What would make you quit the hobby? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 12:51 AM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think the only way I'd quit was if for some bizarre reason conversions were banned.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 12:53 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I quit at 16 because no one i knew played anymore, and i was spending all my monies and time on biking instead.

During the break i was still painting on a regular basis (airfix, action figure customs, lego) and when my flat mate decided to buy some SM off ebay and asked me to help paint them, i was hooked again.

Even though my first army of Ultra mahreens were terribly painted, i wish i still had them for nostalgia.

I probably should quit GW because it'd be far cheaper to paint stuff from other manufacturers, but those damn space marines just keep pulling me back - plus it's virtually impossible to find anyone else who does multipart plastic kits like GW.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 12:59 AM

johnnymajic's Flag is: Canada

I started when I was 11, and was on again off again for roughly 5 years. This can be attributed to not having steady income, any patience, not having a rulebook, not having friends to play against/with and hating to paint. I got back into it 2 years ago, selling off my tau and going for chaos marines. I still hate to paint, so somethings never change.

I would quit for good if no one in the city played anymore, or if money became too big of an issue. Other than that, I'm pretty into it, even if i do procrastinate having a painted army.

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 07:38 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I went off for 3 years in 2006 and returned July 2009. Mainly because I had no people to play against and I had other things going on in my life. After a few years I realised something was missing and went back into 40K with a new eldar army and carried on since.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 07:52 AM

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

Really I would only quit if I, for some reason, could not paint anything. As long as I can paint, I'm happy, even just seeing my models on a shelf makes me feel good.

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 08:29 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

I've given up gaming before (still kept on with the modelling and painting though) due to not having enough time nor places to get games (late RT-early 2nd ed).
I came back when a mutual friend introduced me to some local guys.
Then I found other groups.

I'd give up the 40kays (in a second) if I could find someone else to play Tomorrow's War with in my area.

GW screwing up the game with a new edition or them going kaput wouldn't stop me gaming. There are always other rulesets out there and often they don't care whose miniatures you use.

Death or other feebleness is about what it would take to stop me.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 10:14 AM

Zodd's Flag is: Denmark

Nothing would make me quit the hobby of modelling . I have been in the hobby for over 40 years, so no, it is not going to happen. Maybe less GW if they stop making things that interest me. It had happen in the past, but that always happens on time or another with all companies. Airfix have folded 3 times during my "career" as a modeller, but they are back in force and making some god stuff.
And GW are turning out a lot of BA godness at the moment , so i enjoy my GW part of the hobby.

Have You Hugged Your Dread Today ?
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 10:26 AM

Alexious's Flag is: Australia

Yep GW going under would be a big dent in me continuing the 40k aspect.

As I have gotten older though... the more I am drawn to Historical War Gaming and playing larger scale strategic war games like Third Reich, Europa, All Quiet on the Western Front, World in Flames.

However these historical large scale wargames (played with the thousands upon thousands of cardboard chits) tend to require a GREAT deal of time and finding anyone who wants to do that.. in their 30s and 40s is rare here in Sydney.

I am finding as the years go on, the ranks of older gamers either swells or declines depending if a generational change is starting... Gen X gamers are now in their 30s and Gen Y... hmmmm I am unsure whether 40k is something Gen Y will stick with over time.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 10:50 AM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

At some point I may feel too old for it.

But i'll give up lager and filthy women first
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 12:32 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

The only reason i would probably quit was if one of the staff at my local store raped me... But soon as they left i would be straight back in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode