Most detrimental heap of plastic #!$@ GW makes (rant included) - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 04:17 PM

IanC's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop5 View Post
Not sure why all the hate - it's a decent bit of kit if you have the money, but not the time to make a decent gaming board.
Yeah same here... I like the RoB. But I have to admit im kinda glad that one of the boards at my local GW is a non-RoB one. Makes a nice change from the others :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 04:33 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

It doesn't take a genius to make a gaming board. Heck I made a 4x4 one when I was 14 out of MDF. Sure I had to get an adult to make some hills out of foam because my mum would not let me use hot wire cutters in case I loped my own finger off but it was fun, made a great little project and not as hard as you might think.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 04:54 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
It doesn't take a genius to make a gaming board.
No it doesn't. Then again, it doesn't take a genius to paint an army either and yet lots of people pay others to paint for them. Same principle.

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 05:09 PM

Not asure I understand the apparent anger on display here by some regarding this subject. You don't like the board don't buy one. Don't like some of the scenery? Don't buy that either. You already have stated you don't read WD so why would it being in there bother you so much? And why would you even care if others (regardless of age) decided to buy these products?

If some folks prefer to buy terrain kits over maing their own that is their business and should not cause you to get your panties in a bunch. I personally like some of their terrain and dislike some of it. I make some of my own terrain (not very well) and use some purchased from GW or others such as Armorcast, but as I only buy the terrain and models I like I really do no not care what they choose to advertise in their own magazine.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 05:40 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

I can completely understand the rant and anger. You used to get some really cool looking boards and scenery pictures and articles in White Dwarf magazine. It gave the customer ideas and different themes that a person could use to design and make their own stuff. Sometimes people need a bit of inspiration or visual assistance when they are making their own board or scenery pieces and WD had some good stuff for a person to use as such. It was also just plain nice to see really cool and special stuff for the sheer joy of looking at it!
The hobby aspect (the scratch building of scenery and tables mainly) has been redefined by GW as simply the realm of battle board and their plastic scenery kits. Gone are the truly imaginative and unique scenery and tables that made not only WD articles but the entire warhammer hobby more unique and special from the company that made and sold the stuff you liked.
The realm of battle board and prefab scenery has made the GW and WD staffers lazy and they rely solely on the board and scenery for everything now and it has become stale and annoying. I get your rant and I feel your pain. But, I haven't bought a WD in well over a decade so I am not affected.

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 01-04-11 at 05:44 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 11:05 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

A friend of mine bought 6 squares of which 2 where so bent out of shape they wouldn't fit. Poorly made, BUT he did get a brand new 6 tile set refund and they didn't even want the old one back, effectively giving him 10 tiles for the price of 6.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 11:15 PM

5tonsledge's Flag is: USA

promoting sales. GW gives stores game boards or in this case WD and they take pics of them using the board. In that case people see the board pieces and decide hey those are pretty cool i dont have to scratch build terrain anymore.
The problem is when you own a shop you are almost expected to have house terrain which can soak up a lot of your time. These kits maybe one of the best ways for shops to supply players with terrain without having to put quite as many man hours into it.
My cousin and I are building terrain now, so when we open are shop in probably 4-6 years from now we will have plenty of terrain.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 11:27 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop5 View Post
Not sure why all the hate - it's a decent bit of kit if you have the money, but not the time to make a decent gaming board.
no time to make one? bullshit, it costs 10-15 for 6x4 board which you can get cut into squares in minutes, flock it (which you do with the GW one as well) which takes a day including drying...and your done.

so making your own takes exactly the same amount of time as driving to a GW and buying a GW board and flocking it, less time than ordering a GW board, and a fuckton less money which you save to spend on terrain.

and unlike a board which has stupid skulls buried in it it becomes more versatile allowing you to play other games on it that might look stupid with skulls involved.

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 01-05-11 at 09:04 AM.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 03:08 AM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

realm of battle.......rediculously over priced peice of plastic.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

I have one. I won it though. It's really heavy! Very nice but, like most GW non-models, not worth the price.

Strange, but not a Stranger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode