Most detrimental heap of plastic #!$@ GW makes (rant included) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Most detrimental heap of plastic #[email protected] GW makes (rant included)

I was leafing through the December White Dwarf (which I was given by a friend, he ended up with two somehow) and was shocked to see how blood prolific the stupid realm of "shite" battle is.

Every battle report, every product shot etc had its boresome flat surface pictured (except the LotR battle, interesting that it brings something to the game).

I know GW stores now push this crap on us, I can see why GW do it - but for fucks sake why is this now the only acceptable piece of scenery to be pictured.

Most of the other scennery used in shots seems to be the plastic unimaginitive shite that GW peddles as terrain, un-modded, uninteresting genric tosh is what it looks like - at least some of the GW store scenery they try to add bits to the terrain.

Is this really the way terrain is going?

I thought WD was getting crappy, but this takes the piss, does this men we can expect to see the realm of battle featured in all the army shots and battle reports from now on? I used to actually enjoy (and get some inspiration) from the modelled terrain in WD and other GW publications, also going to different stores used to be interesting as you could see the boards which they had come up with.

Does this stupid flat square monstrosity piss anyone else off or am I just getting emotional over something silly, it seems to me that since its creation its become the single most detrimental to gaming product which GW has released?

Are you a store manager or staff member - if so can you answer me a question - has GW officially stopped house terrain in stores or is it just the peons in my area who push the plastic tray school of battlefields?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 10:45 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Npt sure about whether they will now only use their own terrain but it does make me miss some of the specially created boards like the Basilica featured in the EoT campaign. Apparently it does not even exist in Warhammer World and most people look at you like your are a freaking nutjob for thinking such a thing existed in the first place.

It has been soo long since he was in WD but George Dellapina (The guy who is nuts about orks and now spends his time painting FW stuff) always had interesting terrain to go with his mad armies.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 10:54 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I have not gotten a WD in a while and I vaguely know of the board you speak of but I just want to say that is one of the better rants I have heard in a while and from what your saying then its bullshit that they have set themselves into a rut with this battle board.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 11:07 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Damn games workshop trying to sell extras through the medium of white dwarf !! cheeky bastards

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Facts + Reason = Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Damn games workshop trying to sell extras through the medium of white dwarf !! cheeky bastards
Do they actually sell these? I haven't ever seen anyone say "I am really pleased with my (lobotomy) realm of battle, I bought it because (I am a stupid GW fanboy) its soo unique and am really looking forward (to my medicine) painting it in my own (excrement) colour choices"

I know WD is a fanboycomic/onebigadd but I used to like seeing different terrain for battle reports, is this gone forever? or just a one off power add for the grey squares?

Its no wonder WD is considered boring by most, one of the draws in the past was articles on how to make terrain, or paint models or convert models - it seems now that its a combination of idiots guides to daubing colour on things, how to glue yourself to a realm of battle by the eyes and battle reports glorifying armies which never win to try and make sales go up (come on - the Necrons beat something? it took a staged battlemissions battle to give them enough of an upper hand)

Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a WD rant - I could write pages on that. I honestly am interested in whether GW has decreed the realm of battle is the only gaming surface (except the fuzzy mat of WFB) for stores and furthermore has anyone bought it and does anyone like it
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 12:42 PM

Schizofen's Flag is: United Kingdom

I was actually thinking a similar thing myself the other day - that's it's getting a bit repetitive that every WD battle report etc just uses the same board painted a very slightly different colour. I know they want to sell more of them, but making everyone sick of seeing the same table again and again possibly won't help with that.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 12:47 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Not sure why all the hate - it's a decent bit of kit if you have the money, but not the time to make a decent gaming board.

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 01:04 PM

VeronaKid's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop5 View Post
Not sure why all the hate - it's a decent bit of kit if you have the money, but not the time to make a decent gaming board.
This.

I think it is a fairly nice board. It certainly doesn't stop you in any way from adding whatever themed terrain to it that you want. I am fairly certain that the RoB board and all of the the other "stock" terrain that GW sells is just marketed towards the "younger/richer" (for lack of a better term) demographic- less experienced modellers who want a sweet looking game to play, but who haven't yet learnt the ins and outs of ready-mix filler, styrofoam hot wire cutters, and PVA glue.

My biggest problem with the board is that it is almost $300. When I look at that, it makes my decision clear: 4'X8' sheet of styrofoam painted with textured paint for me!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 01:05 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I think WD have been using the board for a while now and it does get repetative. I do like the board, but wouldn't buy one persoanlly. For the cost it would be much cheaper to make several different boards for high density poly.

If it was the default GW gaming board they would have them all over the place at WHW, but they dont use them there currently.

On a side note I do like the range of WHF terrain that they are bringing out (the wizards tower for instance) and Im just trying to work out how I can convert it for 40k use.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Facts + Reason = Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
If it was the default GW gaming board they would have them all over the place at WHW, but they dont use them there currently.
If it ever happens I would die a little inside, it must be one of the signs of the apocalypse - as WW game boards are what every game board wants to grow up to be.

Quote:
On a side note I do like the range of WHF terrain that they are bringing out (the wizards tower for instance) and Im just trying to work out how I can convert it for 40k use.
I am sure the obligatory big gun would do that or a whole load of chaos cultist bits and some daubed graffiti and razor wire, would look good - post pics if you do 40kise one.

I can see why a kid might want one, the trouble there is as you have stated - kids would be lucky to afford one.

It makes me wonder if GW didn't just go and develop them not quite realising the final cost to manufacture and has been left plugging them to death ever since.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode