Help? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Nyustukyi's Flag is: USA

Default Help?

I know armies are to be chosen by you for your own set up.

I am thinking on starting a second army. The list I have is as follows, for the next army set up:

Black Templars
Witch Hunters(Our dear Sisters of Battle)
Grey Knights
Tau

Now on these here is my question, which one?

Black Templars- I REALLY WANT. Just I am a fraid that because of their outdated Codex will not work out to well. I love the whole set up and I would love to field them.

Sisters of Battle- Same as Black Templars, just they don't seem that competive to me. Input?

Grey Knights-Love em. Just a friend plays them, and I hatre copying people, and they seem like a point hole.

Tau, no hand to hand and hard to play.

Now please put input I really want to know what you guys think. I am really wanting to buy a Black Templar army but it just seems like a lost cause, you input is greatly wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 02:58 AM

they all are within the next 5 codex's to get updated so don't worry about that.

Everything I've ever done comes down to the roll of this one dice... and it was a 1
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 03:02 AM

Hate to sound clichéd, but pick the one that looks better to you or the one whose fluff you enjoy more.

I support Exterminatus.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 03:15 AM

WinZip's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
Hate to sound clichéd, but pick the one that looks better to you or the one whose fluff you enjoy more.
Also pick the army that best fits your play style, do you like long ranged shooty armies or do you like close combat?

"Blood cries out to blood they say, so let us spill their blood so we can hear it all the clearer."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Nyustukyi's Flag is: USA

I like a mix of both, but I love sword welding hand to hand fighters.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 03:17 AM
Banned
ChugginDatHaterade's Flag is: Russia

Tau are definitely the best and most powerful of those armies, and not really any harder or easier to play.

Go with what you want though, since you have to buy the army.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 03:21 AM

WinZip's Flag is: USA

I would say Black Templars then because they have the sword brethren for that sword wielding, and the crusader squads for your shootiness. Plus there updated codex is coming out soon.

"Blood cries out to blood they say, so let us spill their blood so we can hear it all the clearer."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 03:39 AM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

You don't have to use Codex:Black Templars to play Black Templars. Any of the other Marine codices aill do if you have your doubts about it.

As for Sisters and Grey Knights, you cannot realy start collecting them. Their codices are out of print and their models are direct-only and entirely in blisters.

One minimum-size squad of Sisters is £52.50. You're looking at at least £155 for a 500 point army... Oh, and if you like close-combat, even a bit, avoid Sisters and Tau.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

Last edited by Azezel; 11-19-10 at 03:44 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 12:18 PM

jaws900's Flag is: England

Personly i would say Black Templars....why? Well i don't see them often, the conversions are epic, they have rathe rgood rules (only ever gone agianst them once) and you don't see them often. Sisters and Gray kngihts will cost a fortune are are highly likely to get new codex's soon and tau well seems the weakest becuase you didn't say you loved them.

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

People i have turned into Chaos Spawn
Marneus Calgar
Pedro Kantor
Terminator Chaplin
Terminator Apothecary
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 02:23 PM

The Black Templar Codex while an older Codex is hardly unplayable or out-dated. It actually can perform quite well in 5th edition and I have had one loss with my Templars and I think two draws in about a dozen games with them so far in 5th and that includes beat-downs of Space Wolf and Blood Angel armies on a few occassions.

Ultimately, if you like the close combat aspects of things the Templars are the one army you listed that would really specialize in that sort of thing, with the Tau being the absolute worst (from that standpoint) of the armies you are looking at. In my opinion the best way to choose an army is to pick one you like the look of and that seems to have the play style you want to try.

As someone who paints all of his models and is really into that side of the hobby, the look of the things is generally more important to me than the competitive nature of the army, which probably explains my Ogre Kingdoms and Dwarf armies in fantasy and why my Imperial Guard are not mechanized. My army lists will often have choices in them that the uber-competitors will tell you should never be in there, but if I like the models chances are they will be in my lists on occassion.

Your opinion is obviously the most important thing here, so if you are into collecting and/or painting, then choose the army that is, in your opinion, the one with the best looking models. If you are only interested in the game play portion of the hobby then look around and read some battle reports to see how the various armies function on the tabletop and then pick the one that you think works the best for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode