How should a Loganwing army work? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

How should a Loganwing army work?

Playing a Loganwing army yesterday I was struck by two things:

1) Like all termiewing armies it was low on models and therefore vulnerable to one of my favourite tactics, the melee pile-in.

2) It compensated for a certain lack of ability/bad luck on the part of the player using it, enabling him to stay in the game longer than would have been the case with another army(the bad luck may have something to do with the fact that his army may have been more than 150 points short of the 1500 total).

Now looking over my own copy of Codex: Space Wolves, I've noticed you have a choice of armour types with the wolf guard packs, similar to the old Chaos Marine chosen, so I'm wondering what's the best way to play Loganwing:

A) Take as many Terminators with Storm Shields as you can.

Or

B) Take only one Terminator squad in a Land Raider alongside Logan Grimmnar and have the rest of the Wolf Guard packs as power-armoured marines in Rhinos or Razorbacks.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.

Last edited by The Sullen One; 02-04-11 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 08:58 PM

lastdaysofhumanity's Flag is: USA

C) spam lots mixed squads with 1 CML/TH/SS terminator and 4 power armor guys.

Makes for an absolutely murderous hail of missiles, a strong CC backbone, and mitigates the not-enough-bodies problem. A lot of competitive players like this setup.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26497&dateline=129399  0905
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-11, 07:52 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

D) Take five man WG packs with jump packs and TH/SS. They'll get to an objective quick and be very hard to shift. Or they can bounce around the board making pavement pizza out of your enemies. Points heavy, but if you're playing Loganwing, you'll be happy to pay it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-11, 09:04 PM

Loganwing works really well in mixed drop pod Wolf packs. Just remember the backbone of a Logan Wing army is 18 Long Fangs.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 02:21 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
Loganwing works really well in mixed drop pod Wolf packs. Just remember the backbone of a Logan Wing army is 18 Long Fangs.
Very true. No matter what your Loganwing setup is, you really need a lot of longfangs backing them up, to make up for your lack of shooting.

I like 3 x 6 longfangs w/5 missile launchers (possibly with razorbacks, just for extra shooting), and then several units of wolf guard terminators in drop pods. Each wolf guard unit should ideally have a heavy flamer and chainfist in each, but besides that it's up to you if you want TH + SS, or dual lightning claws, or a combination of both.

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 02:42 PM

I would give the Long Fangs Drop pods, but that's because i'm Drop Podding the Wolf Guard. I would also give the Wolf Guard a Cyclone Missile launcher instead of the Heavy Flamer, but that's just preference.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-11, 10:30 AM

Grokfog's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdaysofhumanity View Post
C) spam lots mixed squads with 1 CML/TH/SS terminator and 4 power armor guys
Out of curiousity, what would you equip the power armoured WG with?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-11, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
D) Take five man WG packs with jump packs and TH/SS. They'll get to an objective quick and be very hard to shift. Or they can bounce around the board making pavement pizza out of your enemies. Points heavy, but if you're playing Loganwing, you'll be happy to pay it.
A jetpack taking guy costs 43, add 50 and you have 93 points invested in a single figure, never mind the 4 other guys being taken. I donno, but I prefer 3 single thunderwolf with the same toolout, because they get extra toughness and cost almost 40% less. Or not take the stormsheild and be 60% cheaper.

Generally speaking, pure termie force often ends up being relatively small and often are not tough enough to make up for their lack of size. (5 Termies? Nothing a concentrated bolter assualt can't wittle down.)

To not take as many termies: These guys can be taken in mixed formation, often a single termie to 4 men. In a drop pod force, it provides much the same firepower with less cost, easpically since you can put combi weapons and put out a stunning first turn of high quaility shooting, or opt to foot slog and fire with cyclone. Either way, it allows you to keep your high weapon quaility, yet takes advantage of the normal, but fantastic 3+ armour save all marines take for granted.

As for equipment, I imagine most would have two combi weapons and a chain fist on the Cyclone termie. Some may opt for a second fist, but it's often best to come back later after you brought everything else, more then one way to put punch into a Loganlist.

To take many long fangs as possible: As mentioned, the long ranged firepower these guys provide is always fantastic and will often make up for any size differences. Only issue is these guys are not terribly mobile, but often end up under eastimated. When you have a cyclone in every squad, the numbers of missles adds up.

Another idea is to take Thunderwolf, it won't provide many more bodies, but it will provide a potent melee aid that can get to exactly where it is needed within 2 turns. Many small packs take advantage of the special weapon and maintains that Elite factor the list aims to achieve.

Lastly, scouts could be an alright idea, but it's not seen often due to it's randomness compared to the more stable above options. A sneaky cheap combat unit could swing battles in small ways.

Last edited by Wysten; 02-10-11 at 11:44 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode