Do you have more fun with large or small armies? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

Default Do you have more fun with large or small armies?

I was in the Army Lists section and an OP commented on his own list saying he was stuck with the models he had. That made me wonder. It was pretty fun when I was just starting CSM and only had about 1000 points of the most random models that I thought were cool the time. My 5 randomly armored termis, my lesser daemons (from 3.5), my 5 raptors, a bunch of mutants, even an old khorne lord on a juggernaught and so on.

Now I must have at least 6000 points worth of CSM and all of my lists tend to be pretty min/maxed and designed to win. It's always nice to win but I've not been getting as much enjoyment out of it recently as I had been in the past. I've started drifting back towards making lists for fun and am considering buying some fantasy chaos warriors to make into some chosen with power weapons because I think that would look bad ass behind a chaos lord on steed.

I guess the point of this is that it was actually really fun fielding only the models I thought were cool before I learned if they were any good or not. Has anyone else noticed having more fun when they were just starting an army as opposed to having nearly every option in the codex and knowing which models/builds will win you games?

Maybe it just comes down to whether you enjoy playing to win or you enjoy playing for fun.

Makes me miss my lord on a juggernaught. I think I'll go write him into a list right now...

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 07:48 AM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

I love really small battles (around 1,000 pts.) and really large battles 3,5K - 10K but aren't as enthusiastic about anything in between...

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 07:58 AM

Uber Ork's Flag is: USA

You know... after thinking about it, I agree. I think smaller games might be nice again. I too have large forces for both my orks and marines and my armies tend to get min-maxed-spammed-geared to win as well.

I miss those simpler days. *looks off into distance longingly*

Did you guys ever play those fan rules that came out a long while back "40K in 40 minutes?" That was actually pretty fun.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

What's 40k in 40 minutes?

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 08:00 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

40k in 40min was published in the official rulebook.
It was named Combat Patrol.

Personally i find games around 750-1000 more enjoyable than the 1500-2000 point games.

Although playing a 4-player game with 8000 points on the table is fairly awesome (second to Apoc).

And yes, the days of innocence from the taint of powergaming had a certain feeling of excitement to them.
Some of the 1000 point games we played back on the release of 3rd ed were terribad lists, but we had a hell of a lot of fun with them.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 08:03 AM

Vanchet's Flag is: United Kingdom

I always like the middle games (so 1500, 1750, 2k)\ Much easier to co-ordinate hen LARGE games cause more often ppl shove timers on you or your playing several ppl who are trying to do everything at once and it's just me

I'm not insane I just lack sanity, there's a difference....................somewhere

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 08:03 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I tend to play at 1500, but the number of models I have on the table matches that seen in a 750 point army, for I tend to go for the fluffy and cool looking part rather than the competive, so I have an expensive Vanguard Veteran squad, a Captain with his equally expensive command squad, a small Scout and Tactical squad, which are both filled with extras, and a Chaplain + Transport vehicles if i can fit them into the points limit.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 08:55 AM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

i enjoy both large and small games, just anoying when you play a small game, say 750pts, and your opponent puts a nightbringer on the table (but he did admit after the game it was rather rude of him, and that he didnt warn me either, otherwise i could changed my IG list to try and counter him, as the game was pre-arranged)

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 09:09 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by fynn View Post
i enjoy both large and small games, just anoying when you play a small game, say 750pts, and your opponent puts a nightbringer on the table (but he did admit after the game it was rather rude of him, and that he didnt warn me either, otherwise i could changed my IG list to try and counter him, as the game was pre-arranged)
You cant complain, it was Dr Who!

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-11, 10:58 AM

Deathscythe4722's Flag is: USA

I can't stand games 1000 and below unless they're using some sort of special rules, like Combat Patrol.

At 1000 and under, the newer codices have an unforgivable advantage because of their more cost-effective units (case in point: 2 Leman Russ and 2 Vendettas in 1000 points). The game doesn't fully balance out until around 1500, with 1750 being the optimal level imo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode