tired of special characters - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

angelXD19's Flag is: USA

Location: a little town called..none of your goddamn business
Default tired of special characters

i don't know if it's just me but I'm sick of seeing special characters constantly played. I don't mind people playing them once in a while but are people such bad generals they can't live without there precious ghaz or eldrad.

here is my example

yesterday i went to a local gw store ( first time going ) since I wanted to play a different crowed. I played two games each of them were two on two. so i take my GK army. now first game I get teamed up with daemon player with fateweaver. we go against orks and DE. orks have gaz DE have vect. so boring

next game I get teamed up with a space wolf player with grimnar. our opponents were orks ( different player ) also with ghaz and a chaos marine player with abbadon.

really can't they just use regular hq or do they suck that badly without them

I LOVE STEALING. I LOVE TAKING THINGS- Bender

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:10 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

there was another thread like this. You kind of sound like your raging about this, did you lose to them? is that it?

Consider this, I want to play a Salamanders SM army, how do I incorporate their masterful weapons of war, and their preferance for heat based weapons. WAIT! I'VE GOT IT! I'll use Vulkan He'stan.

I want to play a White Scars Army, but a captain on bike doesnt do it for me, wait a second..Khorsarro Khan?!

My Red corsairs need an iconic leader..whats this? Huron Blackheart?!

You get the idea. Of course people run them often, their good. Its only logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #3 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:14 PM

Vrykolas2k's Flag is: USA

Yes, but then you get the... wait for it... homebrew Chapter led by Calgar/ Khan/ Vulcan/ whatever, for no logical reason other than they can't make their own Chapter Master/ Captain.
Or Ultramarines led by Khan/ Vulcan/ Cantor/ Shrike.
And so on on on ad nauseum.

Vae victus.

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your damned BOOK!"
-Patton

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

post #4 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:14 PM

Ascendant's Flag is: USA

I think it would be good to think about what bothers you about special characters. They Have come a long way since needing armies of certain sizes and special permission to play them, and GW is pretty clearly making them have a larger role in game.

Do you hate the fact that, fluff-wise Ghaz seems to be leading every raiding party in the universe? Or do you just think that they're unbalanced? I feel like they are pretty well costed for the most part, and I like how they can allow armies to be run in different ways. Would footslog orks be as compelling without that delicious 6" Waaagh? Or would those players just start rolling in battlewagons as a safe alternative?

Check my Purgators progress log, and give me crap for not working on them enough!
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=64616
post #5 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:18 PM

Vrykolas2k's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant View Post
I think it would be good to think about what bothers you about special characters. They Have come a long way since needing armies of certain sizes and special permission to play them, and GW is pretty clearly making them have a larger role in game.

Do you hate the fact that, fluff-wise Ghaz seems to be leading every raiding party in the universe? Or do you just think that they're unbalanced? I feel like they are pretty well costed for the most part, and I like how they can allow armies to be run in different ways. Would footslog orks be as compelling without that delicious 6" Waaagh? Or would those players just start rolling in battlewagons as a safe alternative?
I never liked the permission thing, that's well rid-of... however, the armies of certain sizes/ leading specific armies should have been kept.

Vae victus.

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your damned BOOK!"
-Patton

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
post #6 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:22 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Ever think people just love the fluff around them? You seem particularly bitchy for no good reason.

I love to use a counts-as Logan Grimnar in my ęsir army because he let's me field WG as troops. Does that make me a bad ge.... I am going to say player because calling yourself a general for playing with plastic toys sounds like the behavior of a pompous ass. But I digress. Does using him make me a bad player? Fuck no. It just means I have the intelligence to recognize my playing style and use the character that allows me to do that.

You don't like it, don't play it.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #7 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:25 PM

jaws900's Flag is: England

I take them for FLUFF. I have few named heros in my armys.
Lysander - I play Imperial Fists
Prince Yriel - I play Iyanden Eldar
Baharroth - I have a large number of "crimson Vulters" or Swooping hawks
The Sanguinor - Can be use dfor any chapture and i love the mdoal more than anything else.
Gabriel Seth - I needed him for a tornment and i somethime suse him to prepsent a Captain.
Hawker - I play Catachan
My Chaos and Tyranid don't even have any special charatures.

I play fluffy and personly i think it's stupid someone complaing that you are playing a game fluffy or that you just love the modal

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

People i have turned into Chaos Spawn
Marneus Calgar
Pedro Kantor
Terminator Chaplin
Terminator Apothecary
post #8 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

angelXD19's Flag is: USA

Location: a little town called..none of your goddamn business

sven- tied the first ( good old football mission ) and won the second.

don't get me wrong I do see how they can help armies seem more fluffy but when people just seem to want to run special characters constantly in there list it's just annoying.

ascendant- fluff reasons I suppose. would you really think all these big important people would be in this little battle at once.

I LOVE STEALING. I LOVE TAKING THINGS- Bender

post #9 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 04:32 PM
Unforgiven

gally912's Flag is: USA

Special Characters now-a-days aren't just cool guys with spiffy rules.

They're integral parts of an army list that changes the way the army plays on a fundamental level. You cannot run an all veteran list without Pedro. If somebody wants to play a Sternguard list, they are going to need him. So, I'm totally happy when I see a custom painted army that is using its 1st company vets, led by a count-as Pedro.

Its fun, and adds variety.

The only problem you may find is when you run in to a special character that is too good NOT to take. Looking at you, vulkan.

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is no Common Sense.
post #10 of 120 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 05:08 PM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

I can understand why it's tiring to see them so often (although I think they're great myself) but that's jut how the game is these days. The special characters tend to be both a) awesome and b) add some sort of character or theme to the army. Chances are they won't be going away anytime soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode