Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Which Codex Would YOU be Happy to go?

GW Announce They are Getting Rid of a Codex!

3K views 40 replies 33 participants last post by  5tonsledge 
#1 ·
Sorry if the title is a little confusing but imagine the scenario that GW suddenly decide they can't run the amount of armies they currently sell and have to get rid of one codex. Which one would you vote. Please vote in the poll.

#7 ·
Remove the sisters? No nuns with guns? How can you not love that? ^_^

If any codex has to go, it's one of the numerous Marine ones. There's just too many of them. I'd get rid of the Dark Angels, since they're the least unique, and instead introduce a Dark Angels HQ that changes the rules of your army, as the Vanilla Marine HQs do, perhaps to allow Terminators to be troops, and all deep strike in on turn 1.

Second choice would be Chaos Daemons. I love the daemons, but I'd much rather have them grouped in with the Chaos Marines, in a single codex.

#8 ·
If they were gonna get rid of any, it should be the multiple space marine codexes... So many units are the same in them, it'd be easy to just remake them as a combined codex with unique units or rules seperately.

Heck, no-one remember 'Codex Angels of Death' where they had combined Blood angels and Dark Angels?

#10 ·
It would be a marine codex, most likely BA or DA as those 2 codices are the most similar to the base SM codex. I would remove the DA codex as you can already run a basic ravenwing army in the current SM codex.

If GW did have to get rid of a codex because of declining sales, I have a feeling they would off set the costs by making and selling pdf faction mini dex's. Something like having the base Eldar book then releasing a Corsairs mini dex, where it modifies a few units/rules and introduces 2 new HQ choices and some shoulder pads.

At least that would be my plan.

#11 ·
Eliminate the Space Marines! Seriously, it would be so funny to see what would happen if you removed the most played army from the game. Of course all that would happen is that everyone who plays Space Marines would simply move onto to the sub-codices.

Of course if we removed them...

P.S. The Sisters of Battle may not get the attention Space Marines do, but they have far more character as an army.

#12 ·
Chaos Deamons - for 40k they don't really make much fluff sense - Deamons need a huge hold over a world to gain access to this realm, lots of cultists running around spilling blood, ergo Apoc is perfect for them, should just be part of the CSM codex like they used to be, none of this generic deamon crap.

#13 ·
Removing Variant Chapters from Marines. They are all "Space Marines Plus", rather than different variants of Space Marines.

Reintroducing a full chapter design system for Vanilla would be far better.

#14 ·
Well, Jacobite swung my decision for me: As a person, I can often have my opinions changed by a single good argument, and the fact that Daemons need TONS of cultists for even one to come out of the warp means that if they were to keep them, they'd need to include Cultists as a compulsory choice with at least one unit of 30.

I almost voted DA, then decided that, yes, they aren't much difference from vanilla. But if they were to be lumped in by themselves, then it would need to be more than Codex: Ultramarines (impossible while Mat Ward's in charge). For the necessary army possibilities, you'd need the Master of the Ravenwing, Master of the Deathwatch, and Azrael for it to all be really possible. Then again, IF and RG get by with one incredibly notable Captain, then I don't see why DA would need more than the Deathwatch to make Termies Troops. But Sammael is too unique to just be a Captain. He has the only freakin' jetbike left in the Imperium, and can be put in a Land Speeder to boot. Then you have Ezekiel, Asmodai and the Watchers in the Dark... DA may not be that unique in their basic army, but when you lump in the army organisation possibilities and special characters, they're their own force.

And haven't SoB pretty much already been removed? First they were put in the WH codex, which is now a PDF...

#18 ·
Thats it. Get rid of the the variant marine codex and bring out a bumper hardback marines codex with all the significant chapters with their specific options. Do the same for chaos. Marines, demons and chaos cults all in one. Thirdly do the same for forces of the imperium, Witchunters, demonhunters, ordo xenos and admech. That takes 9 codexes and reduces it to three. The thing is i would buy them all.

#19 ·
As a dark angels player, I'd be fine getting my army lumped in with regular codex marines, as long as Belial, and Sammael would allow the army to use Death Wing Terminator units that are troops and Raven Wing bikers respectively it would work out fine with me. Almost every other unit in my codex is the same as the vanilla dex. Those 2 units are why are I play Dark Angels, if they were to edit them into the current Vanilla codex through a pdf, or an small revision of the current book and I would be totally okay with them discounting a separate book. Actually this would benefit my army greatly, being able to take units like Iron Clad Dreads would help a Death Wing force.

#21 ·
Daemons should be put back into the CSM Codex.

It was a half assed attempt, by GW, to add another army to the ranks and make more money due to CSM players having to replace their Daemon units with CSM's and Daemon players having to replace their CSM units with Daemons.

SGMAlice

#24 ·
While I logically agree with most of your points:
  • Recombine CSM & Daemons (and cultists) - Definitely. They should never have been divided.
  • Cull the herd of Marine books. - Agreed. They both stay too close to 'marines' and vary too much.
  • Combine the Ministorum/Inquisition - Agreed. They would benefit from a more combined approach.
The army I want to see gone is the Necrons. Space undead just aren't compelling in the way vampire counts or tomb kings are. They were a mistake to add to the game in the first place - they were retconned in during 3rd edition. They need to be retconned right back out again in 5th/6th edition.

Kreuger

#25 ·
Whats with all the hate for the Sisters? When they were released, they were a tough army to face down... The only problem with them is that GW didn't give them any love which is why they are sub par now... Yet, why no hate for the Dark Elves or the Grey knights? They were in exactly the same boat, and now we've people selling their right arm for want of them.

Anyway... definately as pointed out, the most sensible thing to do would be to either condense the marines codex's, or to put all the forces of chaos back into one codex as the 3rd ed one was.

#28 ·
While I logically agree with most of your points:

* Recombine CSM & Daemons (and cultists) - Definitely. They should never have been divided.
* Cull the herd of Marine books. - Agreed. They both stay too close to 'marines' and vary too much.
* Combine the Ministorum/Inquisition - Agreed. They would benefit from a more combined approach.

The army I want to see gone is the Necrons. Space undead just aren't compelling in the way vampire counts or tomb kings are. They were a mistake to add to the game in the first place - they were retconned in during 3rd edition. They need to be retconned right back out again in 5th/6th edition.

Kreuger
I agreed with all those exsept I prefere chaos divided.

#29 ·
I might vote Blood Angels. MAinly because if any codex was going then it would be a marine one and out of all the marine variants I like angry marines (BT), not too fussed about wolf marines (SW) and I dislike but not greatly emo marines (DA). However I REALLY dislike Twilight marines (BA) so they definitely get my vote.

#30 ·
I wish GW would combine all of the Loyalist Space Marine Codices together and utilize the Special Character route to give all the variants their special rules. Dark Angels could be covered by adding Belial. Blood Angels could be added by having Dante make Assault Marines a troop choice, Lemartes could give 1 assault squad all the special rules for the Death Company. Logan Grimnar could change alter Tac squads so they have Bolters, Pistols and Chain Swords; Bjorn Fellhanded could be alter Devastator Squads to emulate Long Fangs. The Emperor's Champion would make Assault Marines troop choices and bind your army under particular vows (via chapter tactics).

These are just some ideas about how GW could go about it. Of course they'll never do it because this game revolves around Space Marine sales too much to risk going 4 or 5 years with out a new codex.

I would like to see Daemons and Chaos Marines reintegrated. This would help differentiate Chaos Marines more fully from Loyalists with out having to retcon the back story or put a greater emphasis upon Renegade Chapters.

I would have loved to see GW combine all of the =][= stuff into one codex.

#31 ·
I would like to see Daemons and Chaos Marines reintegrated. This would help differentiate Chaos Marines more fully from Loyalists with out having to retcon the back story or put a greater emphasis upon Renegade Chapters.
Agreed. A chaos marine army with full ability to take daemons feels and plays differently than generically 'evil' marines. Though I don't mind emphasis on the renegade chapters. Provided that emphasis isn't strictly on the cult legions.

Cheers,
Kreuger

#33 ·
Well, duh. It would have to be a Space Marine codex. And although I'd want to see all SM in 1 book, if I only could get rid of 1 it would be DA. They have an ugly paint scheme, uninteresting fluff - and their rules can easily be represented within a footnote in Codex: Vanilla. But it's a toss up between DA, SW and BT. I rather like Blood Angels though (in fact, it's the only SM chapter or CSM legion that I can stand)

#34 ·
Good luck getting rid of necrons. They`re Matt Ward`s new BA buddyfisting mates. :laugh:

My choice would be the DA. They are too similar to basic marines to qualify for a seperate codex.

And even if necrons did get phased out of 40k, I`m not worried because they`ll be back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.