How do you move armies? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

Default How do you move armies?

So I would love to hear how everyone out there deals with moving and taking their armies with them. I'm currently a college student living in a small apartment and so have limited space for my minis. Next year is going to be my last year of undergrad and I intend to move out of state to attend grad school (here's lookin at you Boston!) where I'm sure I won't have a larger place. Now I really, REALLY want to start Grey Knights but I only want to have to deal with storing one army at a time and shipping one army across the United States. Now I suppose I have two questions...

1) How do you compromise with storing armies in a limited amount of space? Do you sell armies you don't really care to play or just try to jam everything into every space possible?

2) Have you moved and had to bring an army(armies) with you and how did you deal with that? Did you choose to give up an army out of necessity or ease and how did you choose?

I suppose I have a lot of time to deal with this, but I would rather not continue adding to an army I know I would sell in a little while. Advice and/or stories much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 04:46 AM

TheAbominableDan's Flag is: Canada

I bought a Games Workshop carrying case and I use it to store most of my models as well. I'm currently in a space crunch also but a spare book shelf does work well for keeping models in the open around the house.

The GW case wasn't cheap but my stuff stays secure, there are cheaper options if you're willing to look for it. But I got lazy I guess.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 07:45 AM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

yeah, i have used teh GW carry cases since they were first invented and they have always been good to my minis.

as for selling off armies you don't play any more ( i wont say @don't really care about as they all have a place in my heart...), that's exactly what i did this year. It was a hard decision but i realised i had minis in teh cupboard that hadn't seen a battle in 5 years or more... time to go.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 09:34 AM

.Kevin.'s Flag is: Spain

Citadel Case, then paint it so asshats at your club don't 'accidentally' go in your case.

---
Blood Angels+Flesh Tearers Allied - ???? pts
W- 5| D - 1| L - 2
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 11:58 AM
Feed

I also rely heavily on the durability of the citadel case. There`s no room in my car after all the crap I lug around for work, so I just tie a rope around the handle and fix it to my bumper bar. The case looks like shit, but the models inside are just fine!

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 01:05 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

That sounds hilarious.

I myself cannot really afford to throw money on a citadel case. Since I now only use plastic based figures I can shove them in a shoe box and they survive the journey. It is a real space saver as well.

And yes selling off old models or models you hardly use in your army is a good idea since it gives space AND money as well.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

Ya unfortunately I think it will be my Tyranid army going if I like GK enough. It will be so much easier to store vehicles and the much smaller amount of models versus the swarms of gants and such I currently have. I may invest in a travel case within the next year as well but find the materials to make my own I think. Thanks for the advice everyone!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 02:29 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I currently have the luxury of storage space. However during college and a year in Ameri*Corps, all my minis stayed in a closet/attic at folks' house.

There are many options that are more cost effective than a GW miniatures case. I have a 3 old gray chessex cases, 2 Doskocil 2 layer pistol cases, 1 gw case I bought used, 1 single layer pistol case, 1 shotgun take-down case, and a few of these: Plano 4 pistol cases.

I don't own any guns. GW used to sell rebranded pistol cases from other manufacturers before they created their 'own' miniature cases. I'd recommend the Plano 4's, they have a lot of space, good foam (and by that I mean fairly dense, with a deep egg crating which holds models in place really well), and are pretty inexpensive.

I'd avoid the shotgun cases, at least mine doesn't close tightly enough to keep my models in place when I pick it up and move it. Its fine for storage, but not so much for travel.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Kreuger

edit - I've sold a few armies over the years, usually just from being tired and wanting to start a new army. And in most cases I've found that the sale didn't generate the cash I wanted. At this point I find I'm too invested in the time and effort expended on converting miniatures (not so much the money) to sell them off. Besides, after years of playing chaos in various forms, I like haveing a smorgasbord of things to choose from when writing an army.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 02-23-11 at 02:32 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 02:46 PM

Karak The Unfaithful's Flag is: Great Britain

Well, my models just sit on a shelf until there needed and I move them round in a shoebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
Ok, doing good gentlemen.
(Except Karak, you are not really a gentleman, but more brutal.... a brutalman )
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 03:12 PM

Ive got a tool case, and it workes well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode