How different would 40k be... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-10, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default How different would 40k be...

If it had been made by an American Company rather than a British one?

I always imagine the British mind set to be rather more cynical and bitter than the, in comparison, naively optimistic American one (though some of the yanks on Heresy are bitter as hell).

How do you think those cultural differences would have affected the development of the 40k universe/game? Do you think there would have been any differences, or even that my summary of the national mind sets is wildly off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-10, 10:43 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

It would have disappeared by now for starters, I dont know if is stereotype but i get the feeling the american public suffers from short attention spans, plus i think it would have been a game to make a fast buck and then move on to the next thing.
One of GW's strenghts (and some would say weaknesses) in my eyes is that they take things slowly and release new stuff all the time because they understand the collecting side of the hobby, i think if it had been an american company( or anyone else for that matter) it would have been like "BAM here's 40k and everything that goes with it,thanks for the cash see you later suckers"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-10, 11:01 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
It would have disappeared by now for starters, I dont know if is stereotype but i get the feeling the american public suffers from short attention spans, plus i think it would have been a game to make a fast buck and then move on to the next thing.
One of GW's strenghts (and some would say weaknesses) in my eyes is that they take things slowly and release new stuff all the time because they understand the collecting side of the hobby, i think if it had been an american company( or anyone else for that matter) it would have been like "BAM here's 40k and everything that goes with it,thanks for the cash see you later suckers"
There's no guarantee of that, but it's possible, yeah. Not like America hasn't produced any good IPs, but this is a bit different.

If it was produced by an American company, I think it would've gotten slammed for "intolerance, slavery, lack of humanity, xenophobia (literally)," and God-knows-what-else. I don't think it would've been shut down or anything, but if it got really popular, it'd probably be attacked and boycotted by whiny children (that's what I think of them). Most people wouldn't care, as is the case now, but God help us if it started appealing to "children" (anywhere from 10-16 year olds). There would be quite the uproar.

I'm American, though, and I love the Warhammer world. How popular is it in England? I know that's where it started, but I don't think it's much different than in the States. Some people like it, but the majority know little or nothing about it.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-10, 11:08 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

An American Company would certainly have dropped the least performing Armies, based on Sales performance. We wouldn't see any of the Inquisitions, Necrons, hell probably nothing other than SM/CSM...in other words the Battlefield Background of 40K wouldn't survive the battlefield that is the American Corporation's weekly Sales Management meetings.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-10, 11:19 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think that it would be unlikely to be as bleak as it is- sure its the far future but the fact that everyone's fighting pretty much everyone else, there is no 'good' race as such and that the imperium is actually just about the worst, cruelest systems of government ever to be conceived has got to be a reflection of the deprevation and discontentment of the north of England back when GW was first formed...
... scary thought- is Maggy Thatcher the real life version of the Emperor? *shudder* Now the whole corpse-god thing starts to make a lot more sense

EDIT- Im not sure we could say 'An American Company' would have done anything... remember that for a long time GW wasnt really a company as such, just a collection of gamers that happened to make and sell their own figures/rules; profit didnt seem to be the principle aim at one point.

In the UK 40k isnt exactly popular but most people will have heard of it and vaguely know what it is. It might be seen as geeky but I expect its the old dont know/dont care case of those that knows its xenophobic understand the 40k universe and dont care while those that would care dont know enough about the background to realise the level of intollerance out there (beond the 'lets fight' aspect of a wargame).
But either way racism isnt exactly a big problem in Britain, and even when it does raise its head its much more a eastern european (or previously indian/pakistani) view rather then the black/white/hispanic that TV tells me is the problem in the US (ah TV, my greatest teacher)... so skin colour is a much smaller part of it. Though on a related note a friend of mine did an arbited army with black criminals and white guards and thought it might be crossing a line... so he made the general black just to even it up a bit... bit of a prophetic soul that guy

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 07-29-10 at 11:27 PM.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-10, 11:20 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

It would have been a lot more difficult to get "popular" or to get to a state where there is a store in most cities in the UK. Since some states are like bigger than the size of the UK, it would have been a lot more difficult due to costs etc.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-10, 12:36 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

It would be vastly different.... I doubt it would have even lasted this long. I don't know if it would be more violent but I have an odd feeling it would be. TBF I don't think Americans are to terribly optimistic..... although we tend not to accept a no win situation.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 07-30-10 at 12:45 AM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-10, 01:07 AM

The Psyker's Flag is: USA

What difference does it make? Its totally irrelevant weather or not 40K was created by an englishman or an american.

I find that this thread is dangerously close to kindling a flame war, all it takes is for some sixteen year old american or super patriot to creep on this thread and BAM! So if I were you I'd spare everyone the drama and quit making comparisons about UK Vs America.

We both have widely different cultures and its only going to start crap with the less mature members of the Heresy.

Thats just my opinion on this unnecessary thread.

Edit - I'm not trying to troll or bash on anyone. I just think Baron should have went about describing it differently.

But thats just me an my short "American Captialist" attention span.

+ Discipline leads to Victory +
+ It is Victory in War that brings Immortality +
+ Immortality is the Gift of Chaos +
+ In exchange, Chaos demands Blood +
+ Thus, Blood must be ever spilt +
+ Therefore, Eternal Life demands Eternal War +
+ Eternal War demands Eternal Discipline +
+ Chaos will always have Blood: Yours or Theirs +

+ Speech given to the members of the Black Legions Cohort of the Damned before the battle of Nikelas. Attributed to the Alpha Legion Breviary +

Last edited by The Psyker; 07-30-10 at 01:16 AM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-10, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Edit: in the end if this turns into a crap fest it'll be shut down and I might get a bollocking, but until then it's a friendly discussion with (hopefully) reasonable people- your concern has been noted though.

Last edited by Baron Spikey; 07-30-10 at 01:54 AM. Reason: unnecessary sarcasm- it's been sorted
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-10, 01:24 AM

The Psyker's Flag is: USA

Thanks for misconstruing my words there Baron.

I didn't say any other content around here is irrelevant you just skimmed through my post and immediately saw that I was being a little critical. What I am trying to say is that this American Vs English crap is getting a little tired. We're all equal FREE men of the world, it doesn't matter who made what and who comes from where. As a moderator I'd have thought you'd put a little more thought into this thread, that is all I am saying.

So with that said I take leave of this thread.

+ Discipline leads to Victory +
+ It is Victory in War that brings Immortality +
+ Immortality is the Gift of Chaos +
+ In exchange, Chaos demands Blood +
+ Thus, Blood must be ever spilt +
+ Therefore, Eternal Life demands Eternal War +
+ Eternal War demands Eternal Discipline +
+ Chaos will always have Blood: Yours or Theirs +

+ Speech given to the members of the Black Legions Cohort of the Damned before the battle of Nikelas. Attributed to the Alpha Legion Breviary +

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode