Waac - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

misinformed's Flag is: USA

Default Waac

Now obviously, we all know what the acronym stands for, but how would you define WAAC (Win at all costs) players? That being, is it the person that builds lists that are more about potency than fluff or is it the person that tries to bend/exploit the rules?

I am just trying to get a better understanding because if it is the person that builds potent lists and fights to win, well, my entire gaming group is that way (myself included)! I see that as being competitive, not as a negative. Of course, if somebody wants a fluff style game, I do provide it when asked (and have).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 12:52 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Kinda mixture of both in my eyes. WAAC player tend to have lists that lack originality becuase they are crammed full of units which they and forums agree have any point in that particular codex's army list.

I do notice as well they will winge and whine to bend the rules to any advantage that will be possible for them to get away with.

They also insist in making sure you do not break any rules by rolling slowly whilst making sure their dice rolls are in quick rapid succession before giving a meek answer of how many armour saves you must now apparently take.

Other side effects of being a WAAC player involve an inability of making basic communication or relaxing at all and constantly asking questions on your army so that they know more about it than you yourself do.

Not very nice players in other words.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 12:55 PM

There are a googleplex of threads asking this same fucking question.

Everyone who posts this question knows fine well what the answer is. The only reason they do is because they want to stir up bad karma between players.

A WAAC player sacrifices what some call 'gaming spirit' for efficiency/reliability/power units.

A Cheater bends the rules.

Playing RAW is very different to downright cheating.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:01 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

True, but WAAC players have a tendancy to bend the rules.

They also have a tendancy to come back to you after you win/draw the game and say that they would have won if you hadn't killed this unit or that unit or you hadn't used this unit.

Sounds like this guy at my LGS I know.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

misinformed's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
There are a googleplex of threads asking this same fucking question.

Everyone who posts this question knows fine well what the answer is. The only reason they do is because they want to stir up bad karma between players.

A WAAC player sacrifices what some call 'gaming spirit' for efficiency/reliability/power units.

A Cheater bends the rules.

Playing RAW is very different to downright cheating.
If there are other threads, I can just reference those. So, calm down and I will just go read those lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 03:06 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinformed View Post
If there are other threads, I can just reference those. So, calm down and I will just go read those lol.
Here ya go mate:

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...highlight=WAAC

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 03:37 PM
Banned
ChugginDatHaterade's Flag is: Russia

Competitive players want tough games. We want challenges. But we also want to beat people fairly. WAAC guys will cheat, bend the rules, argue everything, and generally do whatever it takes to get a win.

Also note that army list almost never factors into WAAC or not. Competitive guys and WAAC guys will both run tough lists. The difference being that competitive players know the ins and outs of the army, and likely wrote most all of it themselves. WAAC are very likely to either spam units for the sake of spamming or to just netlist.

I think a lot of people play WAAC, and assume thats the mentality of all tournament players, when its very rarely true. I have no desire to table or even beat the 13 year old ultramarine player at my lgs. He is new to the game, and still learning. He has beaten me more times than i have beaten him.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 03:59 PM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

WAAC players are generally hostile, aggressive players who will go for whatever they think is needed to win a particular tournament.

Fortunately I have only encountered one player like that and the best he could do, despite blatant cheating, was draw.

However there are a few gaming practices, such as rolling your saves one by one which are quite common and to my mind come under the category of win at all costs.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 04:08 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

Good lord, do I hate WAAC. Why would anyone think that's a good idea for a game? WAAC is a good strategy in war and the business world, but games are for fun, and if you only focus on winning, then you'll miss out on the social aspect of the game. From experience, players that focus on WAAC also tend to throw childish fits when they lose, and if they do so, I just won't play against them.

That said, it is perfectly fine to play to WAAC if you stay completely within the rules, and remain friendly throughout the game. As long as you're completely sportsmanlike, it's alright to play competitively. It's the people that expand WAAC to include cheating, bizarre rules interpretations, and constantly complaining to judges that really hurts the game.

The best players I know are all really nice guys. One plays competitive armies, the other plays more fluffy armies, and the other two use whatever models they have handy, but any of them can easily trounce my armies any day of the week, and that's the real downfall of WAAC. Even if you do everything possible to win, if you're up against an opponent who's a lot better than you, then you'll still lose, and if you're going to lose no matter what, then you might as well focus on having a good time.

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 05:50 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinformed View Post
Now obviously, we all know what the acronym stands for, but how would you define WAAC (Win at all costs) players? That being, is it the person that builds lists that are more about potency than fluff or is it the person that tries to bend/exploit the rules?

I am just trying to get a better understanding because if it is the person that builds potent lists and fights to win, well, my entire gaming group is that way (myself included)! I see that as being competitive, not as a negative. Of course, if somebody wants a fluff style game, I do provide it when asked (and have).
The thread linked by Bishop5 has very good insights into the differences between a WaaC player and a competitive player. It's a really good read and should offer a lot of insight from the mind of a competitive gamer.

I remember November, every couple of days we had threads like this popping up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode