Power Gamers are they Myth or Fact? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-10, 02:27 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis108 View Post
No, that is still breaking, because you are not using the LC. If you are not using a weapon to opt to use another weapon, as it says in the BRB, the rules do not carry over. It is one or the other, not both. So that IS breaking, as it is a direct violation of what is written.
Well that would depend entirely upon how its written. If it says any attacks then there would be s small ledge for a jackass to grab a hold of but no one would allow it. Its just an example of how someone could try and stretch a rule that would have some grounds for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-10, 07:31 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

A power gamer is a player who simply does whatever he can to maximize his chances of winning a game within the rules of the game. That is what power gaming has been in every single type of game out there, from table tops to MMO's.

The key thing there is they act within the rules set forth in the BGB and all FAQ's posted. They check judgements passed at tourny's for settling RAW vs RAI. If you're playing them they most likly have a binder with all the FAQ's printed to make a referance.

The sad thing is many people associate "Power Gaming" with blatent and utter duchebaggery (thanks CLT40k I like that term). This is not the case. Power Gaming is an approach one takes to the game, not to other players. You could play a guy who makes a "fluffy" list that has some really good choices that he may explain with his own homebrew fluff, but he could have made those choices based on efficent point use and his own playstlye. Meanwhile you could play a kid who just copy and pastes a list from 'Ard Boyz that totally sucks at the game itself, and he'll be wondering why he lost.

MJAYC50, from his own description sounds like an actual Power Gamer. Someone who knows the rules inside and out and doesn't stand for BS that he knows is untrue. For all of you guys that let people stretch the rules to the point of sheer stupidity (and the rules were ment to be stretched, all table top rules are) then its your own fault for having a crappy time playing the game.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-10, 08:41 AM

AngryCanadian's Flag is: Canada

well i guess im a power gamer then

as i dont like to argue about the Deff-Rolla's effectiveness against vehicles i printed out the FAQ and bring it with me.

You know not having the Faqs or knowing them for your own army could be considered cheating, as they are corrections/elaborations to your codex

how else whould i know if a Wierdboy in a vehicle ends up DS'ing himself across the table if the vehicle goes or just him and the unit inside

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-10, 08:52 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

Don't most people bring the FAQ with them for their army? I have a binder with all the FAQ from each army.... I know that's a bit much but shouldn't you have your dexes FAQ with you? Lol
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-10, 09:54 AM

MJayC50's Flag is: United Kingdom

yea, Joe smoe from down the road who plays in his mums basement with his mate for fun doesnt need an faq, maybe he doesnt even know it exists. for him it doesnt matter. Hell you dont have to use the FAQ - just everyone who plays for more than the cinematic NEEDS it to make it fair and transparent. Thats what faq's are all about. Making the playing field level. By that i mean that everyone knows what each unit is capable of so there are no suprises in the game that effect the out come, as you didnt know what unit A could do. Thats why you need to read every codex, read every FAQ, hell, even proxy some models and play with a new army. try to figure out some cool tricks with new things as homework for when you get to play someone who has invested time and money into the new book. That gets those suprise wins out the way and sends them back to the game store asking for a refund!

As for the statement that hes a pussy in close combat... ignore that. He shreds things. Nothing with Str 10, 5 attacks that ignore invunerable saves should be called a pussy. - JackalMJ

*** Oxford Gaming Club Blog ***
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-10, 10:22 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

There are different definitions of a power gamer.

- A person that copy/pastes powerful lists.
- A person that wants to WAAC.
- A person that is unsportsmanlike.
- A person that knows the rules like the back of their hand.
- A person that tries to exploit rules to their advantage.
- A person that simply builds effective lists.
- A person that plays skillfully.

I do NOT copy/paste lists.
I do NOT want to WAAC. It doesn't bother me if i lose.
I always get the highest sportsmanship scores at tournaments.
I DO know the rules like the back of my hand.
I do NOT try to exploit rules to my advantage.
I DO build effective lists.
I DO play skillfully.

My group of regular players consider me a power gamer, but only because i build effective lists and play skillfully, which results in me winning 90% of my games.

However, it does not bother me if i win or lose. Like everyone, i play to win, but if my opponent beats me i enjoy the challenge and congratulate them on a good game and compliment their skill.

Players are happy to play against me because i make the game a fun experience. I compliment them on certain tactics they use, and always show enthusiasm for the opponent to win.
For example, if they need a 5 or 6 to blow up MY vehicle, i will always say "Come on! 5 or a 6!", then say "Nice work!" when they get it.

If we have a new player at the club, i will play with less skill and go easy on them, and make it as close as possible. I take no pride in beating a new player.
A common phrase we use at our club is "Annihilating a newbie is like bashing up a cripple kid and bragging about it".

So yes, i consider myself a power gamer, but ONLY because i build effective lists and play them skillfully.
As far as all of the other negative definitions listed above, none of them describe me.

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-10, 10:55 AM

Lucio's Flag is: USA

Generally I think of power gamers as the guys who pick up a new army everytime a new codex comes out just so they can win with it, the guys who only show up to tournaments and don't give two cents about the condition of the store when they leave, bring competitive and leaf blower lists against fun-lists, stretching rules that have an obvious point with the "but it don't said exactly that, durdur" and/or the that whines when you narrowly beat his army out of pure luck.

Some of these are more universal and some are focused on our specific store (cleanliness and caring about the space as the owner is not fond of miniatures and has threatened to throw our stuff out if we leave it a mess.)

Last edited by Lucio; 07-08-10 at 10:59 AM.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-09-10, 06:44 AM

Corporal Chaos's Flag is: USA

Hmm..well my interpretation of power gamer was someone who abused the build of a FOC soley to win. However I have met the "Win at all cost" type of power gamer. I am willing to play anybody who stays within the rules, that said, I do not really consider 2 5 man tac combat squads and a basic capt and all other unit slots maxed out a "Fluffy" army but if that is what shows up I am gonna do my best to pound it on the table. Power gamer and Cheesey gamer are probably interchangeable terms, depentant on your era of 40K. Beardy well that is another type...I may be considered beardy. I like to play using the models I like from my collection, not because of an ability or special rule but because in RT and 2ed they were loved. I have old models that were my heros and units that were special because of when I got them and the time I put into them before FOC's and such. I dunno , I guess there are power gamers out there in it only for the win. I like to win, oh yes, but I like playing so much more. I have spent 20 years in this hobby and I want to use the minitures I have painted and assembled reguardless of win/loss ratio. I think I have drifted off topic so I will sign off for now..

I am the Infantry !
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-09-10, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I just find power gamers as people that just suck the life out of the game. They bring a competitive army and don't let their opponent know they want a competitive game. This way they steam roll their opponents laughing all the time how great they are. I don't mind competitive players as long as I know that they want a competitive game.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-09-10, 07:29 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfangdakka View Post
I just find power gamers as people that just suck the life out of the game. They bring a competitive army and don't let their opponent know they want a competitive game. This way they steam roll their opponents laughing all the time how great they are. I don't mind competitive players as long as I know that they want a competitive game.
Bring some rope and you won't get raped. It's not the competitive gamers problem you weren't ready with your A game. Maybe it's just me but if I bring a fluffy list and he brings an ass grinder I am not going to blame him because it tables me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode