Do monstrous creatures need a tune-up? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Weapon's Flag is: Ireland

Default Do monstrous creatures need a tune-up?

I think it's entirely unrealistic that Draigo has the same toughness as a Daemon Prince, Chaplain Cassius is as tough as a Carnifex/The Avatar and that Arjac Rockfist is as strong as FateWeaver/a chaos Daemons Daemon Prince.

Just by comparing Draigo and the Chaos Daemons Daemon Prince, you can tell that the Daemon Prince should be stronger and be able to take more hits easily, based purely on the size of him!

I suppose that what I'm really trying to say, is that monstrous creatures are actually too weak for their stature.

I can accept that Draigo has the stats that he has, but I really don't think that he should be so close in strength and toughness to a gigantic, lumbering beast.

I can accept that Draigo has the same strength and toughness as a chaos spawn too, but if you compare a spawn to a Daemon Prince, there should be no question as to who is stronger and tougher.

But I really think that Monstrous Creatures need a tune-up, and I don't mean to say that their points cost should stay the same same either. Both should rise drastically.

It's not like a Daemon Prince, or a (Living) Chaos Spawn are common, so let the points cost reflect this.

Please remember that I'm referring to the actual stats, not bonus's for equipment. I have no problem at all with Space Marine Captains striking with the same strength as a Daemon Prince when they are equipped with a relic blade. It's just the characters innate strength comparison that bugs me.

And that's my opinion folks, what do you all think?

Do Monstrous Creatures need to be stronger and rarer, or do you think things are fine the way they are now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:27 PM

I do think monstrous creatures should be at least toughness 7 to stop them getting swamped by lasguns.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:36 PM
Rattlehead

Just give all Monstrous Creatures Eternal Warrior (Seriously, grazing a Trygon to make it go comatose is silly) and an Invulnerable save of some kind and they'd be good to go.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:37 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

As one of the few people who usually takes Chaos Spawn despite their not being very good I think their points cost is fine.

Turning to the meat of your point: it is an artefact of a 1-10 scale for stats rather than a 1-100. Taken with other rules (e.g. 2D6 Penetration) the differentiation is about a good as it could be without making MCs much more expensive.

If you make MCs much more expensive, then it will - without extensive amendments, FAQs, and rebalancing - unbalance different armies to a different extent, which GW are unlikely to do.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:38 PM

Nidzilla power shall reign again.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:46 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

I think they do, but I also think that Tyranid Nidzilla is a bit overpowered at times.

Personally my suggestion would be that, because they are so big they are always hit on a 2+ and then of course they will be high toughness which for most weapns that aren't plasma or melta they need a 6+ to wound.

Thats my idea anyway.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:51 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

All monstrous creatures I've faced since Nids new codex haven't made it past turn 2 against me. Sure, I play Tau, but what the hell?

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 04:53 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Your forgetting though that Draigo is clad in artificer Terminator Armor, while a demon prince is not.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Weapon's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Your forgetting though that Draigo is clad in artificer Terminator Armor, while a demon prince is not.
No I'm not.

Normal terminators don't get extra strength or toughness, so your argument is invalid...

Also, Daemon Princes can still have power armour, or simple Daemonic armour.

So yeah.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 05:02 PM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

I do think MC's need to be more monstrous. I really don't know how you could do it though without wrecking what balance is left in 40k. Maybe make them alot more powerful but them limit then to 0-1 per army or something. I'm sure if GW wants to sell more higher priced monsters they'll come up with something.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode