's GW Hornsby store to have a game, i won't play at Good Games in Gosford for several reasons (PM if you want to know why).

I have seen the affects of GW Australia's policy of chew and spit policy of bringing in new 10 to 12 year olds into the market and chewing up thousands of dollars of their parents money and spitting them out when they no longer can afford the money.

The burnout factor is amazing for every 1000 10 year olds starting the game, only a handful are still in the hobby 10 years later, now there are many factors that is responsible for this, but those i have spoken too are because it is prices and the lousey treatment of the Australian Market by GW.

Also up here the mass exodus of veteran gamers has led to 3 of the 4 leagues to shut down, i have been told that over 300 veterans have walked away from the gaming side of things in the last 12 months resulting in the collapse of the leagues.

#9 ·
As a relatively newcomer to the game and the hobby, it does seem at times ridiculously expensive, I've already begun sourcing alternative models for my Traitor Guard, but I don't play at GW and my local store almost encourages the use of non GW minis so that's not a problem for me. The high prices mean the hobby is simply out of reach to a lot of young kids, and that's a shame. I am an adult with a lot of disposable income and even then I struggle to justify some purchases. Having said that I can't see myself turning my back on GW completely any time soon. I love the game, the minis, the background, the history, I probably couldn't see myself playing another tabletop wargame anyway.

I'd never made any online purchases from overseas but with the strength of the Aussie dollar at the moment it was definitely something I was going to look at when I begun expanding my armoured company. Unfortunately it seems that's not an option and it will almost certainly cost them some of my business.

#10 ·
When the Battleforce's are $176.80 each and the codex's are $55+, I think most New Zealand gamers are fed up.

Seriously, the price difference is bad enough but the embargo as well?
GW can go **** themselves before I'll buy direct from them again. I buy from a local store because the guys who run it are cool and I want to support them, but it'll be awhile before I spend more money on GW stuff

#11 ·
It amazes me that i have read so many posts of folks who seem so blinkered as to think that only buying from a bricks and mortar store or Maelstrom and Wayland Games were the only option.

I am stunned that so many just don't look up EBay. There are a bucket load of savings to be had if you bothered to look.

I know i come sounding harsh but it is getting to be a joke that some are still paralized over the embargo news, and what a week later they are still so traumatized to do anything about it but moan about it.

Get off your arse and get onto EBay and look.

#16 ·
I agree with the buy from Ebay if thats what you want to do... and fully support that... what I am hearing though is more... well fine GW you want to do this and raise the price/bar etc... (worldwide) then how about more support for your veteran market.... that would be now married and have disposable income and are the people that might be worth investing some space or events in or perhaps items?

I think that is what will become the issue longer term... pricing out of the market locally... will as you said go ebay... but its the perception that people will take about GW that will kill it here and we can't afford people to be lost to the hobby due to this... right or wrong!

GW Australia has the chance here.... to own the veteran market and sow it up. Even a vet like me will pay money if the product is attractive.

For example; If they re-released the box necromunda here... put on a fortnightly league.... instore and then did a terrain making comp on square tiles for your gang?
Then asked for background fluff for it.... and a painting comp... and ran a local tournament ending in the best gangs from around oz at a yearly event?

frig I'll pay 350 bucks for the box set if it gives me 6 months worth of hobby activity with fellow vets who want to do such things! I'd even build terrain, paint like mad and buy the damn manor house or citadel wood to do conversions! LOL...

Thats just an example............... of what GW could do.... if it really wanted to work on the market that it should in my opinion be after now in 2011.

#12 ·
GW have been on my bad side for years.
Not just because of prices or anything recently, but for other reasons.

Honestly though, the thing that is annoying me the most in the last few weeks is NOT Games Workshop, but has actually been the PLAYERS themselves.

I went to a local club the other day, and all i could hear was "GW are cunts", "GW are killing the hobby", "GW are going bankrupt", "GW is the devil", "GW is the cause of global warming", "GW wants world domination" etc etc.
Then 5 minutes later they say "Ooooo you see the Necrons are coming out soon! Cant wait! :)".
I mean fuck, if its the end of the world because GW want a couple of extra dollars out of you, then why are you still playing the game and getting excited over new army updates?
*facepalm*

Personally, i can't wait till this whole "GW is the devil" crap blows over and people start enjoying the hobby again for what it is, not who it is made by. :)

#13 ·
@KingofCheese

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head.

Look i bitched and moaned like a nancy boy, but, at least the very next day i decided to use this as an opportunity to look for a better deal and boy did i find a replacement, only because i got over my disappointment and got over it.

I have read so many posts not just here but other forums saying just that GW are cunts, fuckers and a whole heap of other stuff but, low and behold in the next breath can't wait for the next range of whatever.

If you are that seriously pissed off over what GW has done, then simply walk away from the hobby, make a stance. Otherwise you are a hypocrate.

#14 ·
In the end I will keep buying, but ultimately my personal circumstances have changed.

About four years back, I was an enthusiastic gamer first and foremost, devoting secondary efforts to getting my armies completed. I would often spend several hundred dollars at a time and devote three days to getting said models assembled and painted. Needless to say, my armies were extensive, but looked crap.

But then I discovered how enjoyable converting and painting could be if you actually dedicated yourself to it and my spending slowed considerably as I took up to several weeks on a single squad or monster.

So ultimately, while the price increase has me peeved, I have done some thinking and decided that with resin replacing metal (which I think is good) I will keep buying. One purchase a week or even fortnight is easily manageable so to me it isn`t as big a deal as I initially thought it would be. Empathic rage has subsided, and I`m just gonna continue doing what I enjoy. :whistle:

#20 ·
Not any more you don't.

They closed down. The new Tin Soldier in Penrith is not related to the old one - although some of the guys may be familiar.

It used to be my go-to shop for gaming stuff for many years, even after I moved away from Sydney (I'd drop in on my monthly trip down to catch up with friends).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.