Spamming Units ... Why? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

View Poll Results: Do You Spam Powerful Units?
Yes 40 30.53%
No 45 34.35%
Sometimes 46 35.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Spamming Units ... Why?

Hey everyone

I'm just curious if someone can explain why people seem to spam units in their various armies?

Personally, I hate the practice.

Now, I'm not talking about things like, ' Oh he took 3 Tactical Squads what a spammer'.

Intead here are a few perfect examples from my own Chaos Codex.

For HQ people like to spam 4 Heralds of Tzeentch and ignore the fact that Chariots of Slaanesh and Khorne as well as the MC's and some Special Characters can be solid and deadly units as well.

For Elites people spam x3 6 Fiends and ignore the excellent Bloodcrushers and Flamers

Then for Heavy Support rather than build multiple types of Daemon Prince from all the options we have, they build one (albiet probably useful) build and then just have 3 of those.

The reason I think this is ironic is that (as a former Chaos Marine player) I know how horrible it is to have a codex stripped of all its bells and whistles were you are forced to do nothing but choose one unit; thats actually partly why I moved to Daemons.

Then I move onto this flavourful codex where you can actually choose different units in different slots and still remain competitive ... and ... head over to the army list section and basically cry.

This always takes me back to the point of, the way the game is being played.

Some might say, that in order to combat a competitive but unknown list, in a tournament for example, you have to spam the best unit at multi-tasking in order to be prepared.

I say thats a load of unthinking, untactical hogwash. So one of your units can't defeat vehicles AND infantry, tactically position it so it can maximize its strengths and minimize its weaknesses.

Finally, dont give me that people can play as they like crap. This is a social game, you play it with friends, your local GW crowd or complete strangers at the various tournaments held throughout the world.

How some people decide to play, by default, has an effect on how the others have to play as well. If everyone takes spammed powerful lists, you have to take less risks with your own army and you can see this is becoming more and more the norm by the lists posted in the Army List Section and the advice being given to newer players.

Since when can you not have one unit? You have to have two Daemon Princes, two Vindicators, two Land Raiders etc etc.

Thats called redundancy dumb*ss!

Yeah well, why the hell do peoples strategies rely on one unit making it through. If I lose multiple units to deepstrike mishaps, sometimes even my best units, I just shrug and say whoops, I don't think I need to bring four next time.

Anyway, this may sound like a rant, but I actually want to have a discussion about it, and maybe get some other opinions.

Do you agree with me, or disagree and why?

(I'll also include a simple poll at the top)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:31 PM

Well for my favourite Tyranid list I do do a bit of spamming with just using monstrous creatures. Does that count?

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #3 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:38 PM

docgeo's Flag is: USA

I don't do that...wait...maybe that is why I don't win often...lol

Doc

Link to my Artic UltraMarines Project:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=89554

post #4 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboytervigon View Post
Well for my favourite Tyranid list I do do a bit of spamming with just using monstrous creatures. Does that count?
Without seeing the list, I would be inclined to say probably not.

MC list is a theme, so your choices are being built around a theme.

At the same time though, if you purposely left out viable MC units in order to have as many of the best one as you could, that would probably count as spamming.

Oh, tis a fine line isn't it?

3 Units of Obliterators in an Iron Warriors list ... I can live with that.

3 Units of Obliterators in an Emperor's Children list ... you spammer!!!

I'm joking, but you get the point.
post #5 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:43 PM
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

In some respects surely the argument would be are you a competitive player or not? since those who spam certain units are attempting to have a super competitive lists. For me i've always tried to maintain a relatively fluffy army so my armies are usually not very competitive at all.

Then again would it be GW's intention to do away with fluffyness as such and much more individual army lists and have a more vanilla feel? I think your question in my mind opens more up than any single answer.
post #6 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:44 PM

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

If a unit is considerably better than everything else in its FOC slot and you like it, why not spam it?

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
post #7 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
In some respects surely the argument would be are you a competitive player or not? since those who spam certain units are attempting to have a super competitive lists. For me i've always tried to maintain a relatively fluffy army so my armies are usually not very competitive at all.

Then again would it be GW's intention to do away with fluffyness as such and much more individual army lists and have a more vanilla feel? I think your question in my mind opens more up than any single answer.
That's actually a really, really good point.

I think that it is not unlinked to competitive gaming, but I would still argue that it is slightly different.

If you have to choose a unit because the other units in its category are useless or are awful in comparison, then you can be somehwat let off the hook over calls of spamming.

Spamming for me is when you are given various decent options and choose the best one and just take that, without considering the usefullness of the others.

You think to yourself, 'well that's the best one in 9/10 situations so why take anything else?'.

As I said, spamming is more about lazyness and the unwillingness to actually play the game tactically.

Think of it like this, if you could choose the pieces you used in chess, how many people would spam as many Queens as possible, even though Castles, Bishops, Knights and even the humble pawn are usefull in other situations as well?

Excellent point though ... so +rep on the way.

Last edited by D-A-C; 05-15-11 at 03:54 PM.
post #8 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:56 PM

Well I don't think I spam then. As i could have 3 Trygons in my 1000 point list but instead have 2 Trygons and 2 Carnifex's.

EDIT: THIS WAS MY 2000th POST!

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines

Last edited by aboytervigon; 05-15-11 at 10:08 PM.
post #9 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:57 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Does nothing else than maxed out Paladin Squads and Draigo count as spam?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #10 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-15-11, 03:57 PM

yshabash's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathainn View Post
If a unit is considerably better than everything else in its FOC slot and you like it, why not spam it?
If this is a tourney then no problem but otherwise having super competitive lists can leave your opponent annoyed and no-one will play you.

We always have this one guy in our club who also plays guard and he doesn't understand the meaning of a fun list. Sentinels with heavy weapons everywhere, leman ruse vindicator spam, and all his troops just hide in cover or in a chimera and then in cover to take an object, he doesn't even use them! He just spams the cheapest tanks he can, and gives them the best weapons he can to give them to create a super competitive firing range list where if you don't get the first turn and destroy half his vehicles in that turn your dead.

The first time I played him I just told him in turn 4 that I really didn't like his list because it was his same tournament list and I asked him that next time we play he had a better list, an walked away. We have never played again since.

So I played him twice, the first time and the last

When life gives you lemons,
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Help black dragons get there own codex-copy and paste this into your signature

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode