How Do You Pick Your Missions/Scenarios? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

How Do You Pick Your Missions/Scenarios?

I was just looking through the Battle Missions book (Great concept, but some of the missions should have been playtested a few more times), and was thinking how missions/scenarios have changed over the years- From 2nd ed. (When I started) with the mission cards (Not a bad idea, especially with secondary objectives) to the current edition with the randomizing of set-up and scenario.

Lately, most of the games I've been in have used the Battle Missions book as our group has been around for awhile and the basic missions were getting stale. One guy (We usually give each guy a turn) usually picks the mission from the book, then asks the other guys (Through email) if there are any problems playing that one. Seems to work well, and we've had some really memorable games.

So I'd like to know- How do you pick the missions/scenarios for your games? Do you just show up and randomly roll one out of the book, or do you and your opponent come up with custom scenarios? Or do you simply drop the idea of a scenario and get right to the killing? How do you decide who picks the scenario? Do you use the Battle Missions book, and if so, how often?

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 12:04 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

I don't have the battle missions book so, it's just from the generic ones from the rulebook. Genereally, we roll a dice for it, then play it. Same with the type of map etc.

Either that, or we make up our own and play that (I have some good ideas for a new type of mission :D)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 12:08 PM

Hooobit's Flag is: England

Normally just pick which ever armies we want to use and then make a scenario to suit it, like having only 800pts of elites and heavy support (without the maximum number of choices e.g. 4 heavy support) vs 1600pts of a regular force, the winner is the first person to destroy half of the enemy, either points or total force.

Play it on a long table and have a riot.

Everyone has a purpose, just so happens mine is more of an example to others of what NOT to do.

I know it's time to go to bed when the last post in every thread has been written by me.

Hooobit, nothing more nothing less.
XBL: Hooobit
PSN: Hooobit

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 12:56 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Typically we'll randomly generate one from the rulebook using the Standard Missions. If we're not practicing for a tournament or anything then we'll often use Battle Missions. If we're all gearing up for an event of some kind we'll play the missions from the tournament or whatever if we can get a hold of those.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 03:28 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

Its easy for me and my friends we get together and just roll with whatever feels good at the time.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 03:40 PM

Dragearen's Flag is: USA

We don't have the Battle Missions book at our LGS, so we either roll for it, or a lot of people will just automatically say it's Annihilation and Pitched Battle(I strongly encourage rolling because I get tired of those, and I love objectives and also the other two deployments). At tournaments we always just roll.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 03:41 PM

Ascendant's Flag is: USA

My friends and I are trying to tighten our games up, so we just roll from the ones in the rulebook. Not as unique as battle missions, but great practice.

Check my Purgators progress log, and give me crap for not working on them enough!
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=64616
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 03:48 PM
CO 3rd Thoth ACR

Capt.Al'rahhem's Flag is: USA

Me & my regular, friendly, opponent roll it using the rulebook but he has agreed to not do Kill Points anymore as even he can see how it's unfair to IG (he, SM, has 8KP I, IG, have 18kp).

Like most people say that is getting a bit stale so I'm going to take the Battle Missions book over & the 4th Ed. BGB and discuss with him the missions in both and lay whatever we thinks cool.

As we both play the same armies pretty much all the time we might start some narative &/or campaign type games.

"Most wars are wars of contact, both forces striving into touch to avoid tactical surprise. Our's shall be a war of detachment. We are to contain the enemy by the silent threat of the vast, unknown desert...." T.E. Lawrence

Unrepentant Treadhead
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 05:36 PM

angelXD19's Flag is: USA

Location: a little town called..none of your goddamn business

we just play the missions in the BRB. the group here are not fans of the battle missions. they seem a little one sided

I LOVE STEALING. I LOVE TAKING THINGS- Bender

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 06:06 PM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

Battle Missions are silly. Not particularly bad or anything, just silly. If your race is the original theme of the scenarion then you start on a 2+ most of the time where it benefits you, and I've yet to see one thats not something I can come up with in 5 minutes.

Most of my opponents know that I ignore objectives most of the time and I aim for a massacre because nothing says "you won" like the mangled corpses of your enemies covering the battlefield like a Khornate carpet, so we roll for deployment most of the time but we enjoy Annihilation the most. I prefer decisive victories over the "I have more objectives/KPs you lose" bullshit (it can get so silly... I mean, 80% of my force was blown away, but I managed to get 1 more KP than my opponent so I won, even though the remainder of his army would have gunned down my few lads hanging in there... thats not a victory in my book, no sir), except when playing in tournaments when I must put up with the rulewankery.

Or campaigns. They're the best. I remember playing a game where no vehicles were allowed (fluffwise the terrain was too risky for vehicles blahblahblah)... I gunned down the then-new Space Wolves with my CSM, losing only 1-2 CSM I think... I loved it.

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode