I need advice on a new army! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Default I need advice on a new army!

Hi

Recently (well, not really recently) I received from a friend approx 60 Warriors, 3 Destroyers, Lord with Res Orb, Tomb Spyder and 5 Scarab Swarms. What always put me off Necrons was that I had to buy lots of Warriors before I could make a start on the fun stuff. Are they a good force? I haven't seen them in action yet, but I have the Codex and they generally seem like a solid army. Having all the Warriors I could possibly want at maybe even 2500 pts at a push, Necrons seem much more tempting to me now.

The other army is Imperial Guard. I have the Codex for them also, and a single squad of salvaged guys (7 Guardsmen, Sarge and Heavy Bolter team) and that's the Battleforce I'm doing for the Hobby Camp in this Summer Holiday. They seem about as solid gamingwise as Necs, but more fun to paint and a lot more versatile (but I really like that Egyptian feel and I have more models for Necs)

What would you advise?

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 07:42 PM

Dawnstar's Flag is: New Zealand

Personally, as far as the codex I would pick Imperial Guard. You'll never run out of things to shoot, and there's a few different play styles as well. With Necrons, it's more of a one-trick pony, as you can really only field one or two lists that will make a difference (well, at least until the new codex come out that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Mate, bacon can do anything.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-10, 07:49 PM

Starbuck's Flag is: USA

Yeah gaming wise the ig are a better choice. But personally I like them for painting modeling and the whole deal. For necs you would need more destroyers for sure and probably a lith or two. They are quicker/easier to paint tho. It really comes down to what you want out of it. Personally I think you should go guard and just slowly add to the necs.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-10, 02:46 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

I say, go with what you have. I'd give Necrons a try. If you don't like them, then you could always give them back.

Right now you have about 1500 points worth of Necron, and everything you have is definitely effective. The only thing you're really missing, if you want to push toward higher point levels, are 1-2 Monoliths. Monoliths are absolutely amazing, and I'd definitely get some (or proxy them in casual games to see how you like the Necron).

Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-10, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll try and get a list sorted and then post it in the relevant area.The lith is definitely my favourite model from GW, but now I gotta paint all that metal...

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-10, 06:51 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

With the current release schedual, and the rumours, Necrons are meant to be the second codex being redone next year after Grey Knights / Daemonhunters, so I'd wait before starting them.

IG are always going to be IG, no matter what happens to them, they've never changed much and never will, so you always know what your going to get from them. Plus they have alot of options with the differnt army themes and list builds. IG are a good army to paint and play with, provided you like camoflage and tanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-10, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Today I went into a model shop in Grantham and bought a Ratling squad. So, within a month, I will have 3 Infantry Squads (Will be used as Vets for the mo), a Company Command, a Sentinel (Still not sure what configuration I'm going to use yet, maybe a Scout Sentinel with Autocannon), a Ratling Squad and 3 Heavy Weapons teams (Thinking Lascannons, anyone got any info on what to give them).

Midnight

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode