Can you see yourself playing 40k in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 11:35 PM
ROT

ROT's Flag is: Djibouti

Location: Essex, that shit hole you drive through to get to london.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris View Post
I was just thinking about how long I've been playing 40k (Since the early 1990's), and was trying to picture myself playing in 5, 10, or even twenty more years. I KNOW 40k-ers who are in their fifties, but I don't know if I can see myself playing at that age...

So what about you folks? Can you see yourselves pushing around Space Marines in 5 years? 10 years? Or even 20 years from now? Can you see yourself teaching your grandkids how to play? Or do you think you will have moved onto other things by then?
Not unless I can adapt to enjoying competitive play.

It's become clear to me that 40k is a game for competitiveness, which as much as I hate that; It kinda makes sense.

I enjoy playing fluffy armies, and I complain when I get beaten by GT lists; but it's only recently, tonight infact; that I've realised that what I'm suggesting is insane.
Simplifying what I've been looking for; is for everyone to play stupid lists, so when I play fluffy lists; I don't get ridiculed and wiped off the table.

As I say; I realise now that what I'm asking for is stupid, why should other people play like retards so that I can piss about successfully.

But; to sum up - Unless I can learn to appreciate another aspect of the game, other than 'Fluffy army lists' - I'm not going to be respected as a player, which will ultimately put me off the game, meaning I wouldn't be playing it for as long as I might hope.

The guy who wishes he never sold all his warhammer. Haha. Such is life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 11:37 PM

VanitusMalus's Flag is: Australia

interesting point jimmy gunn.

But yes I've been playing since I was 13 and I can see myself still playing for who knows how long. My daughter has already collected and painted 5 models (she still needs a little work on them) and she's read one of the 40K novels (she's 8). I don't see any reason to stop unless say an individual becomes blind or loses their hands but playing in your sixties is possible.

The only factor in will I continue to play is monetary. As long as I have the money to collect and play I will but if life changes on me for whatever reason financially it'll have to go.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 12:03 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

There are 20 odd guys who I play with..a lot. The yougest is 34, oldest is 67. The older guys in this group are the ones who probably buy more models and paint more also.

So yes, if the interest and enjoyment is still 'in you' then why the hell not

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 12:52 AM

search116's Flag is: USA

I probably be playing it at my summer house when I'm eighty yelling waagh or for sanguinius at my friend when were playing.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 12:54 AM
ROT

ROT's Flag is: Djibouti

Location: Essex, that shit hole you drive through to get to london.

Quote:
Originally Posted by search116 View Post
I probably be playing it at my summer house when I'm eighty yelling waagh or for sanguinius at my friend when were playing.
Don't old people die when you shout at them?

...or is that your tactic!? You sneaky bastard.

The guy who wishes he never sold all his warhammer. Haha. Such is life.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris View Post
I'd LIKE to think I'll be playing 40k at that age, but with all my current health issues I probably won't live that long. Maybe somebody will invent a real Golden Throne?
Saddam Hussein had one. It didn't help his longevity at all...

I support Exterminatus.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 01:59 AM

Yes, I can see myself playing Warhammer in 5,10, 20 and even 40 or more years. I am planning on teaching my kid's how to play and about it very young so they play it too
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 02:07 AM

Treesnifer's Flag is: USA

Hm. I still remember playing WWII army men and Civil War with my brother when I was 6 (He was 8.) And your army was as good as your aim with a marble, rubber band, or rock...depending on if we were at the dinner table or the garden. Rule #1 - Once placed, you cannot move a figure. Belly snipers rule!!!

The early years of table top with first D&D minis (Battleforce rules) and progressing to armies of Mechs for Battletech. The times gazing admiringly at the Rogue Trader, which I still have, and wondering where other than Berkley, Ca I would be able to even find GW models, which was some time in the eighties. Until I was finally an adult and had a job and could buy my army of Epic Squats!!!! (Pictures coming, per request of Viscount Vash) Our short foray into Warhammer Fantasy with the Undead, and now preparing to move 2 kids and a wife (my wife had gamed since before we met in high school) into 40K?

I haven't stopped playing with army men in over 35 years. What's another 20 at this point?

The Book of Grudges will know their name.

The Worlds of J.D. Barbera
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 02:14 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

i like Stuntiegirls logic, have kids & brainwash them to love & play 40k.

ya i can see myself playing till i die, its my hobby, what i add to my armies is the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-10, 02:59 AM

marcch's Flag is: Canada

I can see myself playing pretty much until the end. I might even have more models painted. I've already been wargaming since the 1960's...oh yeah I'm one of those old guys you're talking about!

If your plan seems to be working...something's wrong

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode