Crater Markers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-11, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Crater Markers

I was looking for some cheap terrain and stumbled across these...

Crater Markers available from www.terrainfoundry.com

Not really terrain as such, but certainly very handy for gameplay. Never again will i forget that my fragile troops are getting a cover-save after their transport is tragically blown to pieces.

I've ordered myself a pack of the tank size.

Last edited by flashbang; 05-04-11 at 10:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 05:35 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

... Technically those should not give any cover saves, should they? I mean, its not exactly as if a flat piece would protect anything. It is if I painted a huge bunker on my board, what would it affect? Nothing, cause it is flat.

But whatever, I just dont like flat pieces, cause they dont do anything in games, if you do not count them as something else. I mean, would I get a cover save for standing in grass?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 05:54 AM
Feed

I just use the citagel moonscape for vehicle explosions and the wall of fire markers from GF9 to show a vehicle wreck. They even have smoke counters and turn counters, it`s good stuff.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 06:44 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

I use the GF9 fire/explosion markers for wrecked vehicles and the wall of smoke for smoke launchers. They're cool.
But I also use their infantry and vehicle status counters.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
... Technically those should not give any cover saves, should they? I mean, its not exactly as if a flat piece would protect anything. It is if I painted a huge bunker on my board, what would it affect? Nothing, cause it is flat.

But whatever, I just dont like flat pieces, cause they dont do anything in games, if you do not count them as something else. I mean, would I get a cover save for standing in grass?
It would be area terrain, so of course it would give cover saves!!!

Like i said, these arn't "terrain", just a marker for indicating where a vehicle exploded, an area which then gives cover and is difficult terrain, pretty important in terms of game play. They certainly look better than using ripped up pieces of paper or a circle of dice like some people use.

Plus, I think the fact that they are flat is beneficial. Its tricky trying to balance a large mob of orks on a shaped crater, models invariably fall off and get damaged, and often you can't fit all the models within the crater. A nice flat crater means i can fit all my models within the cover and benefit from a 4+ cover instead of a flimsy armour save.

It also means they are easy to store and transport. I've bought a pack of 5 and i reckon i'll be able to slip them into my rule book or codex. You can't do that with vacuum formed plastic craters!!!

I was going to make some crater/wreckage markers myself, but these have saved me the hastle

Last edited by flashbang; 04-29-11 at 10:13 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 10:36 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Just make some yourself... All you need is a bit of cardboard, a foil pie dish, some kitchen/toilet roll and some PVA glue and paint.

Pretty much its just cut a disk of cardboard to shape, stick the pie dish upside down on top of it and push in the middle into a suitable crater shape. Add a few layers of paper mache over the top.. paint, bingo done... Craters that look craterish, and with you will get a cover save as they're 3d
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 01:53 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

GrizBe beat me to it.

Though having made a number of those for a gaming league, I'd recommend back filling the underside once you've crushed in the middle, using either expanding insulation foam (make sure the area is well ventilated) or using something like plaster. That way the aluminum pie plate creates the shape, and the underside filler gives it stability. And then glue the whole thing down on a piece of cardboard, corrugated plastic, or a hard board like mdf or even better Masonite.

Masonite for those unfamiliar is a composite board made from wood without using and poisons, polymers, or formaldehyde (mdf has formaldehyde in it). Masonite just needs a nice paint layer to seal it up and protect it from moisture.

Cheers,
Kreuger

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 03:02 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Usually i've found with enough layers of paper mache, you don't really need to backfill the pie tins to help them hold shape as they become rigid enough when dry to take enough abuse that you have to prtty much stomp on them to deform them... But backfilling is good for a little extra structure and weight if you are going to give them alot of abuse.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 05:15 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

We had a crew of none to considerate gamers, so the first few of those pie tins we made didn't hold up so well.

I should have been more specific. I didn't use paper-mache when building any of them.

Typically if I'm trying to texture a terrain piece or add rigidity I use spackle and gesso, and sometimes a coat of pva glue+gesso (though that can be a little glossy).

Cheers,
Kreuger

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-11, 09:20 PM

My only issue with flat terrain modifiers is that they make line of sight actions too fuzzy for my tastes. I prefer terrain pieces to be 'in full' where certain units are obscured from being attacked or attacking. If it's just a flat piece on the ground, it kind of fogs things up.

Though people play by whichever rules they choose, so in the end I suppose it doesn't matter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode