What units are so CHEESE you almost refuse to play armies with them? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:21 PM

ohiocat110's Flag is: USA

I would expect allied Inquisitors/Mystics to go away in the new GK (or Whatever) codex. I like the concept of Inquisition allies, but being able to bring such powerful anti-deepstrike capability into Marine and IG lists is unbalancing. I don't have a problem with them within their own Codex though.

As a Nid player, I'm jealous of the super cheap transports and wickedly powerful ICs with invulnerable saves that Marines get. I wouldn't really call individual units cheesy though. Nids get a lot of stuff that they don't get, like T6 W6 MCs that can shrug off melta hits.

Certain builds look cheesy to certain armies, but I have yet to see the ultimate all-comers list. Closest is probably the infamous "Leafblower", but make it strict 40K instead of the Imperial Armor units and it becomes more pedestrian. That's also a lot of the motivation for wanting to do away with allied Mystics, as countering deepstrike takes away a lot of the weaknesses of the IG codex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:23 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Obliterators seem fine to me. They are scary and effective, but nothing to take offence at.

The OP's point still stands though, there certainly are some units (or combinations of units) that are just unsporting. F'rex I could field three Exorcists, but I don't because I'm a gentleman. I don't know what it was like in 3e but today the Exorcist is simply too cheap for what it can do.

Most things in the Space Wolf codex seem under-priced - they are certainly cheaper than vanilla Marines for no real downside (Long Fangs units are smaller than Devestator units, so have fewer ablative wounds, but it's hardly a sufficient handicap to justify the price) and then there's the Vendetta...

I grant my army doesn't have a 5e Codex, but if the Vendetta were in my codex for 200 points, I'd still field it and call it a bargain - I suspect I'm not alone.

I think most Guard players would agree that it's too good for its points.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points
post #13 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:25 PM

lastdaysofhumanity's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
How self righteous people get over something like this is pure /boggle. If you're really Ghandi incarnated and don't get even a slight twinge of reduced fighting spirit against as much as one unit in a game of thousands... Grats, you're a saint, a model opponent, a true sporting gentleman... More importantly, you should have left this thread alone as it is clearly not for you.
Well, see, that's not what you posted about. You were asking for people to vent about "imbalanced" and "cheesy" units that people "almost refuse" (whatever that means) to play against, and combined it with a rant where you lambasted people who run the (arguably) only good chaos heavy support choice as being "beardy" and "waac"..

Your attitude annoys a lot of people because it's common among bad players who whine when their opponents use tactics they don't know how to beat instead of learning how to play. This type of player is known as a "scrub". I don't know whether you're a scrub, but you have a lot of the same complaints that they do.

And you're wondering why you raised hackles?

You'd probably have gotten a better reception if you asked about what enemy units people find annoying or frustrating, rather than what they "almost refuse to play against".

On topic, I nominate SM librarians as the unit that annoys me most to play against. Stupid null zone psychic hood superflamer BS.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26497&dateline=129399  0905

post #14 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:29 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Wanna talk about cheese, talk about 3rd edition eldar that cold field 30 wraithguard and 3 wraithlords at 1500 or jet bikes that you could not shoot but shot the hell out of you.

And it is impossible to judge one dex from another and here is why:

The Nids dex and CSM dex may have identical statlines, but in the nid dex it is 25 points more. OMFGHAX why? Because the character with that statline may not fit the overall flavor of the army so there is a penalty accessed. Oblits are not broke IMHO, but they maybe in yours. That is your right to say that.

To the people who wanna act like an inflamed hemeroid, the moment he started to "stir up shit" was the exact moment folks decided to break this down to name calling. In the wise words of Jezlad, chill the fuck out.

Last edited by Djinn24; 01-05-11 at 01:45 PM.
post #15 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdaysofhumanity View Post
Well, see, that's not what you posted about. You were asking for people to vent about "imbalanced" and "cheesy" units that people "almost refuse" (whatever that means) to play against, and combined it with a rant where you lambasted people who run the (arguably) only good chaos heavy support choice as being "beardy" and "waac"..

Your attitude annoys a lot of people because it's common among bad players who whine when their opponents use tactics they don't know how to beat instead of learning how to play. This type of player is known as a "scrub". I don't know whether you're a scrub, but you have a lot of the same complaints that they do.

You'd probably have gotten a better reception if you asked about what enemy units people find annoying or frustrating, rather than what they "almost refuse to play against".

On topic, I nominate SM librarians as the unit that annoys me most to play against. Stupid null zone psychic hood superflamer BS.
Well maybe my wording was poorly chosen, in combination with less perception from the readers (as clearly you have already put me in a booth with these 'whiners' when in fact there are few ways to word it more pleasing)

Anyway, when I face Obliterators, it's Obliterator SPAM. Which is probably why they sicken me to the teeth. I am by no means a bad player, I am actually one of the people-to-playtest-against over here, but I'm not unsporting either.

The things Oblits seem to be able to do against any of my often fielded armies and the array of responses to them is just insane. The point cost is way skewed.

The fact that the rest of the Chaos codex is a bit sub par doesn't really change that. This is about unit balance, not codex balance.

I have a friend who likes spamming Librarians and Vindicators. I'd rather play him any day. Although his tactics are equal, the units are not.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #16 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #17 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:42 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdaysofhumanity View Post

Even though I said I wouldn't post again (I've calmed down), I just want to say, maybe I did go a little overboard and I don't want a rep as being an asshole.

In saying that LastDaysOfHumanity made me realise exactly what pissed me off so much about the OP. (So +rep for you).

1. You might have added the word 'almost', but you also included 'refused to play against', and your reason for doing so was your opponent taking a particular unit, not just spamming the shit out of that unit at the expense of all other choices.

2. You picked on CSM's, I mean seriously, there have been a number of threads lately that attack our codex one way or another and after numerous times defending the codex as 'not as bad as everyone makes out', you came along and trashed the one truly unique and all-round decent unit we have.

3. You accused people who take the unit as being 'Beardy' and/or WAAC, when to be honest, given the newer codices available, you really had loads of things to choose to hate on, but you chose us Chaos players, who lets be honest are in a bad way with our armies, with no sign of things getting better.

Anyway.

Getting back on track, and with a little modification on the original question.

Units I hate to see spammed in an army are:

In my home Codex (Chaos Space Marines)

Daemon Princes ((especially Lash)
Plague Marines
Obliterators

In other codices

Hive Guard
Baal Predators
Blood Angels Assault Marines withouth Jet Packs
Blood Angels Razorbacks
Tzeentch Chariots in the Daemon Codex

Basically any unit where people have determined that is the only viable unit in the entire slot such as Fast Attack, Heavy Support etc, and then proceed to spam it.

So like I said, sorry about being a dick, but the way you posed this topic did/does piss me off.
post #18 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:44 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

But then again why the fuck do you not hide in cover. There is no unbeatable unit out there. There are some which seem OP or what-have you but they all have severe weaknesses that you must be intelligent enough to exploit. For example oblits crap themselves when facing lascannons or any other weapon S8 and above.

Heck my current army packs in 5 lascannons (3 of which are twin linked) and 8 missile launchers in 1500 points. They would laugh at obliterators.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #19 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:50 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Cheesy = Wraithlord "what do you mean I used to have armor values and caused psykers heads to explode when I died?" And that is my home dex and yes I play them, normally 2 in my Iyanden force. Nothing says fun like putting down 40 guard and smilling at your opponent. But TBH it sucks in capture objective missions where hoard armies have better luck but in VP I will normally win just because my stuff is a PITA to kill.

Yes there is reason Iyanden are yellow, its the color of cheese!
post #20 of 262 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Tau has the seeker missile and the rail gun. The prior is something you don't use in throngs as it's inefficient, and the latter should be making holes in tanks.

Space marines have Vindicators, and I won't stoop to spamming Vindicators to combat Obliterator spam aka. be as 'bad' as them

Tyranids have... Zoanthropes? A unit not widely used by functioning individuals (I think, a bit rusty on the new 'dex)

But yeah, I'll edit the OP.

EDIT: Anyway, Chaos has the Demon Prince and Zerkers, none of which are bad or even average. They're rather good IMO.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 01-05-11 at 01:57 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode